Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Flat blacked the intercooler...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2005, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmmm now to find an anodizer
Old Nov 29, 2005, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

I have heard the same - Anodizing is OK, but off the shelf black-paint is not. I have heard that the radiator specific paint is safe in light coats, but will chip off easily and need several coats. Kind of a catch-22 there. Just my 2 cents!
Old Nov 29, 2005, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

There is so much more to this then a "1st year Physics class". AS long as you keep the thickness of paint under .003" and make sure to use a radiator paint or some other type of paint with a high Boron Nitrite content you will be fine and on the crappy stock intercooler you will see no difference at all. Now if you use some genero paint like home wood paint then you will see a big difference as you have succesfully insulated your intercooler. I like the look.

Oh yeah and for all the people who think they are engineers and have "heard" that it will affect the cooling, why not take a look at any turbo Ford or turbo Chrysler made from 85-93, all the intercoolers are black. Oh yeah and Garrett themselves painted cores for the better part of 20 years.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by Evillusion
Im sorry, but you are incorrect. It makes no difference what color you paint your intercooler, the very presence of PAINT on the aluminum fins will most definitely cause the fins to be less efficient at radiating heat in to the atmosphere... 1st year physics.
Sorry to correct your first year physics, but it actually depends on the coating. You will learn that in your senior level thermal dynamics class. Coatings can either aid in the radiation of heat or the retention of heat. Some paint types (think radiator paint) will aid in the transfer of heat (radiation) and that is the purpose of an IC and a few coats will not impact air flow through the cooler.

How about some real science. Here are a some books that deal with coatings, thermal effeciency, turbines, turbo chargers and heat exchangers (intercoolers). Not very entertaining reading, but informative.

Fundamentals of Thermal-Fluid Sciences, by Y. Cengel and R. Turner - great resource for radiation effeciency, covers paints, aluminium and most everything else
Heat Transfer Essentials: A Textbook, by L. Jiji - good general resource
Handbook of Turbomachinery, Edited by Earl Logan, Jr. and Remenda Roy - not automotive, but helpful
Heat Transfer Enhancement of Heat Exchangers, by S. Kakac, not automotive but great resource for understanding principles of heat transfer.

Last edited by robertrinaustin; Nov 29, 2005 at 08:41 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i've actually read of a product that's made to coat the front of the intercooler to help its efficiency and it comes out looking like black paint. they tested the stuff out and it worked pretty well...cant remember where i read it at though. when i find it again i'll post it. the engineers who made it said that black paint won't help, but won't hurt the intercooler's efficiency either.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOLIMITMOTORS
anodizing it doesnt hurt it, spray painting it does
+1
Looks good though but if it's painted then that a no no.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 09:07 PM
Account Disabled

Yea I love black IC but I am not about to paint mine.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 09:08 PM

i beleive atlantic motorsports in Wash DC does anodizing... but it might be powdercoating... i think its powder coating... hmm find a chemical place to call
Old Nov 29, 2005, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by JB1
Stealth?? you bought a friggin Evo!
word. haha i was about to say the same thing.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

Full-Race does anodizing. Check out their website. But it will make you want to buy some stuff from them.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MM Racing
There is so much more to this then a "1st year Physics class". AS long as you keep the thickness of paint under .003" and make sure to use a radiator paint or some other type of paint with a high Boron Nitrite content you will be fine and on the crappy stock intercooler you will see no difference at all. Now if you use some genero paint like home wood paint then you will see a big difference as you have succesfully insulated your intercooler. I like the look.

Oh yeah and for all the people who think they are engineers and have "heard" that it will affect the cooling, why not take a look at any turbo Ford or turbo Chrysler made from 85-93, all the intercoolers are black. Oh yeah and Garrett themselves painted cores for the better part of 20 years.
.003" huh? Where did you get that figure...oh yeah: right out of thin air. By the way I AM an ENGINEER.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

here u go I got it done at Swain Tech in NY.

By the Way u have a evo. Theres not point in doing this.
I like the fact that i can roll on the highway get into the left lane and have every car in front of me, just move to the right! LOL its just GREAT

Last edited by Soon 2 B EVIL; Nov 29, 2005 at 11:18 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

thats nice
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MM Racing
Man, where's this flame coming from? Can't engineers get things wrong? I'm not talking about my own post here, but in a way painting it does effect the efficiency of the i/c and that effect is detrimental if you use the wrong paint or if it's too thick. The fact is that if you just walk in to a hardware store and grab a tin of black paint, it's probably the wrong type.

If it's a DIY job, then it is likely that you'll get too thick a coat. And about the maximum thickness of the paint, that entirely depends on the properties of your paint.

In anycase, I think manufacturers paint radiators more for surface protection and looks rather than to aid efficiency.

btw, in my original post, i said the color only affects the radiative properties of the i/c. [which has no significant effect, i think]. I even mentioned that the oil cooler is black.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by devo720
word. haha i was about to say the same thing.
Why do so many people think that there's something wrong with having a clean, or sleeper evo? Not everyone buys them to be obnoxious toy-looking cars.

Quick Reply: Flat blacked the intercooler...