Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Flat blacked the intercooler...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2005, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flat blacked the intercooler...

Looks ten times better in my opinion...

And heres a shot of the engine for fun...

Old Nov 29, 2005, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

I cant see it from that angle, and what type of paint did you use??
Old Nov 29, 2005, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Dont paint your intercooler. You will be messing up the heat dissipation properties of the cooling fins. In other words, your intercooler will not be as efficient. I know this from experience. I also painted my I/C because I had some bent fins and they looked bad. On a hot day, I lose enough HP that I can feel it. No I don't have dyno numbers to back this up, because it is very difficult to test this sitting still on a dyno.

Last edited by RogueSTi; Nov 29, 2005 at 04:29 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

I want my car to remain a sleeper/stealth. Can I paint or anodize my intercooler so it is not easily visible?
Yes! It is not uncommon at all for an intercooler and endtanks to be anodized black to keep attention away from the car and help it maintain a sleeper appearance. A very light coat of paint on the core and endtanks is also another option, usually much cheaper and easier than anodizing, with a negligible performance loss.

This is from turbobygarrett.com in the FAQ section
Old Nov 29, 2005, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evillusion
You will be messing up the heat dissipation properties of the cooling fins.
thats what i thought ^^
but it does look good
Old Nov 29, 2005, 04:39 PM
Former Sponsor

I think they nomally use radiator paint which supposidly has no ill cooling effects.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

There are anodized IC out, and they actually claim to aide in heat dissipation due to a greater surface area. But paint is a no no.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by Evillusion
Dont paint your intercooler. You will be messing up the heat dissipation properties of the cooling fins. In other words, your intercooler will not be as efficient. I know this from experience. I also painted my I/C because I had some bent fins and they looked bad. On a hot day, I lose enough HP that I can feel it. No I don't have dyno numbers to back this up, because it is very difficult to test this sitting still on a dyno.

I'm going to disagree. I guess if you have the IC in direct sunlight it could get hotter because it is black and doesn't reflect like the silver. However, this is contrary to the experience of some of the biggest IC makers. A large IC maker that offers both black and silver ICs reported no difference on the road or dyno that they could measure. I might add that I have a black IC as well and have not noticed any difference.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
I'm going to disagree. I guess if you have the IC in direct sunlight it could get hotter because it is black and doesn't reflect like the silver. However, this is contrary to the experience of some of the biggest IC makers. A large IC maker that offers both black and silver ICs reported no difference on the road or dyno that they could measure. I might add that I have a black IC as well and have not noticed any difference.
^^^
Old Nov 29, 2005, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Man, I dig it, totally incognito! I was also considering doing the same to lose some unwanted attention. My only concern was ill effects on the cooling capabilities of the IC. I have done a small amount of research on it via the internet. Some say no problems with it, others say it causes problems. I dont see how a lightcoat of spraypaint could cause a huge loss in power. I could see if you layed it on thick and clogged the fins/coils so airflow was obstructed, but other than that?
Old Nov 29, 2005, 05:16 PM
JB1

Stealth?? you bought a friggin Evo!
Old Nov 29, 2005, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

I feel sorry for your EVO Well, if that's your choice then paint the Brembos too, and get some steel wheels with hub caps to go with it, Enkeis don't look stealthy at all.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

I also thought that making it black would upset the heat transfer from your I/C. But then again, your oil cooler is black.

Perhaps it depends on the paint you use. It seems pretty obviousl that if you just cover it in layers of really thick paint that things are going to go a bit t1ts up.

Is it something to do with radiant heat dissipation as opposed to convection or conduction? I'm not so big on Thermodynamics myself. Anyone?
Old Nov 29, 2005, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JB1
Stealth?? you bought a friggin Evo!
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. Out of all the Evo colors, I think Apex is the most "under the radar," but its still and Evo, therefore, pointless in my opinion to try to go for stealth.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Welcome to the hiding place. Even the HonduhBoys don't bother me.

Quick Reply: Flat blacked the intercooler...