Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Evo through automated car wash?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2005 | 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Evo through automated car wash?

Has anyone gone through an automated car wash with their evo yet. Winter
is brutal in MI. Need to know if there are any problems with the open hood vent and all that water.
Old Jan 24, 2005 | 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Done it several times in a touchless wash with no problem. A good bit of steam from the hot engine but no ill effects.

On a side note I have been turned away from several washes because they don't want the "liability issues" if they damage the wheels and/or wing during the wash.
Evolved Member

I've been through several no problems big wing and all. The only thing to look out for is if you have an open air filter like the HKS racing suction kit then you might have problem with the hood vent and water getting into the intake.
UFO
Evolved Member

NO!!!!!!

WHY???????

If you insist on doing it, at least take your antenna off.
Old Jan 24, 2005 | 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Best way is by hand..... or the ones where you just spray your car in the little garage like bay. Really no reason to use automated..... why be lazy and break something =/

my .02
Old Jan 24, 2005 | 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Don't have any washes enclosed from the current elements. Every thing turns to ice in this weather. I think I will try the touchless today.
Old Jan 24, 2005 | 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

You'll be fine
Old Jan 24, 2005 | 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

What about the antana? should we remove it?
Old Jan 24, 2005 | 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

the antenna is fine. The touchless automated is fine for you car and if your worried about water getting into the intake turn off the car when it is getting washed. I usually use the manual wash first and use the pressure wash to get all that crappy sand and hard stuff off first then run it through the automated. This will do for me till it gets warmer outside to do it myself. I have had no problems at all with it as long as it is touchless. The service rep at mitsu told me not to take it through the automated because of all the aluminum on the car, but if you have a pressure washer at home it is going to do the same thing as the automated.
Old Jan 24, 2005 | 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

I don't get why everyone freaks out about the automated car wash. If Jay Kay can take his Enzo through one I think I'm safe. It's an Evo not the freakin holy grail.

I prefer to hand wash my car but, guess what the f*ckin hose is frozen. So thats pretty much out of the question. So am I not supposed to wash it until spring? I'll take my chances with what might happen in the car over what I know will happen with leaving the road salt on it.
Old Jan 24, 2005 | 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

here here...I agree with the idea of washing it yourself, by hand...especially with the alum. pieces...but in reality...forget it (if you live in a place that really does have winter.) Winters are too brutal, and I can't go MONTHS at a time between washes. Be a bit careful, but you should be fine.
Old Jan 24, 2005 | 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

i don't have an evo but i have to wash my car by my own two hands...gotta detail it to perfection, just wait till the spring i guess...no matter what, those salt trucks will be on the road for a long time...might as well just save your money and time
Old Jan 24, 2005 | 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

The problem with those automatic car washes is that they do a terrible job of washing the car. At some of the ones that also use ppl to finish off the job, they would not take my car because they were afraid of damaging the wing..... I have a place near by that hand washes the car for $15.... That's pretty cheap, of course, they don't do a super job either ..... No joke, the last time I had to ask them to go back and clean the wheels (freaking brake dust..) and I had to touch it up and dry it myself.... Oh well, just can't get good help anymore.
Old Jan 24, 2005 | 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Watch out for the drip guard thingies' clips breaking and coming off...I have to get mine replaced now because the high pressure water likes to pull them out...other than that, you're good to go, my antenna has always been just fine, along with my ski rack
Old Jan 24, 2005 | 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Only use the touch free though. Others will scratch your baby

Quick Reply: Evo through automated car wash?