Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Watch out for re-tread's

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2004 | 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Watch out for re-tread's

evo going 70mph vs a 18 wheeler retread.....
Attached Thumbnails Watch out for re-tread's-p1080368-3-.jpg  
Old Dec 1, 2004 | 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

OUCH! sux big time
Old Dec 1, 2004 | 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

and one more
Attached Thumbnails Watch out for re-tread's-p1080369-4-.jpg  
Old Dec 1, 2004 | 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

I feel for ya, I've caught a number of these over the years.
Old Dec 1, 2004 | 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Yep, and our government won't make these dangerous piece of shlt recapped tires illegal because of the money that the trucking industry lobbyists pour into our state and national legislators' pockets.
Old Dec 1, 2004 | 10:56 AM
Account Disabled

From: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
i had that happen...they wouldn't pay for anything. Mine was as bad...i got crazy with rubbing compound after i used this special cleaner to get the tire stuff off....then got out all the scratches . YOur intercooler should be fine and then all in all you should need to only buy a lip from someone .
Dave
Old Dec 1, 2004 | 10:57 AM
Account Disabled

From: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
oh....didn't see the cracked bumper....so your gonna also have to get it painted or at least the paint blown into the lower area of the bumper after they redo the bumper with a little bondo....still all in all your not too bad a shape. Coulda been worse if it went onto the headlight and broke that and the hood and stuff.
Old Dec 1, 2004 | 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

3M sells a compound for painted boats to remove rubber marks from docks with tire bumpers. Most boating stores carry it, works great.
Old Dec 1, 2004 | 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RaleighEVOVIII
OUCH! sux big time

Heck no, thats an new front bumper. Full coverage insurance...... Gialla front bumper it man!
Old Dec 1, 2004 | 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Something like this happened to me a while back.

I was driving through Illinois on my way to Kentucky and an 18 wheeler was cruising along in the left hand lane, doing the same speed as the car - me - in the right hand lane (they have such a great habbit of doing that in IL). I was doing about 75 at the time. One of his tires started to seperate but he was in no rush to either slow down or get off the road. I was able to slow down a bit before it let go, but the bulk of it ended up hitting my car, spiderwebbing the paint on the front bumper and leaving nice streaks on the fender and door.

My car instantly started vibrating like crazy, so I pulled over to investigate. I didn't get a chance to get his plate number, and he wasn't driving a truck that had any obviously identifying markings on the side or rear of the trailer (like "FedEx" or something). The damage was done to the front wheel well splash guard, which has been partially ripped off and was dragging, and causing a disturbance in air flow. I ripped it off, looked for anything else that was out of the ordinary, and then floored it to catch up with the asshat. I guess you really can cover a good bit of distance with 5-10 minutes head start, because I couldn't find the truck. I called up the IL DOT and complained about it. They told me I was out of luck, because it wasn't their fault. I told them that I thought they were partially liable, since the vehicle was registered for travel on US roadways, and that the truck must have went through at least one weight station.....Still nothing.

Life sucks, and I think that if trucks are allowed to use retreads, then company info should be stamped or painted on them for crap like this.
Old Dec 1, 2004 | 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
Heck no, thats an new front bumper. Full coverage insurance...... Gialla front bumper it man!
Hahaha, true, damn this sucks man. It has happened to me 2x in my eclipse.
Old Dec 1, 2004 | 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
Yeah insureance is going to cover it . The Gialla does look good , but i dont think it will look good with my stock looking car . Iam trying to find a DoLuck . Any one know who might have one in stock , called 6-8 venders and there all out BTW intercoller is ok i think , But Buschur delux kit is on the way.....

Last edited by matt55; Dec 1, 2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2004 | 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

same thing happened to me with a construction cone that an suv ran over and kicked up at me.
i feel your pain.
Old Dec 1, 2004 | 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

so are you going to get a new aftermarket front bumper?
Old Dec 1, 2004 | 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

I had a beautiful modified Suzuki V-Twin *rare* sportbike. TL1000S. It was the most beautiful riding machine I ever had. It tanked it because of a hotrod truck driver doing Mach 1 down a canyon with an unwashed cattle hauler that spewed about 1/2 inch of fresh cow crap in my lane. The bike faired well as I lowsided it until it hit a load of boulders by a riverbottom.

My insurance still wants to ding me for the 'comprehensive' total loss I had ... but I'm lucky my bike was a 'recreational' vehicle. Did they want to go after the trucking company? No. Does the State's Finest (Highway Patrol) want to ding truckers that don't wash out trailers, and can cause potential accidents? No. This last season was another canyon literally full of cow cheeze.

I feel for you man.

jcnel.