Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Who else makes rear diffusers?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2005, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trinydex
it's actually really hard to explain but it allow the air to expand without curling back on itself and causing a break in air flow which would then cause drag.
thanx, i see now
Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

The Modelista is a direct copy of RE-Amemiya's rear diffuser for the third gen RX7. I have one on my 7. Now I can swap them back and forth between vehicles.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

So only something like this would be a proper way to bring this thread back to life. I feel this piece still might have a parachute effect, just hopefully the positive gains outweighs that effect.

I do feel APR is a quality company though. What do you think?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...7&page=1&pp=15

I just want to sees wind tunnel test results

Just show that overall drag was reduced due to the addition of this piece. A good example would be...
Remember a couple years ago, Toyota had that Lexus LS430 commercial in which they claimed they sprayed some kind of Teflon coating on its undercarriage and in tests showed that it reduced drag by a fraction? In the commercial they showed the LS430 in a wind tunnel and showed smoke running along the belly of the car. Of course that small reduction of drag can never be seen in a wind tunnel test but there was some tech article out there documenting the results of the coating.

Last edited by mdosu; Apr 19, 2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Where you come to vacation and go home on probation! Vegas!
If you look on Varis's Japanese site there is a diffuser listed for the evo IX but no pics and no pricing .... I'm guessing they have one in the works for the JDM IX rear bumper!

Check it out ... towards the bottom of the page:

http://www.varis.co.jp/japanese/extr...u/staikyu.html
Old Apr 20, 2006, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mdosu
So only something like this would be a proper way to bring this thread back to life. I feel this piece still might have a parachute effect, just hopefully the positive gains outweighs that effect.

I do feel APR is a quality company though. What do you think?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...7&page=1&pp=15

I just want to sees wind tunnel test results

Just show that overall drag was reduced due to the addition of this piece. A good example would be...
Remember a couple years ago, Toyota had that Lexus LS430 commercial in which they claimed they sprayed some kind of Teflon coating on its undercarriage and in tests showed that it reduced drag by a fraction? In the commercial they showed the LS430 in a wind tunnel and showed smoke running along the belly of the car. Of course that small reduction of drag can never be seen in a wind tunnel test but there was some tech article out there documenting the results of the coating.
you'll never seen wind tunnel test. you will likely at best see track results. maybe if you're really lucky ou'll see someone put distnace sensors on their car and then measure how much the car lowers at speed and calculate downforce based on spring rate orfthe car.

keep in mind, there is NO WAY to eliminate the parachute effect unless you build something that COVERS the entire rear half of the undercar. that means you gotta curl the diffuser or panel up and close off all openings.

a less troublesome alternative is to just cut holes in your rear bumper true race car style. what goes in comes out nad there is less drag.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
/\ haha, I always wonderd what those holes were for...