Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!
View Poll Results: Are you changing your stereo system on your EVO?
Nope, it\'s a decent radio. I rather put $ in mods.
25.88%
Yes, I need better.
74.12%
Voters: 483. You may not vote on this poll

Who's ditching the factory stereo system?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2003, 03:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is anybody interested in a Pioneer Premier DEH-P840MP head unit, or KNOWS anybody looking for one? Im selling it for $350 shipped, PM me if interested or if u kno any1

Thanks!!!
Old Mar 16, 2003, 09:37 AM

I'll be putting my money into mods *and* replacing the factory setup. My current ride has a pretty good setup that's only 2 years old so I'll be transplanting that in my Evo. My head unit is an Alpine 7850 CD/receiver/controller. It's connected to a n Alpine 5048 Mini-disc/DSP head unit via AI-Net. The mini-discs are great for playing MP3's! Power is provided by a 5 channel Alpine V12 series amp (50 watts x4, 100 x1 I think). For speakers I have Boston Acoustic 6.5 Pro series separates and a custom fabricated Kicker C10 subwoofer. It's going to be a real pain removing this stuff from the old car and putting it in the new one but it will only cost me time and ~ $40 for building a new subwoofer enclosure.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by TearItUpSports
I am not sure about the headunit, but I am getting the Kenwood dual mag speakers, because they are so light, but still sound very nice.
Are there any lightweight head units out there
I'm a weight saving freak.
The old excelon head units are pretty light. I have one. Plus dual mags are pretty nice speakers. Harshness on higher treble songs, but still great set of speakers.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

I'm spoiled. I'm running a full JBL system in my eclipse at 90W per channel RMS. I sat in an infiniti m45 the other day with a bose system and it sounded muffled compared to my system...really bad IMO. I was originally going to get sponsored by JBL. I bought most the stuff myself and I was in the works to get sponsored for their new GTi subwoofers. I got toobusy with school and I kinda forgot about it. I'm definately putting a new system in the evo. I've heard it and it's ok for a stock systems but it gave me a headache listening to it. I dont know what head unit i;m getting next but it's probably going to be an alpine or kenwood. I already have my amps and speakers. I'm kinda concerned about weight so I might get a different AMP setup. I've got one amp for the fronts and one amp for the backs from my eclipse.

Last edited by Coolguy949; Mar 16, 2003 at 12:53 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Coolguy949
I'm spoiled. I'm running a full JBL system in my eclipse at 90W per channel RMS. I sat in an infiniti m45 the other day with a bose system and it sounded muffled compared to my system...really bad IMO. I was originally going to get sponsored by JBL. I bought most the stuff myself and I was in the works to get sponsored for their new GTi subwoofers. I got toobusy with school and I kinda forgot about it. I'm definately putting a new system in the evo. I've heard it and it's ok for a stock systems but it gave me a headache listening to it. I dont know what head unit i;m getting next but it's probably going to be an alpine or kenwood. I already have my amps and speakers. I'm kinda concerned about weight so I might get a different AMP setup. I've got one amp for the fronts and one amp for the backs from my eclipse.
I haven't heard a Bose system that sounded good when it comes to their car audio. At least not in my opinion.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

I can definately vouch for that one. Maybe i'm super critical but when people tell me they have premium sound systems in their car....it doesnt matter what brand......i'm always unimpressed. Of course, I dont tell them that. It always sounds too flat. Even many aftermarket systems sound flat. I'm really big in to SQ so anything under 50W RMS per channel ussualy sounds mediocre to me.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

iono i was thinking of getting this..

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...de=clavrx935vd
Old Mar 16, 2003, 08:28 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks nice. I wonder if they could go touch screen for navagation. I'm too cheap. Me need performance mods. Where is that ralliart ecu
Old Mar 16, 2003, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by gtr
That looks nice. I wonder if they could go touch screen for navagation. I'm too cheap. Me need performance mods. Where is that ralliart ecu
haha that is the exact part i am waiting for.. i been talking to a guy with an evo 6.. ralliart antilag.. programmable ecu. he loves it.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you want to get a taste of bose system in a car that will kick your asses, try on in the new CLK 320 - 500 or C320 equipped with bose
Old Mar 16, 2003, 08:52 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Already tried a E500. I know how they sound and I know how my evo sounds stereo wise Once you've experience better it's always hard to down grade so i tried to stay with the stock system for a week but I can't take it anymore
Old Mar 17, 2003, 04:13 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not much of showoff type. But i still do need some bass in the car.
I juz got a pair of Infinity Kappa 63.5i 3way for my rears and Im gonna get the exact same pair for my fronts soon..
Old Mar 17, 2003, 08:28 AM

Anyone thinking of putting real money into a stereo for a car really should have a look at MB Quart. Sony, Pioneer and the like make OK electronics but I dont think their speakers dont come close in quality sound reprodction. I point MBQuart out because they make some awsome speakers with low power reqs. If you are someone who wants good sound but is also looking to keep the weight of your car to a min, have a look. Building an audio setup for your car, done with planning can provide good sound, and still provide a weight friendly environment for your car. I dont think the guys at Mitsu made a super lightweight trunk and hood lid so you guys could make up the weight difference with subwoofers. Dont forget what your driving and why.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by insomniac_evo
like after you guys buy from those sites, how the hell are you goin to install them?
It's very easy to change speakers and HU's...especially if you have an adapter harness.

SC~who'll be keeping it stock....unless the cd skips horribly.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

I am right now thinking:

Kenwood head unit (old, but does everything I want it to)
Boston Pro 5 1/4" components in the doors
JBL 10" sealed sub in the trunk
Rockford Fosgate amp

I am very new to the car stereo thing... I fact this will be my first real build, so if anyone has some suggestions on how I should alter my list above, it would be appreciated.

I am not looking for huge base, but rather sound clarity & quality without spending a ton of cash or adding a ton of weight to the car.

Quick Reply: Who's ditching the factory stereo system?