Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!
View Poll Results: Are you changing your stereo system on your EVO?
Nope, it\'s a decent radio. I rather put $ in mods.
25.88%
Yes, I need better.
74.12%
Voters: 483. You may not vote on this poll

Who's ditching the factory stereo system?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2004, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im using two different e-Series amps, the 4300 for speakers and the 1400D for the sub, gotta find the camera and get good light on the trunk...
Old Dec 26, 2004, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Cool. I still like the 5 channels amps. Also can't wait to see the pics.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, 5 channels are good in their own way, it's all personal opinion, here are the pics.

It's got the wood panel that goes over so the carpet can go over and it can still be used as a fully functional trunk (one of my requests when they built it) the triple diamonds on both sides of the sub and the VIII at the bottom were the bulider's idea, so he did them just for kicks, and the little silver thing towards the front of the car is a fan to keep the amps cool.
Attached Thumbnails Who's ditching the factory stereo system?-carpet-covered.jpg   Who's ditching the factory stereo system?-wood-covered.jpg   Who's ditching the factory stereo system?-wood-cover.jpg   Who's ditching the factory stereo system?-side-view.jpg   Who's ditching the factory stereo system?-top-view.jpg  

Old Dec 27, 2004, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Looks good bro!!! Clean look and love the VIII in the middle. Still think I'm going to go with the Alpine F450 or the JL 500/5. Thanks for the pics? Mined if I use them to show my installer for some ideas?
Old Dec 27, 2004, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when you mount the woofer facing up are you getting good bass? Is this setup suppose to be good? I thought facing the woofers towards the back seat would be better?
Old Dec 27, 2004, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

first off, yes you can use the pictures for whatever you want, hell if you want say it's in your car...lol i don't care...and if you can understand all the temp and voltage stuff that having alpine with alpine gives you, then definitly do that one, I just don't know a whole lot except for what my ears can say.

and second, to derek, i get better base then a lot of cars with two twelves, it's all custom made so that that setup is getting good bass, it doesn't hit the seats hard, but you can feel it hard and hear it, the Dynamat that's ship-shod lining the trunk helps a ton too. And well, I wish there was a way to demonstrate it, but trust me, I'm pretty good friends with the guys at the shop, and I've heard a lot of cars and trucks with a lot more subs/amps and for 1 12, it hits pretty dang hard, it's definitly the best single 12 I've heard/felt
Old Dec 27, 2004, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

UT: Thank for the pics 1st. Second I will agree that JL make a great sounding woofer. Maybe I'll do the Alpine amp w/ the 12w3 dual coil 4ohm. We'll see.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

ok so ive been looking at speakers but i dont want to go all out, just want to get rid of the paper sounding raspyness of the stock speakers in the front doors and rear deck, is there anyway i can keep the stock tweeters? Also what is the benefit of running a component setup up front instead of say 6-1/2" 2ways in all 4 locations, and whats the difference of 2way and 3way co-ax's? If i decide to do component set up front how hard is it to keep factory look and how do you wire up the crossovers? how hard? id rather just do a setup that sounds good like 6-1/2" 2ways all around and keep the factory tweets, or is it possible??? HELP!

Last edited by 93civEJ1; Dec 29, 2004 at 03:32 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

First of all, the rears can't quite fit 6-1/2"s and second, if you keep anything factory and replace other things, it won't even sound as good as factory, maybe clearer, but you'll lose a lot of different frequencies, I had just a deck and aftermarket speakers for awhile, and I hated it, I had to get amps and a sub asap, because sure, I had crystal clear sound, but I had absolutly no bass whatsoever and couldn't turn up the volume very loud cuz the deck's power alone wasn't enough...just my .02, someone could say differently, but yeah they did try to fit 650s in my back, and couldn't do it without some serious effort and cutting, so they did 600s instead, not much difference in sound quality between a little half an inch though.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

i have no clue what you speak of.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Oh, right, and you can do a component set with coax and everything upfront and keep a total stock look, they just put the woofers in my door pannels by the speakers and it fit fine. And I don't get your question exactly, but just in case, the rear speakers (actually, all of the speakers on most) in all Japanese cars are not quite up to 6.5 inch American size, so they tried to put 6.5 inchers in the back too, but they had to just do plain 6 inchers. If that didn't answer your question, maybe you could be a bit more specific?
Old Dec 30, 2004, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

ah, so i would need to do 6-1/2's up front and 6" in the rear deck?
Old Dec 30, 2004, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Also, what would you guys suggest if i want to retain and use the factory tweets but just replace the stock other 4 corners? Also i dont want to redo wiring, just want alittle better sound. Nothing fancy.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 93civEJ1
Also, what would you guys suggest if i want to retain and use the factory tweets but just replace the stock other 4 corners? Also i dont want to redo wiring, just want alittle better sound. Nothing fancy.
I think I get what you want. You want to save as much money as posible but want better sound. I look for a good headunit. I went with the Alpine DHA-9835 ($550). I went with this unit becuase I plan on building a big system. But find yourself a good headunit in you price range. Than look for a 10" or 12" subwoofer. JL & Fosgate are my choices. Than get a good amp. This set up will help your bass output and better power for your fasctory speakers.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03EvolutionVIII
I think I get what you want. You want to save as much money as posible but want better sound. I look for a good headunit. I went with the Alpine DHA-9835 ($550). I went with this unit becuase I plan on building a big system. But find yourself a good headunit in you price range. Than look for a 10" or 12" subwoofer. JL & Fosgate are my choices. Than get a good amp. This set up will help your bass output and better power for your fasctory speakers.
thanks man, i already have aftermarket HU and it works fine...its a pioneer premier DEH-P640, i dont want any subs or amps, just factory speaker replacement.

Quick Reply: Who's ditching the factory stereo system?