Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!
View Poll Results: Is there interest in machine polished cam gear and coil pack covers?
Yes, I want the bright aluminum pieces
63.64%
No, I don't like the aluminum
36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Anyone interested in Aluminum coil pack and cam gear covers??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2005 | 11:54 AM

Anyone interested in Aluminum coil pack and cam gear covers??

Hi guys,

I'm working with MVP Motorsports, a sponsor on these forums, and we want to find out if there is any interest in producing the coil pack cover, and cam gear cover in bright machine polished aluminum.

The cam gear cover will allow for aftermarket cam gears. They both will come out in a bright machine polished finish, and will fit like stock. Retail can be expected to be around the 350-390 range.

So we really want to hear opinions on this.

Thanks guys,

Eric
Old Nov 4, 2005 | 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

pic?
Old Nov 4, 2005 | 12:07 PM

Nothing yet, but it'sthe same as the CF cam gear cover, and spark plug cover in a machine polished aluminum.

What we want to do, is to gauge an interest in these pieces before we commit to production of the first 100 units.

Eric

Last edited by Spike Spiegel; Nov 4, 2005 at 04:02 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2005 | 10:38 PM

Anyone at all?

I thought this would be an set in high demand since there's a flood of CF, and no real aluminum products available as a set for the cam gear cover, and coil pack cover.

Eric
Old Nov 5, 2005 | 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Aluminum would look nice, however I wouldnt spend $400 for engine dress up parts.
Old Nov 5, 2005 | 03:27 PM

The price is a high estimate, but consider that the blocks of aluminum for the cam gear cover and the coilpack cover are HUGE, and it takes special tools to dig out that deeply. If we go ahead with this, we'll do our best to keep costs down, while keeping extremely high quality. I think aluminum in the engine bay would have an unbelievable look.

Eric
Old Nov 5, 2005 | 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

hmmm.. you have to show a sample of your work. It's a picky crowd here but they react a lot better to pictures :}
A few people like RNR have painted the engine bay almost all silver and it looks very good. Im sure you can convey people to buy, expecially the ones that cracked their stockers and looks for replacements.
Old Nov 5, 2005 | 08:52 PM

Here's an example of a couple of parts we have put out for a 93-98 Toyota Supra. Note on the pulley, there's not a right angle to be found, all of those points have a radius.

What we would do, is to make the came gear cover an exact copy of the stock piece, and the coil pack cover would be very close, only with a couple asthetic changes.

Eric
Old Nov 6, 2005 | 12:07 PM

That looks nice
Old Nov 6, 2005 | 12:20 PM
Former Vendor

it sucks making parts, but those are to pricey..
Old Nov 6, 2005 | 12:22 PM
Account Disabled

Heat conducting parts are a hard sell at that pricing. Stock plastic or CF would not carry as much heat.
Old Nov 6, 2005 | 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Would be interested, but your gona have to make one to show us.
Old Nov 6, 2005 | 12:33 PM

A cam gear cover machined from a solid block is not going to economical. I would say just a guess but $150 is probably the highest you could sell them. That would be a HUGE piece of aluminum and I would guess just materials alone would cost proably close to $80

However I think perhaps the spark plug cover idea is much more feasable.
Old Nov 6, 2005 | 02:58 PM

We did the calculations Friday and the dimensions for the coil pack cover compared to the cam gear cover, and they are nearly the same size. It's more expensive than CF, no doubt, but for what they are, it's not too bad.

I'd love to make one to show, but unfortunately, the tooling costs, CAD costs, set-up charges, and machining costs would be easily over 1600 dollars. The thing to do is to amoritize these costs by producing 100 sets.

Keep in mind that if we're to do these, they are not for everyone. CF is now cheap, and so is plastic. Machined aluminum is for those who want something more, and frankly, can afford to purchase them 350-400 dollars. It's for people who want outrageous style, and dare I say it "BLING" under there hood. These items would go well with the stable of Forge Motorsports aluminum accessories.

Fortunately, underhood heat is not a concern as these do not generate it. They conduct heat, but they add no more than what the engine already makes.

All respect to the carbon fiber market, but aluminum is by some considered to be something on another level.

Thanks guys,

Eric
Old Nov 7, 2005 | 11:48 AM

only 3 votes?