Notices
Evo 'For Sale' Suspension / Brakes / Handling Includes pads, rotors, springs, shocks, swaybars, and other handling related components.

Fortune Auto - Assembled in the USA | Track Proven | Tightest Quality Control

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fortune Auto - Assembled in the USA | Track Proven | Tightest Quality Control

Vivid Racing is proud to announce that we are now an Authorized Dealer for Fortune Auto!! Before coming to Vivid Racing, I was at a coilover company and I can say confidently that Fortune Auto has a better product than just about everything in their class.

Fortune Auto assembles all coilovers in the USA at their Powhatan, VA facility and does extensive quality control on all dampers. In addition to tight quality control, Fortune Auto has proven their product on and off the track and their assembly techs ensure that each set of dampers are matched for unparalleled handling and ride comfort. No excessive variation from corner to corner with Fortune Auto coilovers.

Fortune Auto also offers Swift Springs as an optional upgrade on the 500 and 510 series. The Dreadknaught series comes standard with Swift Springs. All Fortune Auto coilovers use industry standard IP oils from Italy, and can even be ordered in Drag Spec!

I will beat ANY advertised price from an Authorized Dealer!! PM me for details!!

Fortune Auto does not hide their shock dyno plots like most other coilover manufacturers!

^^ Fortune Auto 500 Series - Low Hysteresis. This is good. \/\/\/\/\/ Popular "JDM" coilover that actually isn't JDM - The hysteresis here is unacceptable and is particularly bad in the low speed range \/\/\/\/

500 Series:
  • Dyno tested***
  • Mono-tube shock design
  • IP synthetic 5w or 10w shock oil (prevents cavitation and promotes superior heat dissipation)
  • Stainless steel body / piston
  • 30-way adjustable dampers
  • Pillowball mounts
  • Forged aluminum locking collars
  • Dust boots on all pistons
  • Digressive* 50mm piston-57mm piston housing (beyond the industry standard of 44-47mm)
  • Anodized aluminum camber plates** on front upper-mounts
  • Fully anodized body
  • 1 year Manufacturer's Warranty
  • Height adjustment independent of preload
  • Rebuild-able in the USA
  • Re-valveable in the USA

510 Series:

Incorporates all the great features of our 500 series coilovers. Furthermore it includes these key features:
  • Larger 58mm piston!
  • Japanese made forged piston rod
  • Japanese made nitrogen gas chamber
  • Every set of Coilovers gets dyno'ed , matched, and tested to the highest standards.

Dreadknought:

All the features of the 510 Series, plus:
  • Inverted Mono-tube DIGRESSIVE* 57mm piston
  • 30 way damping
  • fully anodized body & custom Swift spring rates

Last edited by Vivid Racing; Dec 9, 2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 09:52 AM
Former Sponsor

No interest in one of the best coilovers for around $1000??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB6ei3NKAv4

Fortune Auto Evo 9 against an NSX and Subaru. Check out the 1:05 - 1:15 region when he passes the Subie. Oh and the NSX gets some oversteer at like 3:55
Old Dec 23, 2011, 04:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the PMs guys!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Exclamation

Tons of reviews from fellow EvoM forum members!

Originally Posted by 91gst

Last night I finally had a chance to install everything on my 06 MR and the install took a little over two hours in my garage at home without air tools. The car still needs an alignment and I still need to adjust the ride height as it is a bit slammed at the moment and driving through the D.C. area sucks. Install went very smoothly and I used the supplied brake line brackets so my brake lines were secure. Overall construction of the coilover is very nice and the attention to details are awesome. It's almost a shame you can't see them haha. Before the install I was on my stock MR suspension and the ride is a bit firmer but very manageable for daily driving.

I took the car out last night and wow the car feels amazing. Not bouncy at all. I've driven cars on full coilovers so I was expecting a stiff ride but the car feels great and perfect for daily driving and seems to be dampened perfectly to my 8k front and 11k rear springs. It handled pot holes and speed bumps without any clunking or abnormal noises and the car just feels amazing. I am very pleased.
Originally Posted by 91gst
Ride quality is what I think you can expect when you up your springs rates and go to a full coilover with solid upper mounts. The ride is stiff but not at all bouncy. It feels well controlled by the shock. I haven't noticed any clunking or creaking.

For the price the quality is hard to beat. The evo is such a great handling car from the factory and I was a bit skeptical on what a full coilover would do but after putting these on I am really amazed as to how it helped eliminate body roll and the car seems to have great turn in(pushed a little going on and off the highway entrances haha). I daily drive this car on crappy D.C. roads and on the crappy highways going to VA and I am comfortable with the ride. Don't know what else there is to review without going on track.

