Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Flat Paint!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2006, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The paint is beautiful, wonder what the prices are like
Old Jul 22, 2006, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

OK guys I think i can answer most of your questions since i am a painter and have been painting for a very long time. The Carizzma paint from BASF(or R&M) is nothing new to painting. Its usually called Matte finishes and its about the same price as any paint job. How chip resistant is it?? The same as any normal clear coated car, see in the process you lay down your color (your base) and instead of using a gloss clear coat you use a matte clear coat to get that matte finish. Now all clear coats have UV protection in it and also a few mils of protection from scratches yadda yadda. How smooth is it??? The same as a normal glossy car. Will bugs stick to it??? No more then your normal finish on your car. Back in the old days people did use primers to get this look but in the last 15 or 20 years urethanes have really taken refinishing to a new level and paint manufactures are always coming out with new paint lines that are improved. BASF is a good one, but I think SIkkens or Spies-Hecker is a lil better. You could use a colored primer if you wanted to get this look (sikkens has mixable primers to mix it any color you want within reason) but i would suggest just going with a base coat and then a matte clear. If you all have any questions feel free to PM me and i will help out in any way i can. and i am ICAR cert painter as well.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:56 AM

^^^
Hey painting buddy. Im also an Icar cert painter. I also agree with you on Sikkens being better than BASF, as Sikkens is all I shoot now.

Here is my $.02 on the whole flat color deal.... I am a huge fan of the way it looks. The only problem with flat clear and colors is that it scuffs easy. With a glossy clearcoat its no problem if your finish has a scuff or scratch on it, you can just easily buff them out, but with a flat clear there really isnt any way to ''buff'' out the scuff. So you must be super careful with it for the first 90 days or so until it is fully cured.

As ziggy was saying, you can really have any color sprayed on and then have covered with a flat clear. So apex silver is no problem.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 01:40 AM
Evolved Member

nice
Old Jul 23, 2006, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

intresting. i like it
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsxeclipsed
Hey guys i was reading a newer issue of Super Street and saw a Subaru that caught my eye not only because it had stolen some of our beloved vortex generators but the paint was something a bit different. It is a new creation from BASF its called Carizzma. The paint is almost maintaince free and i think it looks pretty sharp and you can get almost any color you would like. It also rarely scratches and there is no need to wax just wash and go!

I was just wanting to inform you guys and see if anyone had any other input or saw the car.

Thanks, Ben
invisible.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IceXpert
any cars with the black paint? did a quick search, could not find any pics. that red suby looks hot!
Bump for black
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:47 AM

That red sub is gorgeous. I'm a huge fan of flat paints.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Fondriest sold a steel frame a few years ago that had a black matte paint-job. It felt almost rubberized and resisted scratching really well. I wonder if it was a Carizzma paint.

Anyhow, a tough, low-maintenance paint makes sense to me.