Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Tarmac Black paint quality?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2005 | 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Tarmac Black paint quality?

So just how bad is it? I had an Eclipse before in "Kapalana Black" or something like that... terrible paint... showed just about every disperfection no matter how much washing/waxing etc... is the Tarmac black as bad?
Old Sep 7, 2005 | 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Yup, it's HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks good all nice and shiny but my front end got all chiped up so I bought touch up paint and fixed it and bought a nose mask for www.mitsubishiparts.net for $110..........looks really good on the black car.......black on black!!!!!
Old Sep 7, 2005 | 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Actually the paint quality is really good on Tarmac Black. I want to one best detailers and they looked over my paint they were impressed by the quality, they even said its better then some of the highend cars they get. Here there website:
http://www.detailingdynamics.com/
This place is actually no joke they charge $800 to detail the car. This one the best shops I ever seen you can partically eat off the floor and not get dirty.
Old Sep 7, 2005 | 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

The paint is good, however, it could do with a few more coats of clear.
Old Sep 7, 2005 | 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo23IG
Actually the paint quality is really good on Tarmac Black. I want to one best detailers and they looked over my paint they were impressed by the quality, they even said its better then some of the highend cars they get. Here there website:
http://www.detailingdynamics.com/
This place is actually no joke they charge $800 to detail the car. This one the best shops I ever seen you can partically eat off the floor and not get dirty.
Then they should look at my Evo because the paint is Sh*t. My father has better paint on his Oldsmobile Achiva, and the general manager of Ocean Mitsubishi told us that both to our faces.
Old Sep 7, 2005 | 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

All of the paint on the evo's suck.. however my tarmac is not holding up that bad. The clear coat on the wing is a different story. Time for a new wing....
Old Sep 7, 2005 | 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

hows EB its metallic paint
Old Sep 7, 2005 | 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
hows EB its metallic paint
3000miles and i have no complaints...
I've waxed monthly and washed ever 2-3 weeks... looking good so far, but i'm sure we've all heard the horror stories about the evos and the paint
Old Sep 7, 2005 | 09:22 AM
EvoM Guru

The paint is good.. However its very thin, especially the clear coat.. Therefore it chips and gets damaged by bird crap and sap easily and not easy to remove.

When the car is detailed the paint looks amazing, its fairly smooth with very little orange peel..

My only complaint about my car has always been the paint gets damaged easily and would frustrate me.
Old Sep 7, 2005 | 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
My only complaint about my car has always been the paint gets damaged easily and would frustrate me.
I second that. They definately could easily of used another coat clear paint.
Old Sep 7, 2005 | 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i just got 05 electric blue i had the 04 blue by you its a lighter color
and the eb paint is much thicker when i would rub the bby too hard on the paint when washing it the paint would come off a little bit and dull the color
i hope that does not happen with this color from first site of the color i new it was a much better paint

thats why i want to know is the EB and GG the only metallic colors for the evo??
Old Sep 7, 2005 | 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

if so does that mean it a better paint/clear coat
Old Sep 7, 2005 | 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

I would have loved GG, but too late for that...
Old Sep 7, 2005 | 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

My red is awful. Sneeze on it and it chips off. I have rock chips where I never knew rocks could fly, and yes, I mean other places than the rear doorjambs. I'm just planning on repainting the car eventually and not really worrying about it anymore. I just think of 'em as battle scars now.
Old Sep 7, 2005 | 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

In my experince, the 05 EVO paint is better then MY04 WRX because after 4 weeks & 4k miles the WRX had 3-5 big chips and another 30-35 small miniscle chips and after 3 months and 9k mile on the EVO and there is only 1-2 little barly noticable chips on my Apex Silver GSR.

I was actully thinking bout starting a thread to mention that my 05 EVO paint was good cuz i heard that the 03-04 paint was bout the same quality as Subaru.
Does anybody know if they made the paint on the 05s better?