Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

apr canard placement

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm........interesting angle. How is turn in? I believe if you go too far with the angle there will be more drag rather than downforce. I'm not too sure, I am just starting out in aerodynamics as a pilot but let me read you this. This is referring to airfoils on air or rotorcraft. I believe it's universal though. "When the angle of attack is increased, air flowing over the airfoild is diverted over a greater distance, resulting in an increase of air velocity and more force(lift or downforce). As angle of attack is increased further, it becomes more difficult for air to flow smoothly across the top of an airfoil. At this point the airflow begins to seperate from the airfoil and enters a burbling or turbulent pattern. The turbulence results in a large increase in drag and loss of lift or downforce in the area where it is taking place. "

hope that helps.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MrMejia

how's this?
that looks a lot better
Old Jan 8, 2006, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

I have the same canards and i could notice a difference driving on the highway. The front end seems more stable. I also love how they look.
Attached Thumbnails apr canard placement-59046310_181551034_0.jpg  
Old Jan 8, 2006, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

i agree i also found a diff in the front end while driving...

MrMejia: hmmm........interesting angle. How is turn in? I believe if you go too far with the angle there will be more drag rather than downforce. I'm not too sure, I am just starting out in aerodynamics as a pilot but let me read you this. This is referring to airfoils on air or rotorcraft. I believe it's universal though. "When the angle of attack is increased, air flowing over the airfoild is diverted over a greater distance, resulting in an increase of air velocity and more force(lift or downforce). As angle of attack is increased further, it becomes more difficult for air to flow smoothly across the top of an airfoil. At this point the airflow begins to seperate from the airfoil and enters a burbling or turbulent pattern. The turbulence results in a large increase in drag and loss of lift or downforce in the area where it is taking place. "

hope that helps.
if i understood it correctly ur talking about a wing which creats lift in a diff way much like the rear wing on the evo 8s and 9 where if u were to take a cross section its more bowed on one side so the air particals must flow faster along that surface crateing a depression therefore sucking up on the wing (down in our case since its reversed)http://www.indiana.edu/~bradwood/eag...osssection.gif

but in theaory ur still right if the angel on the canard is too strong then drag becomes heavier and therefor minamizing ur efforts
Old Jan 9, 2006, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

"In theory" but, I do wish I had a friend with wind tunnel access. That would be nice.
Then it wouldn't be theory, it would be fact.