Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Want to paint stock rims - have questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2005, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to paint stock rims - have questions

Ok, I have a white 2003 Evo VIII, and am getting sick of my stock rim color and beat condition from mountings. I would like your imput on my color selection, and my plan to transform the rims. Here is what I am thinking of doing.
1) One set of rims will be painted a two-tone color, with white on the outside and black in the wheel well. I get sick of trying to keep the interior of the rim clean, so I just want the outside painted white. I figure that it saves time cleaning the inside of the rim. Any suggestions as to which paint company to use for this project?
2) The second set of rims will be used in the winter, and I was thinking of going with a gun-metal theme.
I was wondering if anyone with experience could explain the steps, cost, time, etc.........
1) What sand paper did you use?
2) Did you use primer?
3) How many coats did you use to cover the rim?
4) How long did you let each coat dry, before applying another?
5) What type of enamel coating or gloss did you use, and how many coats were applied?

****If you have anything else to add in aiding me, that would be great!
Old Sep 5, 2005, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Sep 5, 2005, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

1) What sand paper did you use? a fine grid.200/400
2) Did you use primer?nope,but 1 coat might not hurt
3) How many coats did you use to cover the rim?around 3 coats,maybe 4
4) How long did you let each coat dry, before applying another?30-45 mins
5) What type of enamel coating or gloss did you use, and how many coats were applied? dulpi-color wheel paint.whatever the finish is on it.seems like a low gloss
Old Sep 5, 2005, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EXACTLY what he said and it comes out PERFECT!
Old Sep 5, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

I was thinking of getting my rims colored too. But i was getting them powder coated. Are you thinking of spray painting them? I would think that spray paint would come off too easily. But if it works for people around this forum then i should give it a try too. Powder coated would have cost me $200.00 locally but with the rim and tire removal add about $20.00.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

I recently powder coated my wheels and I'm very happy. I went the HKS Evo meet in Los Angeles and i seen numerous Evo's with painted wheels. Up close, painted wheels don't look all that impressive. Just my 2 cents....
Old Sep 5, 2005, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scb1999
I recently powder coated my wheels and I'm very happy. I went the HKS Evo meet in Los Angeles and i seen numerous Evo's with painted wheels. Up close, painted wheels don't look all that impressive. Just my 2 cents....
IT depends on Who does it. Mine look like they came like that.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the responses, fellas!
Today I painted the first of 4 rims with Dupli-color white, and sanded in between coats to dull the finish. I only put 2 coats on so far, and am letting them dry overnight. Tomorrow I will be sanding them one more time and adding the final coat to the rim. I am using 1000 grit sandpaper for the final details, then putting 2 coats of enamel to give the rims the professional touch. I also decided to paint the interior white as well, and skipped the black two-tone theme altogether!

I thought about having them powder coated, but was quoted anywhere between $70-80/rim. I can also do my own touch-ups if I get rim rash, and don't have to worry about messing up the coating.

I want to paint the second set a gunmetal, anyone use dupli-colors yet?
How did they come out, and can you post some pictures of the rims on your car?
Thanks for responding!

Last edited by evolvedmb; Sep 5, 2005 at 07:16 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

post some pics when youre done i really want to paint mine but im afraid ill fck it up
Old Sep 7, 2005, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jjm4life
post some pics when youre done i really want to paint mine but im afraid ill fck it up
I will post some pictures when finished for sure! So far the process has been easy, as I am just completing the first rim as of today. Here's is what I have done to the rims.......
1) Wash and sand any mounting marks from tire applications/rash in the past. Used 500 grit paper
2) Applied 4 coats of paint to the rims, and lightly sanded any blemishes for a smooth surface. 1000 grit paper - First layer of clear coat will show all the deformaties and blemishes you missed from the final coat of paint.
3) Applied Dupli-color enamel to the rim, then wet sanded after the first coat to achieve a universal smoothness. 1000 grit paper - This will make the uneven spots disappear, so take your time to make this perfect.
4) Applied the second coat of enamel and let harden for a few days!
Old Sep 7, 2005, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

sounds pretty simple, but id still screw it up somehow. thanks for breaking it down for me like that. cant wait to see the outcome
Old Sep 10, 2005, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Almost finished with the rims!!!!!!!

Will post pictures soon.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

dude, do not paint your stock enkei's!!! if you wanna get the color changed at least have them powdercoated, you can have it done relatively cheap. spray painting them looks sooo ricey and never lasts anyways... just my 2 cent's

or even sell your stockers, save a few dollars and get some new rims!!
Old Sep 11, 2005, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

painted wheels from a distance looks cool ... up close they look cheezy. You're driving an Evo not a Civic.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Alittle late now, and they were not mine to begin with. They already had some road-rash on them, and I got them for $275 for all four. If they turnout like crap, then I'll have them powdercoated after the winter in Ohio. These are only going to be on for this upcoming winter, and I will be getting my stockers professionally done at that time. Already had a bad experience with an aftermarket company and rims (Vivid), so I am going this route for now!
Originally Posted by slickevo18
dude, do not paint your stock enkei's!!! if you wanna get the color changed at least have them powdercoated, you can have it done relatively cheap. spray painting them looks sooo ricey and never lasts anyways... just my 2 cent's

or even sell your stockers, save a few dollars and get some new rims!!

Quick Reply: Want to paint stock rims - have questions