Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Fogs On With Parking Lights Only???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fogs On With Parking Lights Only???

Does anyone know how to do this? I know its probably a 10$ mod that can be done with an inline fuse holder and a relay but does anyone actually know how to do it??? I'm not the one to pioneer with electronics that havent been done before but I really want to be able to do this. On the dsm boards there was a way to do it and I've seen it on the IS boards also. If anyone wants to do it i'm sure people would like to see it. thanks in advance

-Steve
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:44 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cut the power wire going to the fog light, cut the power from the parking light, get a 30 amp relay, and wire in the relay..... its real simple.. all you need is a test light, cutters and wire ends or black tape..
Old Nov 26, 2005, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think he wants the fogs on with the parking lights all the time, but the ability to push the foglight button and have the fogs come on with only the running lights on. I have had a desire to figure this out myself....

What I need to do is head out to my car with my test light and dosome probing on the backside of the fog lamp button and see how it works exactly. If I get time today I'll check it out.

- Steve
Old Nov 26, 2005, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

I have been wondering about this myself.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 12:10 AM
Evolving Member

t x 3
Old Nov 28, 2005, 12:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LoCo4
I have been wondering about this myself.
+1
Old Nov 28, 2005, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

I examined the Fog light switch with a test LED probe. There are 4 wires going to the switch. One wire switched momentarily from +12 to ground when the button is pressed. This is the activation for the fog lights, but the switch is not where the main control is. According to the Factory Service Manual's circuit diagrams, the dash mounted switch is simply a trigger for the lighting control module. That brain is what allows the fogs to only be on when the headlights are on. In order to keep the factory wiring scheme the brain would have to be rewired.

I think something along the lines of what dafarmer suggested might be the only way to accomplish your goal. However, that solution directly links your fogs to the running lights.

If I get bored this winter I'm going to dig into the circuit diagrams more and see if the lighting brain can be tricked into thinking the headlights are on when they're not, allowing the foglights to be triggered at all times.

We'll see....

- Steve
Old Nov 29, 2005, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i remember digging through everything, and it was a lot more in depth than an easy fix.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 12:48 PM
Former Sponsor

nice work Dave, basically I want to be able to turn on my fogs whenever I want, whether my parking lights are on, or none of my lights are on. theres got to be some way to do it. why cant a constant power wire be ran to wherever the fog switch is getting the signal that they are on??? like whatever tells the fog computer the low beams are on, why cant we just run a constant power wire to that? or is it not easy?
Old Nov 29, 2005, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

That's what I'm trying to figure out. The schematic for the Fog Light circuit is a lot more complicated than you'd imagine. I will look into it more, but right now I have other priorities with the car. Once I figure it out I will post up my findings. But to answer your question, no, you can't just run a constant power wire from the dash switch to the lights for two reasons. The dash switch is a momentary switch, meaning it only makes contact while the button is pressed. Secondly, the switch can't handle the current needed to power the lights. This second issue can be remedied with a Relay, which is how I would wire it anyway, but it still doesn't solve the momentary switch issue.

I'll get back to this thread when I figure it out.

- Steve (not Dave)
Old Nov 29, 2005, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

i did this to my wifes IS300, i know its not a Evo, but perhaps it may enlighten to some ideas.

there is a one wire mod for her car which basically gives igintion power to the relay directly. whenever she turns her key on, she can have the fogs on independantly of anything else. the relay was basically triggered everytime the car was started. if you look under the hood in the evo, find the relay box, you can find the relay that goes to the fogs. now, my theory is that if you have ignition power triggering the activation for the fogs instead of the headlight trigger, i think it would serve the same purpose without any damages. THIS IS JUST A THEORY and i have not tested it out myself, yet. i, too, was testing out the switch itself and found the same as superhatch stated above. perhaps superhatch can do somemore probing to let us know his findings. good luck.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by badhabit90
i did this to my wifes IS300, i know its not a Evo, but perhaps it may enlighten to some ideas.

there is a one wire mod for her car which basically gives igintion power to the relay directly. whenever she turns her key on, she can have the fogs on independantly of anything else. the relay was basically triggered everytime the car was started. if you look under the hood in the evo, find the relay box, you can find the relay that goes to the fogs. now, my theory is that if you have ignition power triggering the activation for the fogs instead of the headlight trigger, i think it would serve the same purpose without any damages. THIS IS JUST A THEORY and i have not tested it out myself, yet. i, too, was testing out the switch itself and found the same as superhatch stated above. perhaps superhatch can do somemore probing to let us know his findings. good luck.
That is exactly my idea... the thing I've noticed though is that the control comes from the headlight computer and not an external relay, at least to the best of my understanding. We shall see what I find...

- Steve
Old Nov 30, 2005, 08:38 AM
Former Sponsor

my Gf has a 2005 Is300 and she wants to be able to do that also. i gotta find that mod in is300.net and do it for her
Old Nov 30, 2005, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if someone can provide me with the wiring diagram for the fog lights, I can guarante that I can figure this out...
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Cool

Originally Posted by NOLIMITMOTORS
my Gf has a 2005 Is300 and she wants to be able to do that also. i gotta find that mod in is300.net and do it for her

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t...hlight=fog+mod

heres the link. instead of using a single wire, use a small fuse holder and fuse just to be safe. that is what i did. easy to do.

Quick Reply: Fogs On With Parking Lights Only???