Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Color coating the intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2006 | 07:41 AM

Color coating the intercooler?

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I have a tarmac black EVO, and I am in the process of toning down the exterior looks of my EVO to draw less attention to myself, mainly from local authorities. I'm constantly tailed and harassed by them and I can just be driving along doing absolutely nothing.. I'm currently working on getting rid of the spoiler on the trunk.

To me it seems the second largest attention drawing item on the EVO is the front mount intercooler. I'm wondering if I dulled it down some with a thin coating of high temp paint, would there be any adverse effects? I'd imagine if I caked it with paint it would affect the cooling properties, but I'm talking about a thin coating just enough to get rid of the shine and blend it in to my car a bit more, like a metallic graphite color. I have some high temp ceramic paint which is supposed to rapidly disperse heat, despite the fact that it is black.. Thoughts on this subject? I just want to neutralize certain things that stand way out on my car.
Old Apr 22, 2006 | 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

f the authorities then...

i like an answer too
Old Apr 22, 2006 | 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

I'd leave it alone. Let the authorities pull you over for something that came on the car and then make them feel stupid for doing so. You can hardly see the intercooler on the 9.
Old Apr 22, 2006 | 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

These may help

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ng+intercooler

or

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ng+intercooler
Old Apr 22, 2006 | 11:57 AM

Thanks for the links. Man that first one was one angry thread LOL. I think they all agreed to disagree. I'm tempted to go with the ceramic or cermet paint with a super thin coating just to hide the shine and blend it to the car better. It is designed to draw heat out and dissipate it faster than any metal I can think of. I guess I can try it for myself. I live in a location that can have some fairly dramatic summer temps.. if I feel a power loss, it's no biggie to pull the IC off and dip it in solution to remove the paint.

I love my EVO and enjoy driving it, but I can still enjoy it without the wing and shiney metal parts. Probably more so without the cop attention it draws right now. I'm not usually one to be huge on external look of a car, so making it a bit more bland to get people off my back doesn't bother me.
Old Apr 22, 2006 | 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Corey
I'd leave it alone. Let the authorities pull you over for something that came on the car and then make them feel stupid for doing so. You can hardly see the intercooler on the 9.
yeah but its more of the hassle part even if it is stock you have to ge thte ticket, go get it signed off, pay a correctional fine etc etc
Old Apr 22, 2006 | 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

theirs a guy from asheville with a black evo with a black greddy front mount, it dont look that bad, i like it
Old Apr 22, 2006 | 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

If you're going to spray the IC, just lightly dust the core preferably with radiator paint, and you can do as much painting as you want to the end tanks.