Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Head unit upgrade-Need Help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2005, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head unit upgrade-Need Help

Alright guys,

My girl wants to buy me something for xmas and i can't figure out what i really need that's in the $300 range. I figure i would just upgrade the HU in the EVO 8.

Well the question is, what do you guys recommend? I like the red color of my spedometer,etc and plan to make the climate control, lighter, clock the same color. So, I would like a radio that has the same color red to match.

Anyone with any recommendations? Pics would be helpfull also. Thanks guys
Old Dec 5, 2005, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I just got a kenwood motorized face its sweet I can change the color from green to red
Old Dec 5, 2005, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

i have a alpine cda-7893 cd player that is xm radio ready, cd changer controls, remote and etc that i would be willing to part with. pm me offers.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

I had the apline cda-7893 for a while and it was an awesome radio! I now have the alpine cda 7998. they dont make it anymore but try to find it. i have worked in the car audio business for over six years and it is one of the nicest radios i have ever owned!
Old Dec 5, 2005, 05:35 PM

buy the dash kit from spoolingevox that will allow a double din navi screen. then pinch your pennies for the pioneer avic-d2. only catch is the kit is not quite done yet, but he said it will be in $300 range. info located in the "finally did it" thread
Old Dec 5, 2005, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

I am hopefully getting the Alpine 9847 from my woman for Christmas:

IT had all the things I was looking for
The Illumination can change to amber or red, I think it will match fairly well.
Ipod Controls (optional)
Aux Input
Sirius Controls (optional)
Sub control

Old Dec 5, 2005, 07:15 PM

I don't see where it says "Sirius" on the HU. Usually it has that little picture of Sirius.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cali2MDevo8
Alright guys,

My girl wants to buy me something for xmas and i can't figure out what i really need that's in the $300 range. I figure i would just upgrade the HU in the EVO 8.

Well the question is, what do you guys recommend? I like the red color of my spedometer,etc and plan to make the climate control, lighter, clock the same color. So, I would like a radio that has the same color red to match.

Anyone with any recommendations? Pics would be helpfull also. Thanks guys
Just an idea, but how about getting an adapter to run an iPod through the stock head unit? That would be very cool, you could have thousands of songs to play and nobody would try to steal your stock HU....
Old Dec 5, 2005, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

I don't see where it says "Sirius" on the HU. Usually it has that little picture of Sirius.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UYafsqX...0&I=500CDA9847

Does either sirius or XM it says SAT on the headunit
Old Dec 5, 2005, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sony cdx-fw570 all red and u can change the color of the face(also to red), 52X4 mp3playback, 3preout, flip, about 170
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

I have an Alpine 9825 with a Sirius decoder hooked up through the AI Net port. I like it except for two minor irritations:

1. In sunlight, you can't see the display at all. I understand the newer units address this issue. At least, I hope they do.

2. For some unknown reason, I lose my Sirius station presets with regularity. FM and AM presets are fine.

But the Alpine does everything else well. A decent amount of power, good looks, good ergonomics, and it has been reliable.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

I have, and would recomend the Alpine CDA 9855 HU. You can change the color to match perfectly! I have it hooked up with the Alpine KCA 420i which is the iPod interface and my iPod it tucked up under the dash (hard for others to find) and I dont have to worry about my whole CD collection getting stollen (45GB of music)
just my 2cents...

Chris
Old Dec 6, 2005, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have the CDA 9855 also, just picked it up for 320 shipped! Excellent HU! I jjust installed it last night and still have to fiigure out how to use it.
Originally Posted by dEdiYT11
I have, and would recomend the Alpine CDA 9855 HU. You can change the color to match perfectly! I have it hooked up with the Alpine KCA 420i which is the iPod interface and my iPod it tucked up under the dash (hard for others to find) and I dont have to worry about my whole CD collection getting stollen (45GB of music)
just my 2cents...

Chris
Old Dec 6, 2005, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Sat radio ready on the right hand side under the MP3 WMA means it can do sirius or xm
Old Dec 6, 2005, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Petey Turbo
I have the CDA 9855 also, just picked it up for 320 shipped! Excellent HU! I jjust installed it last night and still have to fiigure out how to use it.
yup, i have the cda 9855 hu as well, for 320 thats a rockin price. ive had my hu since the beginning of september. ive finally got all the features down, almost to a fine art. most times this is too much headunit for any one though, most people dont even know what time correction is. but this hu allows you to change the 4 buttons on the left to 510ish colors, if you get bored with that, my my my. also you can change the colors around the knob and the buttons above and below it between green and amberish orange. ive got my hu so it matches my AFC and blends in with my factory gauges perfectly.

good luck on your choice with the radio!

Quick Reply: Head unit upgrade-Need Help