Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Polished aluminum radiator covers, product idea

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2005, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3kgt-> i agree with everything you just said...

dafarmer -> as far as me having no idea, that is a little unjustly said...i have been working with these materials for years and could very well make one of these pieces myself for less than this price...i also believe i jsut saw you complaining in another thread about new product prices

however, 3kgt, i can understand if you are making several of the pieces (which you would be)...for me, making one piece wouldnt be that big of a deal...but making several over and over i know i wouldnt want to do...what kind of CNC machine do you have? what type of cutting bits do you use? what kind of brake are you using? IMO if you have the quality equipment, you could machine and bend a couple pieces at a time...like i said, im just trying to give some insight from a customer's/designer's point of view...i believe that is the purpose of this thread, right?
Old Nov 6, 2005, 02:51 PM

I don't have an in house CNC, for these I have been using a router and jigs. For some of the stuff I make I do outsource a CNC just because I get worn out making them over and over again.

The break I use is just a normal flat 48" break, but its 6 seperate bends for each, but thats for the 3000gt, like I said, I have no idea on a lancer how it may be more or less complex.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 02:54 PM
Former Vendor

hey evo tagger, i never said you, dont put words in my mouth.. and yes those other parts were way to expensive and served no purpose, as to where this piece does...
lastly i would rather pay the small man a couple more dollars for a part, for one simple reason, there hand made... not mass produced junk..

Last edited by Curt@MrLed; Nov 6, 2005 at 02:58 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

i wasnt trying to put words in your mouth...it just appeared that it was directed at me

dont knock everything that is mass produced...i believe the evo as well as all of its components are mass produced and honeslty, do you think this piece is going to serve any other purpose besides looks?? it may redirect heat, but not so much as to effect how the car runs and performs

3kgt...i see, outsourcing labor is also going to bump the price a bit as well...i think you could produce these without a CNC machine...do you have access to a manual milling machine? A CNC machine would be more cost effective for larger production runs, but if you are making less than 20 or so, you could cut four or 5 of them at a time with a milling machine and template.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 03:19 PM

Thats basically what I do, but instead of a milling machine I use a large router table, and a jig. Its the same thing, except I am limited to 1 axis.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

ah i see...this would be something you would only need one axis for though...i would be interested in seeing your setup...is it an inverted router or upright? ive only used a routing table on wood, never used it on metal...what kind of bit are you using? is it a pretty clean cut? Sounds like a nice alternative
Old Nov 6, 2005, 08:50 PM

Its inverted. Routers work great on aluminum, but you are limited to probably about 1/4" - 3/8" thick at the most. I use CMT bits mostly, I have actually used the same ones for the past 6 months and they still cut clean. As long as you are not trying to remove too much material it works good, I cut it with a jig saw first down to about 1/8" over the line so the router does the rest of the work. I just go back and clean up any chatter with 80 grit on a 3" DA sander. Its definitely not as smooth as a CNC mill but it gets the job done.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should make some for the DSM. I'd def pick one up for my 2g if ya did
Old Jul 26, 2006, 01:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anything ever happen with this?