Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

blacked out headlights question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2006 | 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

blacked out headlights question

I"m trying to decide how I want to paint my headlights, Everyone seems to have the evo daveones, but he paints the turn signal reflectors, does anyone have ones painted that left that chrome??
Old Mar 1, 2006 | 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

I'm sure evodave may have some pic's of the headlight light's blackedout with the turnsignal left chrome.

Last edited by eVo8sTaTuS; Mar 2, 2006 at 05:46 AM.
Old Mar 1, 2006 | 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

I blacked out my lights and left the blinker reflector chrome. I think it looks really good because it reflects a little black on it with the chrome. If you do it yourself, plan on a all day thing. It took me and my friend from the shop I go to 9 hours start to finish, but now we could probably do it faster.
Old Mar 1, 2006 | 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nicksalerno80
I blacked out my lights and left the blinker reflector chrome. I think it looks really good because it reflects a little black on it with the chrome. If you do it yourself, plan on a all day thing. It took me and my friend from the shop I go to 9 hours start to finish, but now we could probably do it faster.

How?? They take literally 10 minutes to separate, a little time for paint, and then another 10 to put them back together. This is not a difficult job at all.

Tom
Old Mar 1, 2006 | 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

All i now is EVODAVE is man when it comes to lights..
Old Mar 1, 2006 | 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

he doesnt paint the reflector unless you ask him to.....he can make it amber or leave it clear.....its your choice....go with the master........evodave knows his lights. He did mine....

check it out for yourself....

http://public.fotki.com/evodave/headlights/
Old Mar 1, 2006 | 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
he doesnt paint the reflector unless you ask him to
+1. Just tell him exactly what you want done and he'll hook you up.
Old Mar 1, 2006 | 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

You guys really can do this yourselves, it's cake. I've done a few sets for guys but almost feel bad taking that much money for such an easy job. The lights practically fall apart when heated and painting something that is sealed inside plastic protection is like falling out of bed because they don't need prep or primer.. The set I did on my GSX five years ago is still looking awesome, saw them when I ran into the new owner on the road a few weeks back. I know there are some folks intent on spending the money but if you've even considered doing it yourself you should go for it!

Tom
Old Mar 1, 2006 | 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

I Can do the head lights myself, I just wanted to see the pictures before I did it. I've painted several headlights from many different makes of cars. I just wanted to see the look before I went and painted.
Old Mar 1, 2006 | 08:22 PM
Account Disabled

I have seen them left chrome before, I just can't find any pics of it at the moment. I prefer the all black though.
Old Mar 1, 2006 | 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

maybe a touch of chrome on a silver evo may look hot... anything else...black all the way

Tom - don't know how long you baked your headlights ....but mine did not fall apart ...it takes effort...and you're the 2nd Tom Sawyer i know....weird
Old Mar 1, 2006 | 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

i'm going w/ the JDM MR heads because they DO shine brighter and look better. bad side is the cost.
Old Mar 2, 2006 | 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
How?? They take literally 10 minutes to separate, a little time for paint, and then another 10 to put them back together. This is not a difficult job at all.

Tom
took me like 30 min a peice, didnt have a good method i guess. but got them apart non the less
Old Mar 2, 2006 | 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
You guys really can do this yourselves, it's cake. I've done a few sets for guys but almost feel bad taking that much money for such an easy job. The lights practically fall apart when heated and painting something that is sealed inside plastic protection is like falling out of bed because they don't need prep or primer.. The set I did on my GSX five years ago is still looking awesome, saw them when I ran into the new owner on the road a few weeks back. I know there are some folks intent on spending the money but if you've even considered doing it yourself you should go for it!

Tom

what temp did you bake them at? mine required some effort to get apart. and you said you didnt sand or primer them? i am not a professional painter but ive been told that the quality of a paint job starts with a good sanding ......just what ive been told
Old Mar 2, 2006 | 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

+1 for evodave

Quick Reply: blacked out headlights question