Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!
View Poll Results: Are you changing your stereo system on your EVO?
Nope, it\'s a decent radio. I rather put $ in mods.
25.88%
Yes, I need better.
74.12%
Voters: 483. You may not vote on this poll

Who's ditching the factory stereo system?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2003, 07:09 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by svillata
GTR: you said that for the moment, while you are waiting for your receiver, you are using the stock unit? And it sounds a helluva lot better than with the paper speakers? I am not a huge stereo buff... but for $200 iinvestment, the speakers would be easy to buy and install for the added sound - especially bass. Everything looks stock when you are done ????? ...i don't want my car broken into in my hi-crime ghetto!!
Yeah it sounds much better, the problem is that I've been told that my stock reciever would ruin stronger aftermarket speakers. I'm guessing the stock reciever is like 50 watts total ver. 65 watts per channel. I've been told this and have no idea if this was in fact true.

What i do know is that stock speaker is 15 watts and aftermarket is like 230 watts.

Easy install with wire harness. Door might be a pain to take off though.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got my kenwood touchscreen dvd installed it was in my first car now i am on my third lol but it is sweet fits in the dash sweet u can reach everything plus it is a dvd/monitor/tv/radio/nav with other brain all in one :-)
Old Apr 12, 2003, 05:29 PM

alpine iva d900 flip out 3 mmats amps. 2set alumapro6.2,
alumapro mx 12's, custom fiberglass box and amp rack.
painted to match the car
Old Apr 12, 2003, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by mk4killer
I just got my kenwood touchscreen dvd installed it was in my first car now i am on my third lol but it is sweet fits in the dash sweet u can reach everything plus it is a dvd/monitor/tv/radio/nav with other brain all in one :-)
i was thinking of getting the kenwood but the only downfall i see is it doesn't play mp3s.
Old Apr 12, 2003, 06:12 PM

o wells thats what u got a cd case for put all the best ones on one cd :-)
Old Apr 13, 2003, 02:53 AM
Evolving Member

I want some bass into my system but don't want a box at all in my trunk...any other options i can look at? 8" subs mounted somewhere else? I want as stock looking as possible

thanks
Old Apr 13, 2003, 02:55 AM
Evolving Member

I want to add some clean (n reasonably loud...but more clean than loud) bass into my system...and i DONT want to have a box in my trunk (i'm tired of that look) at all...is there any other option that i could explore? mounting 8 inch sub(s) somewhere else? I want the car to look as stock as possible

thanks
Old Apr 13, 2003, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by gtr
The japanese GSR has 2-dins. I think you can convert it but unless you live in japan I have no ideal where you would buy it.
I asked about that too actually, because I wanted 2DINs as well, one for gauges and one for HU. Turns out though, that to free up 2DINs you need to be able to use the JDM auto climate controls unit - I asked on another thread and was told that the rewiring and rearranging of RHD/LHD components to get the auto climate controls would be a complete biatch.

My guess is that it would be impractical considering the cost. If anyone has any other info please let us know.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Just got one the other day. Panasonic df-903u I tink. It's tight like booty. The surrounding piece matches the dash and the rest
of does but with a titanium shine to. At night it's that kick a$# blue color but you can dimm cause I'm not really in to the bright
neon glowing inside my cotse. Oh yeah and sounds really good especially with the stock speakers. Only problem is when it flips
down it will hit the dash, so they had to put kind of like an insulator on the sides so you won'nt see it sticking out only like an
1/8th of an inch. Overall I'm very happy with it.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've replaced the stock HU with an Alpine CDA 7813 (I think that's the #). Anyway, I wanted to play MP3s and the Alpine is better quality and more power.... I've also relocated it to the lower placement where the cubby usually resides....

It's supposed to be ready now, I'll pick it up tonight and try it out I'll let you all know how it works out
Old Jun 9, 2003, 11:52 AM

I installed an older Eclipse flip face receiver with GPS and voice response last week and then pulled it back out because it did not look that good. Have decided to only upgrade the stock speakers, Infinity 63.5s in doors and Eclipse 5 1/4 " in back deck, until I can find a good Windows Media head unit that is flat enough. I also agree with the light is better thread, and don't want to lose half of the trunk with a sub and amps. Just changing the stock speakers was a big improvement. Get something that is efficient, 90 db or better, and the stock 10 to 15 watt rms radio does a decent job.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:01 PM

I installed an older Eclipse flip face receiver with GPS and voice response last week and then pulled it back out because it did not look that good. Have decided to only upgrade the stock speakers, Infinity 63.5s in doors and Eclipse 5 1/4 " in back deck, until I can find a good Windows Media head unit that is flat enough. I also agree with the light is better thread, and don't want to lose half of the trunk with a sub and amps. Just changing the stock speakers was a big improvement. Get something that is efficient, 90 db or better, and the stock 10 to 15 watt rms radio does a decent job.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:15 PM

I'm putting in an Eclipse head unit, CDT HD component set up front, and a PPI 75x2 amp. Rear speakers will remain stock for now and driven by the HU.

Not sure what I'm going to do about the install of the front tweeters. I haven't opened up my A-Pillars yet to see if there is room in the stock mounting location for a 1" tweeter. I think we're going to have to do some surgery on the A-pillar.

I should have my install done by the end of this week (hopefully). I expect there will be a 1000% improvement over the nasty stock gear.

John G
Old Jun 9, 2003, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

I bought a JVC that plays MP3 CDs from Best Buy. $160 installed.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Cool car audio

I haven't decided on my deck yet. But I am going Infinity Perfect all around. Two sets of Perfect 6.1's and one Perfect 12.1 DVC. I've been throught 3 different systems in my day and have learned it's all about clarity not power. Infinity provides both power and clarity unmatched, unless you wanna pay as much for your stereo as you did your car and go with some German brand nobody has ever heard of. When it comes to audio it takes a lot to impress me and if you want the best prices on everything audio, try the following websites. You won't find EVERYTHING, however I GUARANTEE you won't find better prices. They do have the basics thought; Pioneer, Alpine, etc...

www.justamps.com
www.justcarspeakers.com
www.justwoofers.com

Quick Reply: Who's ditching the factory stereo system?