Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

blacked out headlights question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2006 | 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

^yeah definately, good quality work
Old Mar 2, 2006 | 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

I bake mine at 200. for about 10 - 12 min. I lay aluminum foil down on the rack and set the lights on top of that. Then when you take them out there usually warm, once you get a side started they usually pull right apart, if not stick them back in for a few miunates, and pry again.. Really pretty simple. Then I just do a thin coat of primer, followed by satin black. Once there all dry, I put them back togeather, stick them back in the oven for a bit then press them togeather. Last I go around the seal with black silicone to make sure there sealed!
Old Mar 2, 2006 | 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

i did mine for 10 min at 250 cause 200 didnt do anything. i had to take a flat heat and a razor to get it apart.
Old Mar 2, 2006 | 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
How?? They take literally 10 minutes to separate, a little time for paint, and then another 10 to put them back together. This is not a difficult job at all.

Tom
I'm saying 9 hours start to finish ie. taking them off the car, baking 15 min each, masking off, painting-letting it dry all the way, put back together, put back on car. We did one light at a time too and took our time so they would look good, and they do.
Old Mar 2, 2006 | 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

post ur head lights
Old Mar 2, 2006 | 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i didn't rush...but i didn't take my time either...and my headlights definetly didn't fall apart coming out the oven...
i got some pix of my headlights... 3 coats primer/ 4 coats paint...no short cuts for me(tom sawyer)

paint materials: $27
hours spent: 5
not having to give props to evodave for doing your headlights....priceless
Old Mar 2, 2006 | 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

I am still trying to figure out how to paint the lower portion amber.
Old Mar 2, 2006 | 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

i'm not sure, but i think you paint the lense for that bottom bit amber. or you could chrome it and use translucent amber???
Old Mar 3, 2006 | 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

I am doing mine this weekend and am wondering once they are painted and you have them back together, why do you put them back in the oven?
Old Mar 3, 2006 | 06:31 AM
Account Disabled

From: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
i think the thing most people realize and look at is this.... if they do them theirselves there is/can be issues (especially handling the hid equipment and bulbs as they can leave them in and i remove them and re-install). A large share of my customers do tails and heads at the same time so its effective time wise for the heads since they are doing tails anyway. Additionally most of my customers appreciate spending a few bucks to get a perfect product that has been tested and is warrantied FOREVER. I have done over 400 sets of headlights alone (not just evos) and overtime have changed methods of doing , preping and painting the lights. I use a high high grade paint that is a special mix from the local paint store and is now known as JDM black as its a perfect mix of matte material as well as a slight gloss.....this paint i use isn't some can of flat black...its expensive stuff. I also offer services for removing scratches and chips in the lights and can use any other options also (body color,amber signals,intake ducts, gunmetals , paints with or without flake....anything and its all automotive body paint)and lifetime warrantied.
I am glad some people take the time to do theirs....that gives me time to sleep at night .....lol. I am already swamped with lights...not that i mind. Most customers of mine have experience with lights but don't feel like taking to chance the possibility of ruining or damaging a set of lights that is over $1200 from factory. I offer a service with fast return and work that i think is top notch....i wouldn't have 317 positive feedbacks and repeat business unless i do what i have to so that my customers are pleased. I think it comes down to spending a few bills isn't a lot when you spent $30000 + on the car.
Thanks for the time,
Evodave

http://public.fotki.com/evodave/
http://public.fotki.com/evodave/evo_8_taillight/

Old Mar 3, 2006 | 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

you put them back in, because it reheats the glue and makes it easier to seal back togeather.
Old Mar 3, 2006 | 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

ok, cool, thanks
Old Mar 3, 2006 | 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodave
i think the thing most people realize and look at is this.... if they do them theirselves there is/can be issues (especially handling the hid equipment and bulbs as they can leave them in and i remove them and re-install). A large share of my customers do tails and heads at the same time so its effective time wise for the heads since they are doing tails anyway. Additionally most of my customers appreciate spending a few bucks to get a perfect product that has been tested and is warrantied FOREVER. I have done over 400 sets of headlights alone (not just evos) and overtime have changed methods of doing , preping and painting the lights. I use a high high grade paint that is a special mix from the local paint store and is now known as JDM black as its a perfect mix of matte material as well as a slight gloss.....this paint i use isn't some can of flat black...its expensive stuff. I also offer services for removing scratches and chips in the lights and can use any other options also (body color,amber signals,intake ducts, gunmetals , paints with or without flake....anything and its all automotive body paint)and lifetime warrantied.
I am glad some people take the time to do theirs....that gives me time to sleep at night .....lol. I am already swamped with lights...not that i mind. Most customers of mine have experience with lights but don't feel like taking to chance the possibility of ruining or damaging a set of lights that is over $1200 from factory. I offer a service with fast return and work that i think is top notch....i wouldn't have 317 positive feedbacks and repeat business unless i do what i have to so that my customers are pleased. I think it comes down to spending a few bills isn't a lot when you spent $30000 + on the car.
Thanks for the time,
Evodave

http://public.fotki.com/evodave/
http://public.fotki.com/evodave/evo_8_taillight/

nice....i guess you're responding to my post. I've seen your work and respect it...i just like getting my hands dirty...clutch jobs...electrical...etc... you appreciate it more vs you buying it complete...it is daunting to most, however, it is very easy ...just time consuming. I'm sure you have a technique where you can knock out headlights super quick...word on the street is you got a sweat-factory working on headlights in mass production ... lol ... jk
keep up the good work dave...i'll keep on doing "most" of my mods myself and encouraging people to do so...within limits

- jeff (aka potential evodave competition )
Old Mar 3, 2006 | 08:07 PM
Account Disabled

From: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
hehehe.... cool deal ! yeah the heads aren't bad to do....the tails are a pita though and have taken a long time to perfect and figure out sealing as well as testing for seal as i do for the heads and tails before shipment back.
Dave
Old Mar 3, 2006 | 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodave
hehehe.... cool deal ! yeah the heads aren't bad to do....the tails are a pita though and have taken a long time to perfect and figure out sealing as well as testing for seal as i do for the heads and tails before shipment back.
Dave
whats the secret with the tails? care 2 share...separation

Quick Reply: blacked out headlights question