Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Black Evo - rock chips problem

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2005 | 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Black Evo - rock chips problem

As you all know, Black Evo is the meanest and best looking of all.
But at the same time, it's the hardest color to keep clean and easy to chip.

The front is the worst part of all. Basically I'm just asking how do I apply the OEM touch up paint (with?) and do I need to buff it after the touch up paint dry up to even it out? Please give me suggestions.

THANKS
Old Feb 22, 2005 | 03:57 PM

get a carbon fiber hood and use 3m
Old Feb 22, 2005 | 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by AzBlackEvo8
As you all know, Black Evo is the meanest and best looking of all.
But at the same time, it's the hardest color to keep clean and easy to chip.

The front is the worst part of all. Basically I'm just asking how do I apply the OEM touch up paint (with?) and do I need to buff it after the touch up paint dry up to even it out? Please give me suggestions.

THANKS
First off, everyone knows white Evos are the best looking.

Yes, black is the hardest to keep clean. Its also easily chipped...as the rest of the other colors beleive it or not. Its just probably more noticable on TB.

Applying the oem touch up paint turns out tacky most of the time, especially if you have lots of chips all over. A couple here and there is not too bad. My .02, the front is gonna chip, regardless. If its REALLY THAT bad, go and get it repainted. But if you go that route I recommend you 3m'ing it afterwards. Because if not, its eventually gonna happen again.
Old Feb 22, 2005 | 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I'd apply the 3-m phantom stuff. It's really good
Old Feb 22, 2005 | 05:33 PM

mother's paint chip repair

use this, i read up on it and body shops rate it a 8 out of 10.
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/microfib...e/08540mp.html
Old Feb 22, 2005 | 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Question

Thanks guys.

One question (being a noob) what's 3m??
Old Feb 22, 2005 | 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

I may consider getting 3m on the hood if I buy a new cf one. I would sugg. going this route or just re-painting the hood.
Old Feb 25, 2005 | 02:07 AM
Evolved Member

OEM touch-up paint will be fine as long as the chip isn't huge or something. Just put a VERY small amount of paint on the non-bristled side of a small paintbrush (like the kind you used for watercoloring as a kid haha) then just touch it to the chip, the paint will slowly drip in and fill up the chip. That's as much as you need or it will end up running/blobbing up/etc.. You can also get an invisible (clear) bra for the front. I'm not sure if that's the same as the 3m stuff everyone's talking about. Hope that helps a little! :-P
Old Feb 25, 2005 | 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

I've got some scratches on my sideskirts and whatnot, but for the most part my front end is pretty good.
Old Feb 25, 2005 | 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mr_b401
First off, everyone knows white Evos are the best looking.

Yes, black is the hardest to keep clean. Its also easily chipped...as the rest of the other colors beleive it or not. Its just probably more noticable on TB.

Applying the oem touch up paint turns out tacky most of the time, especially if you have lots of chips all over. A couple here and there is not too bad. My .02, the front is gonna chip, regardless. If its REALLY THAT bad, go and get it repainted. But if you go that route I recommend you 3m'ing it afterwards. Because if not, its eventually gonna happen again.
Yeah, White kicks ***!!!

I thought when a black evo get chipped, it was black underneath?
Old Feb 25, 2005 | 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

dude my black evo is a 03 with 5,000 miles on it. Honestly I plan to have the front bumper repainted with a better brand of paint, and a carbon fiber hood. This is the first car i have owned that chiped this fast. Hey, Or you can just drive at night, thats when the black looks evil and the marks are hard to see.
Old Feb 25, 2005 | 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turboex
dude my black evo is a 03 with 5,000 miles on it. Honestly I plan to have the front bumper repainted with a better brand of paint, and a carbon fiber hood. This is the first car i have owned that chiped this fast. Hey, Or you can just drive at night, thats when the black looks evil and the marks are hard to see.
Ain't that the truth! I have a blk 03' w/ 9000 miles with the same problem. Summer driven, garage kept, and still chipped more than any other car I've owned.
Old Feb 25, 2005 | 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

I will have to agree with all of you, man I love black, but i dont think I will own another one. I have alot of small rock chip mostly on the hood and i have an 04. It happens quick!!!
Black does look bad A$$ though!!!
Old Feb 26, 2005 | 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AzBlackEvo8
what's 3m??
a big a$$ corp - www.3m.com
Old Feb 26, 2005 | 09:27 AM
Account Disabled

I have the same problem with me red evo. My front bumper is chip city That mothers chip remover looks like it might help, along with some touchup paint. I meant to get 3m tape but it chipped so damn fast! Especially now in the winter!

Quick Reply: Black Evo - rock chips problem