Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Subs In Evo

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2004 | 11:58 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by sleet
They got JL subs/amps or kicker subs. I don't get the gatorade joke?
gatorade was invented at the university of florida.

That's why it's called GATORade.
Old Dec 9, 2004 | 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

So how is that funny? lol
Old Dec 9, 2004 | 06:44 AM
Former Sponsor

this is the proper way to make your car louder OUTSIDE.

i present to you the amazing ROOF OF BOOM!!!

all

the real stereo guys are rolling their eyes reading this one....
Old Dec 9, 2004 | 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WHIPLASH VIII
i have a decent amp and im vary pleased with sound quality inside the car. but i cant here anything outside the car
Don't you listen to music inside your car while you are driving? Did you put the speakers in the car for you to listen to, or for everyone else to listen to? What the hell does it matter you can't really hear them outside of the car?

Now since all your trying to do is show off to all the ricers you should do like someone else already said and get some JL's and a bigger amp. I would bet that 1 JLw7 13.5 would kill what you have in the car right now with good power behind it.
Old Dec 9, 2004 | 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Wow @ the roof of boom lol
Old Dec 9, 2004 | 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

To the original poster:

The best way to make your bass louder inside and out is to increase power and get bad *** subs. You can hit 140's even 150's db's now with the right 2 12's the right amps and the right box. At 140+ DB everyone in a square radius of about 1/2 mile will hear you coming. Definately keep the trunk insulated, as a matter of fact add insulation (dynamat) as the sound pressure levels you are looking to have (SPL) will need extra insulation this to keep your trunk from rattling off the hinges. There is nothing worse than great bass and a rattling trunk.

I (unlike others here!) am not going to judge you for wanting you bass to be heard.

You don't want bass to escape from your trunk! You want the pressure to fill the cabin, which in turn helps to create the bass. With the windows open the bass will escape without much reduction of the acoustic suspension. The lower the bass and stronger the power ouput the farther it will be heard and felt. Remember bass is not directional, so once it escapes it goes everywhere. Try this... Crank up your stereo and stand outside your car... you can feel and hear the bass right, but it's not near as loud as inside the car of course. That's because you loosing that in car acoustic suspension. OK now leave it cranked and go into your house. You will feel the bass inside the house and it will seem almost as loud. Trust me your bass at decent db levels will be heard, but don't mess witht he insulation. Proper insulation will actually increase your bass response because it keeps rattles from happening with actually soaks up your bass (in a way). Good Luck!

To all the judgemental bastards on this site....

Last edited by v8killer; Dec 9, 2004 at 08:21 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2004 | 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Try aiming your subwoofers in different directions in your trunk to see which gets the best response. I.E. firing towards interior, firing towards trunk, firing upwards. In the past, i find that firing towards the trunk gets the best response.
Old Dec 9, 2004 | 08:49 AM

This Thread Is Retarded
Old Dec 9, 2004 | 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stiklr
This Thread Is Retarded
That's why you are here. hmmmm LOL

Last edited by v8killer; Dec 9, 2004 at 09:11 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2004 | 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

The dude wants to represent. It's not my style but...

I have 2-12" in a sealed hooked to a 1,000 Watt amp, firing to the trunk lid. Even with Dynamat all over the inside of my trunk I still hear them outside the car. It actually rattles the styrofoam bumper inserts in the rear... which annoys me... I'll get to that someday.

What you hear no matter whether in or out of the car depends largely on the speaker design. Being able to hear it clearer up close and being able to hear it further away is depends on the power you put behind the speakers.

It's more important to match the speakers to the amp then choose the design that meets your style and listening preference. A 15" speaker from radio shack ain't gonna do squat for you even if you put a Precision Pwer Amp behind it... and a JL sub will cry if you put a Audiovox Amp from Walmart behind it.
Old Dec 9, 2004 | 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WHIPLASH VIII
i heard ther was some kind of matirial in the trunk that prvents the sound from coming out.
BTW the material found in the trunk is negligible to deadening any sound, nevermind lowband subs.

Sorry man it's not the car, it's your setup.
Old Dec 9, 2004 | 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

im a little confused, not tryin to hate or nething, but why do u wanna hear the subs outside of the car? If u have good bass and cant hear it outside thats a good, ne wayz just listen to what everyone is sayin get a better amp. BTW one of the things i have discovered is if ur doin the system ur self do go cheap and not use gold connectors for all ur connections, i did that and then was having problem and bought all the connectors, its makes a lot bigger difference than u would think. Amp is most important thing though gotta have power.
Old Dec 9, 2004 | 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

...and another thing...

In the super-$$ setups, what you hear outside the car is mostly mid-bass more than sub. In my book subs should shake and kick you, mid-bass will be low hum that, for the lack of a better example, the cops hate.

So multi-4"ers purpose built for mid-bass or 6-8" should do the trick. Don't forget to match the amp.
Old Dec 10, 2004 | 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

2 jl12w7s with 2 1000/1's will be very audible outside of the car...
Old Dec 10, 2004 | 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ my friend has same setup....i hate riding in his car it's to damn loud

Quick Reply: Subs In Evo