I'll be running a few events with NASA and will update and give a full review on how the car handles and rides on track.
Originally Posted by nytalonTSi
I've been searching for some good coilovers myself. Heard alot of good about Fortune auto's and may just make the move.
Originally Posted by bohopk
nice coil.. love them
Originally Posted by RevMoto
I have 8k miles on mine and they are still noise free and feel great even with four autox events on them. On my 7k/9k spring rates I get a gentler ride on full soft then I did my Bilstein/Tanabe spring and shock combo. After adjusting the dampers for track use I decided to just leave it since it is very bearable on the street. The car handles like it is on rails and has added confidence when pushed hard. I will be upgrading my springs soon to swift 9k/11k and will let you guys know if the upgrade is worthwhile.
Originally Posted by EVOheaven
I recently purchased a set of Fortune-Auto 500 Coilovers and decided to post a review as most are hesitant to buy a relatively new coilover. During my search for coilovers I looked at companies from AST to Megan to KW to Stance, etc. While price was somewhat of a concern for me, I still considered more expensive options. However, after I evaluated what the uses of my car were going to be for (only 4+ track days per year) I decided the Fortune Auto's would suit my needs sufficiently.

One thing that caught my attention immediately was the availability of their shock dyno graph. This alone was a plus in my book as most companies do not even provide graphs.

Build Quality

The build quality and massive size of the pistons make the coilovers look very beefy and strong. The finish on the coilovers also feel like it should be on a 2k+ coilover not a 1k coilover. They look and feel like they will last the lifetime of any car. Both the camber plates and strut mounts are thicker than any other coilover I have seen and I think are made of T6 Aluminum. No one should have any problems with the coilovers breaking.

Ride Quality & Performance

Most importantly they ride relatively smoothly and quietly for a "low-end" coilover. Living in Los Angeles and having to commute daily on the 5, 110, and 10 freeways, most Southern California natives know how rough and bumpy these roads can be. The Fortune-Auto's absorb these bumps well and driving on them is not painful at all.

I haven't been able to take them to the track yet or go on any mountain roads but from the turns I have taken fast they kept my car planted and firm both at low and high speeds. The steering is sharp and the 10k spring in the back helps rotate the heavy Evo X. I am however planning on going to the track very soon and am excited to see how they perform as I feel like they'd perform just as well as any other mid-range coilover.

Summary

If anyone is looking for a well-built coilover and around the 1k-1.5k price-point, without hesitation I'd recommend the Fortune-Auto's. For the price I don't think they can be beat.

Originally Posted by BADABING
I have been on these for about two months now. So far so good.

My initial impression of the components was very good. The finish on the parts was very nice and everything seemed tight and machined well.

The installation went smooth [...]. Getting them dialed in was pretty simple since the spring pre-load is “set it and forget it” and ride height adjustments can be made without removing the wheels.

With these being my first coilovers, I didn’t know exactly what to expect, but I did know in general what I wanted… and I certainly got what I was looking for. The 500’s with 8k spring in the front and 10k in the back feel fairly stiff, but nowhere near unbearable on the Chicago roads. The car feels like it did when I first picked it up from the dealership and the tire pressure was 42psi all the way around (not sure why Mitsubishi did that). You feel all the small bumps in the road, but are not overwhelmed by the big ones. On the softest setting, there is very little bounciness. Add 5 clicks and you have a very stable and streetable spring/shock combination. Everything from highway cruising to railroad crossing is handled fairly well. It took about 1 day to get used to these and I should have no issues with them as DD’s.

On the track they performed very well [...]. The car felt very stable on the long sweepers. There was very little body roll and any bumps on the track surface were absorbed well and without disrupting the balance of the car.

All in all I feel like I got a very good product for a very reasonable price.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any pics of this revised brake bracket installed for evo x?

pm me prices for all please. thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2012, 08:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bluaeon
any pics of this revised brake bracket installed for evo x?

pm me prices for all please. thanks!

This is on the Evo X, but the 8/9 are very similar.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vivid Racing

This is on the Evo X, but the 8/9 are very similar.

thanks!!

price for the 510/500 series please for evo x.
customizable spring rate? whats the stock spring rate that comes with?
Old Jan 7, 2012, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

PM'ed
Old Jan 9, 2012, 02:48 PM
Former Sponsor

pm'd back :-)