Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

My Review of the ORBITAL Prestige Double-Din Kit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2006 | 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

My Review of the ORBITAL Prestige Double-Din Kit

Hey all,

I received my Orbital Prestige double-din kit last Friday from Rich, and just wanted to show it off hehe. I really gotta give it to Rich, he did an impeccable job on this kit. Mitsu couldn't have done a better job themselves (because if they could, they would have lol).

So I started putting mines in at around 11-12am friday night, trying to get ready for the show this past weekend lol. Installation took me a few hours to do, only because Gerard and Lyn stopped by for a while, then I got hungry, then I almost dozed off, and partly because I couldn't see much at night lol (flashlight was dying).

The installation is pretty straight forward, if I was to do it again without any of the distractions, I would say it would take about 45mins to an hour to do completely.

I was originally a bit skeptical of the new hood formation that Rich incorporated into the design of the center panel, but once I saw it installed, I wouldn't have it any other way. It looks TOTALLY factory. No one would ever guess it was aftermarket. I personally chose to go w/the black grain finish, as opposed to the metallic finish only because I thought having 3 different colors might be too much (carbon fiber[dash panel], black grain dash, and metallic silver center panel) for my liking. So i'm very happy w/how it turned out.

The fitment of all the parts is EXCELLENT. I give it a complete 10/10. The first thing my little brother (who helped me w/the install) said to me when he saw the fitment was "wow, this guy really did a great job on this, you would think Mitsu made it."

I know this project has been a long time coming, but the wait was definatley worth it in my opinion. Now to save up for an Avic Z1 hehe.

As for pics, I only have one at the moment from this weekends' car show. I will post more pics up tomorrow once I get a chance to take some.

Please note that I did NOT finish the install, I will be installing my factory MR gauges in the lower din opening, once I find them lol.

And yes I know my defi control unit is hanging, the double sided tape wasn't all that sticky anymore hehe..

Thanks a lot for the awesome product Rich! A job well done
Old Jul 31, 2006 | 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

looking good
Old Jul 31, 2006 | 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

I would love to have one with a nice navi set up. It would help the interior soooooooo much.
Old Jul 31, 2006 | 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Yea I can't wait to get mines, gotta save up for it lol..

Old Jul 31, 2006 | 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

What is the point of getting a double din panel and not using a double din screen\nav display?? You already have defi gauges why put the mitsu stock ones back in?? Just wondering not hating on ya.
Old Jul 31, 2006 | 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

I hear ya.

THe reason is to fill up that lower opening till I save up enough money for a double din navi unit

Rather have it filled up with SOMETHING, as opposed to having a gaping hole hehe..
Old Jul 31, 2006 | 08:54 PM
Former Sponsor

damn.. you have a one helluva interior! full of electronic gadgets! lol NICE!!
Old Jul 31, 2006 | 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

I think he is just saving up...a decent nav unit is around 2-3 grand.

Personally I would look at the new Eclipse units. They are top notch and don't require map discs because they have built in hard drives.
Old Jul 31, 2006 | 09:02 PM

I believe the one you are talking about is the AVN-7000.... Wait thats the single din.... Pioneer D1 is double din I believe and it sucks... I'd stick single din and go with the Eclipse AVN-7000
Old Jul 31, 2006 | 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

thats cleaaaaan. BTW nice camera.
Old Jul 31, 2006 | 09:14 PM
wj4
Evolving Member

lol whats the psp for?
Old Jul 31, 2006 | 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Speed Element
damn.. you have a one helluva interior! full of electronic gadgets! lol NICE!!

Hehe thanks, here's some more shots

...and yes I know the harness aren't installed correctly in the rear, just haven't gotten a chance to fix 'em yet.. sometime this week I will.
Old Jul 31, 2006 | 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wj4
lol whats the psp for?
multimedia
Old Jul 31, 2006 | 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by SilverStreaker
I believe the one you are talking about is the AVN-7000.... Wait thats the single din.... Pioneer D1 is double din I believe and it sucks... I'd stick single din and go with the Eclipse AVN-7000
theres also the eclipse avn5495 which ill post pictures of when my kit gets here. thats their double-din hard drive based navi. also has 30gb hard drive, 20 of which can be used for music. (uses the same gracenote software as the avic-z1)
Old Jul 31, 2006 | 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

stunning....ur car just keeps getting better and better and better. stop already ur making everyone else's evo's look like $hit!!! j/p mang, keep up the good work.

Quick Reply: My Review of the ORBITAL Prestige Double-Din Kit