Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

any IX painted wheels?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm thats interesting.. can someone photochop the A-Team" looking one and instead of the grey on the body, make it the WW.. that gave me an idea.. lol
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 5230EVO
thanks guys...
some how they look like Work Emotion

KiRrSAcE...how much did u spend on painting the wheels?
u do it by yourself?

probably about 20-25 bucks
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

you can do it a few ways. I personally got it from the dealer like this, but im positive they would charge you an arm and a leg. When I had my GSR I painted my stockers for my summer tires.

1. Clean off wheels thoroughly, then lay wheel/tire flat on ground.
2. Scuff wheel with sandpaper, i used 340 grit, but its up to you, then clean wheel again.
3. Stick index cards around edge of wheel between tire and wheel to keep paint off of tires.
4. Spray several light coats of paint onto wheel. I used DupliColor Wheel Paint, graphite color, available from AutoZone, $4/can.
5. Spray several light coats of clearcoat if desired, depending on how shiny you want the final product to be. Clearcoat will also make the final finish feel smoother.
Now, after doing that, here is what I have observed needs to be done in addition to those steps above:

- Before painting, you should use an aircraft stripper to remove ALL original clearcoat and any paint that is on the wheel to begin with. Take it down to bare aluminum.

- Clean wheel, strip off clearcoat (use gloves, and try to keep the stuff off the tires), clean off residue, clean/wash wheel again, then paint as above.

- As far as primer, I'm not sure if that should be used beforehand or not. I didn't, but you might have better results if you use it.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chrisalishuss
you can do it a few ways. I personally got it from the dealer like this, but im positive they would charge you an arm and a leg. When I had my GSR I painted my stockers for my summer tires.

1. Clean off wheels thoroughly, then lay wheel/tire flat on ground.
2. Scuff wheel with sandpaper, i used 340 grit, but its up to you, then clean wheel again.
3. Stick index cards around edge of wheel between tire and wheel to keep paint off of tires.
4. Spray several light coats of paint onto wheel. I used DupliColor Wheel Paint, graphite color, available from AutoZone, $4/can.
5. Spray several light coats of clearcoat if desired, depending on how shiny you want the final product to be. Clearcoat will also make the final finish feel smoother.
Now, after doing that, here is what I have observed needs to be done in addition to those steps above:

- Before painting, you should use an aircraft stripper to remove ALL original clearcoat and any paint that is on the wheel to begin with. Take it down to bare aluminum.

- Clean wheel, strip off clearcoat (use gloves, and try to keep the stuff off the tires), clean off residue, clean/wash wheel again, then paint as above.

- As far as primer, I'm not sure if that should be used beforehand or not. I didn't, but you might have better results if you use it.

pretty good method but i would always suggest using primer itll etch into the aluminum better and make it more durable
Old Apr 5, 2006, 01:11 AM
Evolving Member

If I would have painted the wheels on my own i definitely would have primered. I don't think the dealer did... the paint is already chipping off @ 3k. It started in a couple places after 500.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:09 PM

i'm also thinking about painting my wheels
Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

I'd powder coat them for strength and durability. Paint, especially unleaded American legal paint will not last long IMO.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question: What' the process for doing the inside of the wheels?

I've been contemplating powder coating or spray painting my wheels myself. I believe that in the long-run, spray painting is the way to go. Who else would take a better job of their car than the owner? And besides, spray painting is more economical than the powder coating route. I'm going to give it a shot on my Tarmac Black VIII and just in case it doesn't turn out the way I want it, I can go the powder coating route. I think momma would be much happier if I had success spray painting my wheels for about $50 than having to powder coat them for about $250-350. As soon as the sun shows its face here in the northwest, the project will begin.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 01:32 AM
Evolved Member

Wow.... thats expensive powder coating. I've been quoted around $30/wheel here in SoCal if they're non-painted when they get there.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Andrew LB
Wow.... thats expensive powder coating. I've been quoted around $30/wheel here in SoCal if they're non-painted when they get there.
I guess everything here in the northwest is more expensive. I was quoted $60/wheel for a grand total of $240 not including the price of getting the tires removed and then put back on after the process is finished.

I'm still looking for the answer of whether or not I have to do the inside of my wheels any different than the outside.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

That's fuggin sick!
Old Apr 18, 2006, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

the IX rims do look better painted than the VIII....IMO
Old Apr 18, 2006, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

The IX wheels may look better. But. I'm still wondering if the inside of the VIII wheels are done the same as the outside.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

A few more questions:
1. Can 220 grit sand paper handle the sanding duties instead of the posted 340 grit?
2. What type/brand of stripper/remover was used?
Old Apr 19, 2006, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pure_evo
I guess everything here in the northwest is more expensive. I was quoted $60/wheel for a grand total of $240 not including the price of getting the tires removed and then put back on after the process is finished.

I'm still looking for the answer of whether or not I have to do the inside of my wheels any different than the outside.
Here in Boston it's $95 a wheel, not including removing tires and mounting them back on.

I wish I lived in Cali sometimes.

Quick Reply: any IX painted wheels?