Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Zaino Day

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2005, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitchubishi
I don't really wanna flame, but I've been a Zaino guy for a while and I can see you have ALOT of unnecessary steps and steps, some of which are out of order. Washing once with dawn is fine if you have wax, sealants, or oils/fillers from SMR's on the car. You do not have to wash with Z-7 after that...it's pointless as dawn is more concentraded and already did the job or getting everything off. Also, you don't have to use Z-6 after that; you can go straight to claybaring, using Z-6 as your lube. Afetr that, you can wash again with Z-7 to get all the lube and claybar reminents off the paint. Next, you should always start with Z-5. I have no idea why you went Z-2, Z-5, Z-2...it should always be a few coats of Z-5 first, especially if the paint hasn't received attention in a long while; after that, you can do a few coats of Z-2 Pro. Now here's where the real problem is....why did you wash the car after doing coats of Zaino? I don't think it took off the Zaino, but even though the polish cures fast with ZFx, IMO the polish still needs to be undisturbed after you do all your layers. I felt that, even in those low light conditions, you should have more shine to your paint in those pictures: now I know why. So, if you plan on doing a big Zaino project again anytime soon, I suggest this regimen instead:

Dawn (Only if you put wax on top of your Zaino...otherwise do Z-7 here)
Claybar
Z-7
2-3 Coats of Z-5 with Z-6/Z-8 in between
2-3 Coats of Z-2 with Z-6/Z-8 in between
Wax topper (No liquids like Meguiar's NXT or Mother's...only a good carnuba paste wax like P21S, Pinnacle Souveran (my favorite), FK1 Pink Wax, Trade Secret, Poorboy's Natty's, or Meguiar's #16)

With this, you'll have UNBEATABLE shine and protection; Zaino with seal the paint, and the combo of Zaino and wax will bring the asthetic qualities of both polish and wax together: polish's reflective, glassy look and wax's depth and darkening capabilities.

Otherwise, the car still looks great and nice job using Zaino...just fix your steps and save yourself time, product, and money while reaping the rewards of a more complete shine!
Point taken, honestly it's been a couple of weeks so maybe I put some steps out of order in writing but I'll remember some of the things you said. Actually this was my first Zaino day and I followed mostly instruction from a buddy of mine who is a S2000 owner and a long time user of Zaino.

You're probably right, the more I think about it, maybe I didn't Z7 wash/Z6 spray after I applied Z2/ZFX. I know I did before I applied the last coat however. At the time I didn't think to use the swirl/scratch remover before I applied the Z2.

Well, some good best practices, I'll get more of a routine down with time!

I hope that this constructive process lasts the whole summer! I know I'll only be doing claybar once a year...
Old May 7, 2005, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to toatally hijack this thread... but what are you using for rainspots that the claybar wont remove? I've heard there is some stuff by 3M that is really good but I've never tried it.
Old May 7, 2005, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3M perfect it II fine cut rubbing compound or Swirl Mark Remover would be able to clean that up...I have both, but will be trying out the Poorboy's SSR's soon as well (on the way from Hawaii). Klasse AIO would be a good one too.