Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

here is an answer to why evo paint sucks !!!

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2005, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here is an answer to why evo paint sucks !!!

i've heard a lot of people saying how easy evo paint chips and scratches. my car's paint looked horrible so i asked a friend who works at a body shop to buff the car.

When i picked up the car it looked brand new but to my surprise he told me i have a single stage paint on. Basically he told me that my car has no clear coat on it! He claims that this is kind of the cheapest paint used on kias and such.

People with RR cars get ur cars buffed because with time the red fades and picks up a pinkish cast.

mitsubishi motors sucks for doing this. THey should have saved money elsewere!
Old May 29, 2005, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

not just evos but on 04&05 galant too
Old May 29, 2005, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old news ... already been covered lots of times in the past ... apparantly you didn't do your research before you bought the car ...
Old May 29, 2005, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

i bought a clay bar kit...........and as soon as my evo hit my driveway, i washed it, clay bared it, and waxed it.....i knew this going in, just like my STi....subaru has horrible paint as well...
Old May 29, 2005, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

the paintjob is high maintenance... so show some love. wash weekly, and wax monthly.
Old May 29, 2005, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

No matter what it is amazing that they got the paint to match in the first place...meaning look at all of the different materials had to paint. Carbonfiber, platic, steel, andaluminum. Not many cars have this many underlying body components. Keep it out of the sun and use good wax twice a year and all will be okay.
Old May 29, 2005, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stupid mitsu..
Old May 29, 2005, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bartek
i've heard a lot of people saying how easy evo paint chips and scratches. my car's paint looked horrible so i asked a friend who works at a body shop to buff the car.

When i picked up the car it looked brand new but to my surprise he told me i have a single stage paint on. Basically he told me that my car has no clear coat on it! He claims that this is kind of the cheapest paint used on kias and such.

People with RR cars get ur cars buffed because with time the red fades and picks up a pinkish cast.

mitsubishi motors sucks for doing this. THey should have saved money elsewere!
No offence, but all new cars now has clear coat. Clear coat is an automotive painting technique in which a coating of clear lacquer or other synthetic liquid is applied over the base color to enhance the shine and durability of the paint and protect from lv rays. Lancer/Evo color are basecoat/clearcoat finish. I guess your friend is mistaken. Btw what color is your car? I can go check all evo colors in my class Dupont paint computer and see what's the mixture. I bet they all have metallics/pearl in it.

P.S- My body shop instructor told me that my car color (Munich Silver) is really good OEM finish. It's really up to you, if you take care of it, it will last longer.

Last edited by AznFlip; May 29, 2005 at 11:18 AM.
Old May 29, 2005, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

That is exactly what my body guy said. I think he even mentioned federal regs on clear coats for longevity standards.
Originally Posted by AznFlip
No offence, but all new cars now has clear coat. Clear coat is an automotive painting technique in which a coating of clear lacquer or other synthetic liquid is applied over the base color to enhance the shine and durability of the paint and protect from lv rays. Lancer/Evo color are basecoat/clearcoat finish. I guess your friend is mistaken. Btw what color is your car? I can go check all evo colors in my class Dupont paint computer and see what's the mixture. I bet they all have metallics/pearl in it.

P.S- My body shop instructor told me that my car color (Munich Silver) is really good OEM finish. It's really up to you, if you take care of it, it will last longer.
Old May 29, 2005, 11:30 AM

Thumbs down

i have no automotive paint knowledge. all i can tell you that when he painted my honda with clear coat and base color combo the car shined without waxing. Now the evo paint looks like **** unless you wax it.
Old May 29, 2005, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

i have no automotive paint knowledge. all i can tell you that when he painted my honda with clear coat and base color combo the car shined without waxing. Now the evo paint looks like **** unless you wax it.
I'm guessing you didn't really take care of it....
Old May 29, 2005, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

i believe my car have clear coat. btw, my car is Silver. My friend told me my car paint job is not bad because it shines without wax for 2 months
Old May 29, 2005, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

...this is kind of the cheapest paint used on kias and such.

....mitsubishi motors sucks for doing this. THey should have saved money elsewere!
Yeah. You're right. I sure wish that they would have left off the AWD. Or perhaps they could have left the turbo off of the car. Maybe they shouldn't have fitted it with Parts from Recaro, Momo, Enkei, Brembo, Yokohama.......

If they saved money like that and made the paint sparkle a bit more, then maybe the Evo would be better than a Kia.
Old May 29, 2005, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Someone who's paint is already f'd up should buy some rubbing compound or something like that. Put it on lightly and see if the color of your cloth is the color of the car. If not, It's just taking the clear coat off, hence our cars have a clearcoat. You understand what I'm saying? Maybe use something not as heavy as rubbing compound, like swirl remover or something. Someone out there have body damage or paint damage want to try something like this?
Old May 29, 2005, 12:08 PM

I'm guessing you didn't really take care of it....
This is not a matter of taking care or not. The evo paint job sucks. I dont need expert advice to see that. Take an unwaxed evo and compare it against an unwaxed car painted with basecoat/clearcoat combo... tell me which one looks better.

Quick Reply: here is an answer to why evo paint sucks !!!