Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

clean rims

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2006 | 10:53 PM

clean rims

i tried a few different products and i cant seam to find anything that will clean the stock rims without scrubbing . so i was just wondering what outer ppl where using or if anyone had any suggestions
Old May 10, 2006 | 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

Although I have an RA, I used to use Eagle 1, I didnt have to "scrub" as much, i just used a few paper towels folded together, or you could use a basic rag and do a kind of rub down really quick, I Don't think your gonna get anything that you can clean anything with by just spraying it on and washing it off, unless its acid.
Old May 10, 2006 | 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32537

This thread has pretty much beaten the subject to the death.

From my experience, and to save you from having to read through each and every post on the linked thread, it seems as if the two best wheel cleaners are Griot's Garage and the P21S wheel cleaner. You might need to use a small amount of elbow grease to really get the wheels fully clean, but these cleaners by far do the best job and are the safest. Hope this helps!
Old May 10, 2006 | 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

yeah but not everyone can remember to search...
Old May 11, 2006 | 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

When I wash the car I just go over the wheels real quick with the soapy sponge, then hose them off with the rest of the car. After drying the car and all that good stuff, I spray the tires with some tire shine stuff and then use a nice clean rag to wipe down the wheels. Basically just time and patience. I don't use chemical cleaners any more. I clean my wheels more often then I wash the car (I use the California Car Duster between washes) so there is never a lot of dirt built up. I get most of it off with the hose, then like I said, just time and pateince. I go over each wheel until I like the way they look.
Old May 11, 2006 | 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

1) Every time I switch summer wheels and winter wheels, I coat the wheels in Wheel Wax from tire rack. This helps remove stuff later.

2) When I clean the wheels, I use very diluted simple green and cold water, let it sit.

3) As I rinse off, I clean the wheels with my fingers wearing surgical gloves.

Works like a charm. The diluted simple green does not remove the wheel wax. The wheels remain slippery as if waxed.
Old May 11, 2006 | 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 8urv8
When I wash the car I just go over the wheels real quick with the soapy sponge, then hose them off with the rest of the car. After drying the car and all that good stuff, I spray the tires with some tire shine stuff and then use a nice clean rag to wipe down the wheels. Basically just time and patience. I don't use chemical cleaners any more. I clean my wheels more often then I wash the car (I use the California Car Duster between washes) so there is never a lot of dirt built up. I get most of it off with the hose, then like I said, just time and pateince. I go over each wheel until I like the way they look.
Well said!! I also use the Meguiar's Gold Class ultra-safe wheel brush.
Old May 11, 2006 | 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

From: Where you come to vacation and go home on probation! Vegas!
Water in a spray bottle plus a microfiber towel works wonders! Then finish the tires with this "wet" spray they sell at pep boys (its in a purple and black can)
Old May 11, 2006 | 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

i use a high power pressure washer and they towel dry , then tire dressing
Old May 11, 2006 | 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

For a safe cleaner, you can't beat P21S wheel GEL...make sure it's the gel and not the regular liquid. Next, don't use something really abrasive like a scotch birte pad or a sponge/whasmitt that is heavily laden with debris, as it WILL scratch your wheels. If nothing has been caked on too long, they really should clean down with only carwash-soap/water and a soft mitt. Dedicate a different mitt for your wheels so that you wont bring that nasty brake dust on your paint later on. Other good cleaners are Top of the Line Wheel Cleaner and Poorboy's Spray n' Rinse.

If you can't order online or just don't love you baby enough, over the counter, the "best"(and I say this with a grain of salt) is Eagle One A to Z. It'll clean like no other...but it's CAUSTIC AS ALL HELL. I would feel bad using it even monthly on my wheels...seeing as to how it can eat through your clear coat. But, once again, it's cleaning power is virtually unparalled.

My bets advice will be this: DON'T spend time cleaning your wheels with all these chemicals...PROTECT them just like you would your paint!!! Even if you have a s-hitty wax, coat them! Take your wheels off, clean the inside and out, lightly clay them, and ptrotect then with what you can. If you've got some cash, order some Wheel Wax, or my favorite, Poorboy's Wheel Sealant. These will last a good 2 months minimum with proper up keep (washing the car and wheels with only your soap solution). My other favorites are Collinite 845 Insulator Wax, Zaino Z-2 Pro (very time consuming), and Poorboy's EX-P. Do this and you wont regret it..it's on of the most popular things I'm doing for my customers this summer after testing it last year...almost every full detail I do now has my lifting the car and doing wheel by wheel this above process.

I hope this answer's this reposted question once and for all...
Old May 11, 2006 | 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

very simple,use any wheel cleaner when you wash your car,after drying wax your wheels and when they are dirty which is everyday from brake dust just wipe them off with a microfiber towel, works great for me as i wipe the wheels down everyday and it only takes 2 minutes per wheel
Old May 11, 2006 | 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Alberto V05 hair shampoo
it costs a buck at your grocery store, works wonders compared to the clearcoat shampoo i use for the body of my evo.

try it. you will like it alot, no need to scrub except only gentle wiping.
Old May 11, 2006 | 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

^^^^You're insane ^^^^.