Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Chips on the Hood?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2005, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch.

I was talking about my friend Jay, 03 LY evo also. I let him test out my car and i noticed how bad his paint chips were on his car.

I bought some claybar stuff to try out also... maybe when summer actually gets to mcihigan, I will try it and then do the Rejex stuff again.

Originally Posted by EvoGLH
rsboy - I hope you're not talking about me: must be some other LY (I do care about my paint!)

I started claybaring my Evo & found that the chips aren't anywhere near as bad as I thought.

Unfortunately, I recently tore my right index finger down to the bone... almost impossible to finish the car without using my right hand.

Really frustrating trying to shift using only the ring & pinkie fingers...
Old May 17, 2005, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint chips here as well

New England winters do a number on ones vehicle
Old May 17, 2005, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dafarmer69
the only adv is, dont drive it, wax it every week, stay 1 mile behind all cars, screw this , paint sucks, fock this cheap paint

Or you could not mod your car anymore...
Drive it hard, have fun, f c u k the paint chips...
Then use the money you saved from not modding to respray your evo to that nice Ferrari blue or gray color.

I'm working on that... but modding is such a hard addiction to get over.
Old May 17, 2005, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

ehhh i got a **** load of paint ships... on my hood, on my bumper, my fenders, my mirrors, my sideskirts....

i could care less cuz i know the stock paint is cheap as hell....im saving up for a new paint job
Old May 17, 2005, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

have had my car for 2.5 months and already more chips than I can count

I wish I could retire it from daily driver status. Dammit.
Old May 17, 2005, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

My car has more (Nicks) than a Greek restaurant!
Old May 17, 2005, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

CF hood for the chips on the hood.
Old May 17, 2005, 03:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I've said this in other threads, but check out Crystal Guard. It's a paint protectant. Just had it done to my MR. Will have clear bra put on next week.
Old May 17, 2005, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

I had this problem on my 03, and it doesn't appear as bad on the 05. I *think* part of the problem is the paint quality, and another part is that it's on aluminum. I don't think paint (unless done really well) sticks to aluminum as well, hence it tends to chip more often. This doesn't really help explain excessive chips on the bumper or mirrors, but that I'll give to a cheaper paint job. I'm probably going to suck it up on a new paint job when it gets too bad...clear bra isn't a bad idea, but I've never liked how they look when compared to a nice paint finish...which does evo owners little if any good after a very short time.
Old May 17, 2005, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Just washed my car today, more chips then ever!!! Damn I-95 to hell with all those friggin 18 wheelers throwing shiot at my car! My car is black so its REALLY noticable, to me at least. Whats this clear bra thing, never heard of it. Can you tell its on there? How much do you guys think it would cost to get the hood repainted with a quality paint that wont chip, scratch and swirl by breathing on it wrong.
Old May 17, 2005, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

The paint chips happen. Mitsu has never been known for great OEM paint jobs, and having an aluminum hood just makes it that much more prone to paint "flaws". I remember having to respray my 1st DSM's hood 3 times in the 2 years that I owned it. My 1st Evo got resprayed twice in the year that I owned it before it was totaled (once for actual rock chips and again because of vandalism, but whatever). When I bought my 2nd Evo, the 3M clear bra was one of the first things to go on it. Even when I got my carbon hood for the car, it still got the clear bra treatment.
Old May 17, 2005, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
paint chips = weight reduction. you should be happy.
Old May 17, 2005, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

i had tons of paint chips with my rr.. i just recently took the touch up paint pen to it.. obviously you can see the blemish if you looking directly at it but from most angles it will do untill i can get it repainted. How much would it be to repaint the car the factory color? Can they just paint over and enhance the layers that are already there or do they have to strip it all and start over? Id like to get a real nice red paint job with a great clear coat.. then clear bra the front end.
Old May 17, 2005, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVONation
I've never had a car in my life that has more chips in the paint on the hood. I looks like someone dropped a bag of stone in front of the car.... I have a BBY and all the chips you can see white specs. What is the best way to fix this? Do I have to re-paint the entire hood?
I have repainted my hood twice and now there are 2 more little chips. I've almost given up trying to keep it perfect. I will probably paintit one more time then get that "clear bra" installed.
Old May 17, 2005, 09:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by XxBLACKMAMBAxX
Whats this clear bra thing, never heard of it. Can you tell its on there?
Do a Google search on Clear Bra. You should be able to find a dealer near you.

It's a clear plastic film made by 3M that goes over the paint. You really can't see it until you're on top of the car. It's great insurance to protect the paint. THere is also a product called Armor Glove, which is supposed to be superior to Clear Bra. It yellows less that the Clear Bra when exposed to sun.

The Crystal Guard I've talked about is a sealant that bonds to the paint and actually hardens and forms a protective layer. No more waxing and it has UV protectant in it. It also increases the luster of the paint. So my silver Evo really shines

If you live in SoCal, the place I got it done at is called Final Touch. They're in Van Nuys.

Quick Reply: Chips on the Hood?