Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Clarion Parking Brake Bypass

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2006, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clarion Parking Brake Bypass

I have the new clarion flip out moniter that has the touch screen with the ipod integrated and I cant figure out a way to bypass the parking brake so that I can watch videos while the car is driving....With my old jensen flip out screen all I had to do was ground the parking brake wire from the deck but with this one that doesnt work......Anyone have any ideas ???
Old Jun 19, 2006, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

if you put the green wire to a constant ground it will not work because when you turn the radio on it is alreayd sensing a ground. It needs to go in this order: TURN RADIO ON--->THEN GROUND THE GREEN WIRE----> THEN WATCH VIDEOS. this is so the head unit thinks that you are "putting the brake on" after you turn the deck on. Built a relay so that it will give the green wire a gorund after the headunit is turned on. Or put a switch for it.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Just install a separate switch which "acts" like the parking brake. That's how I got mine to play.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Ah the new tricks my older model just needs a ground. But a switch should work. although you will find out that watching video is not only illegal while driving but damn distracting. Good luck and be safe.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokeyonline
Just install a separate switch which "acts" like the parking brake. That's how I got mine to play.

Thats what I did I put my switch in the little cubby hole to the left of the stearing wheel
Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

I installed one in a civic and could never figure it out, but I took it out and installed it in the evo and dont remember messing with it, Ill check tonight to see how I have it hooked up. Video all the time, no extra switches. Ill try and post up.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

Can anyone give me a diagram on how to do this because as soon as I connect the parking brake wire from the deck to a ground the screen will play without the parking brake but if I leave that connected and turn the car off and back on the screen will say audio only so I then just disconnect the ground and parking brake wire and put them back together and it works fine. The thing I need to do is somehow put a switch so that when I put it on it makes the deck think that I just attached it to the ground but I cant figure out a way on how to wire this up can someone please give me an idea or a diagram will be a big help.....
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

easy...take a wire hook it to any metal on your chassis...connect the other side to a switch. Now on the other side of the switch hook it to the green wire(noramally hooked to your parking brake) cake!
Old Jun 29, 2006, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

So all i need is a 2 prong switch ? Because the one I was using had 3 prongs a ground, a power and then an accessory....
Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

just get a very basic switch [on/off] one side will go to ground, you can use the black wire behind the radio, the other side of the switch will go to the parking brake wire. after you turn the unit on just flip the switch.

Note: All new pioneer in dash monitors are the same way. If anyone else has any questions about bypassing monitors just ask. I will say that it is highly illegal in all states and you do so at your own risk.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

looks like I double posted, why cant we delete our own posts...sheesh

caelin~

Last edited by locam; Jun 29, 2006 at 10:37 AM. Reason: double post
Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RyanEvo2006
So all i need is a 2 prong switch ? Because the one I was using had 3 prongs a ground, a power and then an accessory....
The third prong (power) is probably just to power the light within the switch. The only basic switches I have run across that have three prongs always have an internal light. Two prongs = no light

You can use the three prong switch and just leave the power disconnected...or you can connect it so the switch lights up when closed.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

I wonder...for a DUAL Flip out...can I just ground the parking brake wire? Thinking of installing this unit...just not sure if I'm going this way with my setup...any help with the parking brake bypass would be helpful, tia.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Nope the clarion just buy the box off ebay... Only way around it... we tried everything... even the installers.