Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Quality and safe CF Hood?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2006, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quality and safe CF Hood?

I've been wondering about this for awhile... does anyone have or know or any CF hood from a company which is high quality (fit, finish, style) and has some kind of "crumple zones" or some kind of reinforcement to it in case of any impact on it?

I'm looking for something that looks basically exactly like the stock hood, but in CF. I was very intrigued when I searched and read about the CF hood on the Sparco EVO's CF hood from AAR... but kept searching and saw the "now" pictures of the hood and it looks like garbage... sun damage.. lots of fading... not a nice picture.

I really like the HKS Kansai CF hood (looks exactly like stock and seems to have a nice finish too)... but it's difficult to obtain hard facts about some of the more expensive JDM hoods as everything is in Japanese!

So with all that in mind... anyoen care to chime in?
Old May 12, 2006, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is just an assumption... but if you want crash ratings, "crumple zones", safety information, etc.. on a CF hood for an Evo... you will end up paying thousands for that hood. Think McLaren F1 or Enzo.
Old May 12, 2006, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

lol... well I know the AAR hood which had those safety features, was about $1,800... so I'm assuming someone else must make something like that in that price range
Old May 12, 2006, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

I had a VIS Carbon Fiber hood on my Audi A4 and it took one hell of a hard hit when a drunk driver hit me head on. I was doing 40mph and he was doing about 25-30mph (estimated). No hood pins. It was an OEM fit type which utilized the stock hood latch system. I was amazed how well it held together once i became conscious after being knocked out cold in the crash. lol.

I'm not sure if they make hoods for the Evo. But the Audi hood was great and had a reinforcement skeleton inside the hood to make it stiffer and stronger.

Old May 12, 2006, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

damn
Old May 12, 2006, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NocturnalEVO
damn
heh.. Yeah. It was pretty bad. But at least I survived with a separated knee, concussion, whiplash, and a few minor cuts. It could have been way worse considering how hard the impact was. The Audi was a tank. You should have seen the Jetta that hit me. heh. Of course the drunk bastard didn't get hurt at all... go figure...

I'm scared to death of how bad it would have been in my Evo.
Old May 12, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, I'm really glad to see you got out of that one... thank goodness.

The EVO is pretty safe, I believe the 04's and on have 4/5 rating for impacts on all sides.
Old May 13, 2006, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

anyone? vendors?
Old May 13, 2006, 04:27 PM

I have a seibon oem hood and it looked great when I first got it and also fit like stock. But if you have your car under the sun a lot like I do, it will fade pretty quickly. I would suggest putting a few more coats of clear coat before even putting it on. Any paint shop can do it.
Old May 13, 2006, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by outsider
Wow, I'm really glad to see you got out of that one... thank goodness.

The EVO is pretty safe, I believe the 04's and on have 4/5 rating for impacts on all sides.
where do you see 4/5 for the sides? all I see are 2/5s for side impacts....
Old May 13, 2006, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

2/5 is correct
Old May 13, 2006, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Also Dont forget Put Wax on Carbon fiber after u wash car..
Old May 15, 2006, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by showoff
I have a seibon oem hood and it looked great when I first got it and also fit like stock. But if you have your car under the sun a lot like I do, it will fade pretty quickly. I would suggest putting a few more coats of clear coat before even putting it on. Any paint shop can do it.
that stinks!
Old May 15, 2006, 12:50 PM
Account Disabled

honestly, carbon fiber is made of fiber glass with 1-2 layer of carbon fiber. Metal hood is still sttrronger than carbon fiber hood.
All carbon fiber hood its all the same quality, same material but different finish, if you want to be safe with carbon hood, get hood pins

But still metal hood still safer than carbon fiber, let me know or pm me if u have more question we sell both generic brand, vis and seibon hood.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo-mr
honestly, carbon fiber is made of fiber glass with 1-2 layer of carbon fiber. Metal hood is still sttrronger than carbon fiber hood.
All carbon fiber hood its all the same quality, same material but different finish, if you want to be safe with carbon hood, get hood pins

But still metal hood still safer than carbon fiber, let me know or pm me if u have more question we sell both generic brand, vis and seibon hood.
I gotcha... I would just like to buy something like the AAR hood which had those safety zones in there... too bad their hood now looks so sun damaged.

I wonder if anyone makes something like what im looking for?