Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Added a second set of component speakers to my Evo. :) Couple pics.

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2006, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Added a second set of component speakers to my Evo. :) Couple pics.

Last week I installed a pair of Boston Acoustics SL60 6 1/2" components to the front of my Evo IX and today I spent a couple hours removing the last of the SSL sound system to install my second amplifier, a SoundStream Reference 1000s and a second pair of Boston Acoustics SL60's in the rear deck.

With just the fronts in and my Boston pro series 12's, the sound quality was simply amazing. And now with these badboys in the rear deck.... the sound quality just cannot be described with words. Each tweeter/woofer combo in each corner of the car is getting 125 watts RMS for a grand total of 500w RMS for just the component speakers. The subs are now getting 1000 watts RMS. Many people would think its overkill.... but its not. The sound quality at ANY volume level is simply breathtaking.

The one last thing i need to do now is remove that thin piece of particle board from my trunk floor and replace it with some thin HDF or some other strong yet not too heavy material so I can bolt down the sub box better because it has a tendancy to slide with my current restraints on it.

Anyways... here are a few shots.

Old May 24, 2006, 11:20 PM

looks nice! I always wanted to upgrade my speakers but i always seem to be going with performance mods when i have the extra cash.
Old May 24, 2006, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah. Now that the sound system is pretty much done, i'm going to start building the engine. I'm a music nut and the stock SSL system was just horrible. I go nuts in LA traffic without good music.
Old May 24, 2006, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

looking good. i also need to come up with a solution for getting my sub box to stay in place!
Old May 24, 2006, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

I'm going to find out what it will cost from the dealer for a non SSL trunk carpet piece and use that to make a new floor in the trunk. The stock carpert in my SSL package is missing a section on the right side where the factory subwoofer was located, plus the thin piece of fiberboard slides around and the carpet bunches up. I can cut a piece of 1/4" HDF or MDF to fit the trunk floor and then stick the carpeting down to it using a spray adhesive. Then bolt some brackets to it which can be used to hold the box in place and also for adding a small cargo net which i have in my garage from my old Audi that i used to own.
Old May 25, 2006, 02:26 AM
Evolved Member

Nice!
Old May 25, 2006, 03:46 AM
Evolving Member

i miss having bass in my car, i wanna hook up my 2 12" alpine type r's but the box is so heavy so i just left it out... i'll just wait till i get another ride or maybe an suv when i get older and then i'll put it in there... but yea, nice set up, keep up the good work
Old May 27, 2006, 02:47 AM
Evolved Member

My box isn't really that heavy. I can ghetto-style weigh it while standing on a bathroom scale and then subtract my own weight. heh.

And to be honest, since the EVO is far from 50/50 weight distribution, i'd think the added weight would help keep the rear end planted on a road course. These cars aren't dragsters..... so i'm not incredibly concerned about gutting my car of as much weight as i can.

Also, my box can be quickly removed for the track as needed. So all in all, i'm happy.

I've been tweaking the system the past two days and its really starting to come together. The sound quality and imaging is simply amazing.
Old May 27, 2006, 03:50 AM
Evolved Member

I've resisted putting in any kind of sound system because I figured road noise would kill everything but the highs which would bounce off the glass all smeary anyway.

What's good stuff for sound deadening these days? Good old dynamat? Noizekiller blue?
Old May 27, 2006, 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

Nice. I wanna put my bass back in my car, but I don't wanna rip up any plastic panels to do it. Those damned clips always break.
Old May 27, 2006, 04:26 AM
Evolving Member

looking good. i also need to come up with a solution for getting my sub box to stay in place!
+1. I have a box w/ 2 10" JBLs and it slides around on the carpet depending on how I drive. I was going to get some small brackets and try and find a decent mounting place. Right now I can also take my out when I need the space or for the track. Just make up for the added weight with more power.

Since my MR is my daily driver my first mod was a $2500 system w/ Sirius.

Then of course then you need to get the stage 1, and now I'm getting cams
Old May 27, 2006, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

Looks (and prob sounds) great! Did you run into any major probs when installing the components with the SSL system? I'm planning on doing the same
Old May 27, 2006, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
That looks really nice but you know what I was wondering.............is there a way where I can take the rear cup holder/arm rest out and put a little sub there and cover it with a glass?
Old May 27, 2006, 06:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks good, but I would of left out the rear tweets. I won't go too much into car audio theory, but having just the fronts would get you clearer, better highs. just my $0.02
Old May 27, 2006, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

any subs in the trunk?

Quick Reply: Added a second set of component speakers to my Evo. :) Couple pics.