Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Effects of bumper bar removal for aftermarket body kits?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2005, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend had this problem with his civic when we installing a kit on it. I sorta "notched" the beam by basically taking a portion of the front of the beam off. Its hard to put into words but i used a sawsall and a jig saw with a steel cutting blade. it only took like 10 min to do. PM me and i can show you a pic or even draw it for you. If you can notch it, do it because then the beam is still technically there and will offer some protection for the radiator. plus its extra support for the body kit.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Removing the bumper bar will just make a simple fender bender cost a lot more money to fix since now you wont have as much protection for your hood, fenders, FMIC, radiator, etc, etc. But safetly wise, don't worry about it. You could always try to make a new smaller bumper bar out of metal or something. Each bumper is different though so maybe some of them this is not an option.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

I've heard of people acquiring much damage from the removal of that bar, but it's only speculation as far as I can tell.

Stupid question...Isn't the kit made of fiberglass, which will shatter regardless of the bar's presence? I know the insurance may be a problem, but I would think the front end is going to be destroyed unless you get urethane. There are other kits out there that retain the bar, if it becomes a huge concern.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

i think the purpose of the crash beam is to move the stress points to the fenders and not into the engine bay.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Do you really have to ask? Seems like common sense would give you the answer?
Old Sep 10, 2005, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MYEVOVIII
Do you really have to ask? Seems like common sense would give you the answer?
You know, you don't have to be so condescending...a lot of us are here on evom to learn from one another. Everyone else that responded to this thread seemed more than happy to answer this members question without a hint of cynicism. Wouldn't you rather him know the answer 100% than being unsure?
Old Sep 10, 2005, 11:42 PM

i didnt have a front bumper on for a little while and rear ended someone doin like 5mph and it bent the bar completly in half.... doesnt do anythin... i cut a section out of my rear for my license plate and it seems cool!
Old Sep 10, 2005, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kimmievo
You know, you don't have to be so condescending...a lot of us are here on evom to learn from one another. Everyone else that responded to this thread seemed more than happy to answer this members question without a hint of cynicism. Wouldn't you rather him know the answer 100% than being unsure?
thanks! its obvious that there would be some type of effect, i just wanted to know how much. i see alot of members changing their body kits, so it made me think what kind of protection the bar really provides and why so many people would go ahead and buy the kits knowing they have to remove the bar. thats what i like about evom, there are alot of considerate and helpful people that provide good answers and comments, its just sad to see comments that degrade people for asking certain questions. i feel this is a good question for people looking into aftermarket body kits.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

I'm reading a lot of if's or maybe's does anyone for a fact know what happens after an insurance claim on a car with a removed front crash beam?? Also if they can list there insurance provider that would be very informative.

thanks.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i double dog dare someone to call and ask their insurance agent.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 03:41 PM

I highly doubt that your insurance wouldn't cover a claim. Odds are the insurance adjuster probably wouldn't even notice if a crash beam was removed or not. Remember these cars are some what rare meaning that it's not like a civic or an accord that the adjusters see on a daily basis. Of course this is pure speculation!!!
Old Sep 13, 2005, 09:40 PM
Account Disabled

or take it to a body shop that is allowed to do their own investigation like mine was. All state authorizes certain shops to perform their own investigation and never actually send anyone to look at the car.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

I asked a body shop once and they told me "if an aftermarket bumper requires removal of crash beam, we won't install it" But they never gave me a reason, maybe liabilities??
Old Sep 14, 2005, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what about chassis stiffness?

Maybe the bar's effects are negligable, but it seems like it would have some bracing/strengthening effect.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

i still have the rear one. front one is gone. saves some weight off the front end. So your brakes will be better. Just drive smart. and watch your rear.

cause if someone rearends you into another car. it'll probably do alot of damage.

Quick Reply: Effects of bumper bar removal for aftermarket body kits?