Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Stereo/ipod question.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2004 | 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Stereo/ipod question.

I've seen people using www.rcainput.com cd-changer to rca adapter on their factory headunits to make use of an ipod. But looking through the site it only has one for mitsubishi cd players model P505, M091, 9166, P902. Has anyone tried something such as this? thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2004 | 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Just and FYI.. I just picked up the conversion kit for an alpine Ai-net head unit. This plugs into your ipod and connects to the alpine head giving you complete control and digital sound through the head unit.. also charges it and all that other good stuff. So i insulated the ipod and stuck it under the ashtray. The headunites start at around 270 and the adapter is 100 to do this. Worth the money knowing that i wont crash trying to find a song on my ipod.
Old Nov 30, 2004 | 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bdking57
Just and FYI.. I just picked up the conversion kit for an alpine Ai-net head unit. This plugs into your ipod and connects to the alpine head giving you complete control and digital sound through the head unit.. also charges it and all that other good stuff. So i insulated the ipod and stuck it under the ashtray. The headunites start at around 270 and the adapter is 100 to do this. Worth the money knowing that i wont crash trying to find a song on my ipod.
I second this! It really IS the best option when looking for i-POD solutions... The part # you'll need is KCA-420i (I think) and just make sure the headunit is equiped to handle it (most new HUs are).

The CDA-9833 is an awesome bang for the buck f all yu want is a single DIN CD Player (not a flip out TV / DVD / Toaster, etc).

Good Luck!

-Matt
Old Nov 30, 2004 | 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

nice info guys, is it better to have a head unit with a full screen or does it make no diff. wrt the tittles etc on the head unit
Old Nov 30, 2004 | 02:16 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by bdking57
So you can go through your ipod library through the head unit? Is there anyone whos done this want to do a how-to write up on this?
Old Nov 30, 2004 | 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

johnnysixer,
he's not talking about a dyi, it's an actual headunit from alpine that seamlessly works the ipod with the headunit. but i'm just trying to find something like the www.rcainput.com unit which just takes the cdchanger pin and converts it into rca. this is a lot price effective then the alpine headunit, but i don't know if it works with the evo's cd player. i don't want to invest in that headunit for now because sooner or later i'm going to invest in some dvd/lcd headunit.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/driveyouripod/ here's the alpine unit,
Old Nov 30, 2004 | 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

btw i think it only works with new gen. ipods.
Old Nov 30, 2004 | 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

yeah.. its just does it bro! Alpine has the rights to it from what i understand and no one else will be able to. I sold alpine products for a long time and always stood by them as the best value... although i almost regretted not buying an eclipse, that was untill i went to the store to get an adapter just to play the ipod through the head unit.. thats when they told me that i could controll it through there. So i basicalyl have just stashed the ipod and only pull it out to update it. I can flip through songs with my remote. The best thing about this is that i was finally able to remove all of the cds from my car that were constantly rattling all over the place. ( you know you have the same problem)
Old Nov 30, 2004 | 05:06 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by xepyt
johnnysixer,
he's not talking about a dyi, it's an actual headunit from alpine that seamlessly works the ipod with the headunit. but i'm just trying to find something like the www.rcainput.com unit which just takes the cdchanger pin and converts it into rca. this is a lot price effective then the alpine headunit, but i don't know if it works with the evo's cd player. i don't want to invest in that headunit for now because sooner or later i'm going to invest in some dvd/lcd headunit.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/driveyouripod/ here's the alpine unit,
Yea, I was looking at that head unit, but its really expensive. I just wanted to see what needs to be done to install that adapter.
Old Nov 30, 2004 | 05:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Try Monster Cable. They make a unit that can plug an iPod into your stock headunit. It's like 200 bucks and called iCruize (ithink). There is also another manufacturer who makes a iPod to headunit interface. I think their name begins with "D." Try a google search. There are other options besides Alpine.
Old Nov 30, 2004 | 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

*The KCA-420i is compatible with any iPod , iPod Photo and iPod mini with dock conector and iPod Update 2004-04-28. Go to the iTunes site to download the latest iPod software.

this is the cheepest headunit you can use the KCA-420i with the CDA-9825

Target Retail Price US $200.00/CN $369.00

Old Nov 30, 2004 | 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

the head unit is 273 at circuit city.. there is more then one. Any new alpine head unit with Ai-net can be linked.. on yeah, and you can update any ipod to work with the adapter. Mine had old software and i had to download the updater for it to work.. now when it connects the ipod displays the alpine logo.

When you think about it.. these other options are silly. the alpine was designed to play mp3s with great sound quality through its media xpander feature. 300 dollars and you have a new head unit with direct digital connection and controll.. that is well worth the difference between just linking it up and having to control your ipod while you trying to drive.

Last edited by bdking57; Nov 30, 2004 at 06:24 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2004 | 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

all you need to do is get any head unit with audio input and it plugs right in. you can even take a laptop and just put the output sound to the input on the Head unit (adapter is 6 dollars at radio shack) and your set.
Old Dec 1, 2004 | 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sentinal
all you need to do is get any head unit with audio input and it plugs right in. you can even take a laptop and just put the output sound to the input on the Head unit (adapter is 6 dollars at radio shack) and your set.

Right but you can't scroll thru the songs with the head unit, which is where is advantage of the Apline is.
Old Dec 1, 2004 | 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sentinal
all you need to do is get any head unit with audio input and it plugs right in.
That's what I did since I got my HU free. I wish it charged the iPod though, like the Alpines do.

Quick Reply: Stereo/ipod question.