Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Ralliart Evo IX Front lip box dimensions?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2006, 04:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Success!!! Cheapest way to buy Ralliart Evo IX Front Lip

Hello --

For those of you who bought the Ralliart Evo IX Front Lip and still have the original shipping box.....

Can you do me a favor and measure the dimensions of the box (Length, Width, height)? I'm thinking about picking one up when I'm in Japan, and want to make sure I can bring it back on the airplane with me.

Thanks!!!
RedAustinIX

Last edited by RedAustinIX; Sep 8, 2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as in...carry-on? cuz i HIGHLY doubt that you could carry-on such a large box.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 05:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
73x26x5
Old Aug 8, 2006, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

let me know how it turns out, i'm curious as well. I'd like to bring somethin back from japan too.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 05:40 PM
UCB
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Speed Element
73x26x5

huge

BUt you should be able to take it, ive seen guys with surfboards
Old Aug 8, 2006, 06:55 PM

Speed Element --

Thanks! That will actually work. American Airlines will accept checked baggage up to 115 inches (length + width + height) for an additional $100 charge. I have a $50 credit voucher laying around somewhere, so I can probably make this work.

Sxhawnn --

I'll post details if I actually do this. The other thing I'll need to do is pre-order so it's at my hotel when I arrive. According to the local dealer, it takes a week or so for the Ralliart parts to be shipped within Japan.

Thanks again Speed Element!!
RedAustinIX
Old Aug 8, 2006, 06:58 PM
Former Sponsor

no problem! good luck and have fun in japan!
Old Aug 8, 2006, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

how much cheaper is the lip in japan
Old Aug 8, 2006, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

not that much cheaper after shipping.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 01:16 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome stuff... Just going to visit? or business?
Old Aug 9, 2006, 01:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by llxzxll
as in...carry-on? cuz i HIGHLY doubt that you could carry-on such a large box.
Come on now you think he meant carry on

Anyways, I had a similar situation redaustinIX. I was visiting the Bay Area from Alaska, and picked up a ralliart lip. Shipping would have sucked so I picked it up locally at Gruppe-s. Even though I had to pay the CA tax, I still would have saved on shipping.

Anyways, on my way to the airport, I already pulled 60 bucks from the ATM to pay for the big box; either the trainee didn't charge me cause she forgot; but I doubt it cause she was being trained by someone, they didn't charge me the 60 bucks for the box. Plus, I tried to keep it off that subject.

Cliff notes: I hope you don't have to pay the extra charge to bring the big box back .

Last edited by dakind916; Aug 9, 2006 at 01:37 AM.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 02:20 PM

Success!!!! Cheapest way to buy Ralliart Evo IX front lip

Ok, I just returned from Japan. I was able to get the Ralliart front lip to my house for a total of $613 ($US). Here are the details (and the possible "upsets" that I could have encountered along the way...):

1) Called a local Ralliart Mitsubishi dealer in Shinjuku prefecture close to my hotel in Japan. Made arrangements for them to order the front lip and have it available by the time I arrived in Japan. They quoted a lead time of approximately 7 days.
2) When I arrived in Japan, I called the dealer to ensure they had received the lip (they had), and I walked over to the dealership. (The hotel concierge showed me where it was on a map).
3) I paid for the lip with my Mastercard, and walked out with the box. Although large, the box was pretty light and it was only a short walk back to my hotel.
4) I checked again with the concierge to make sure that the airport/hotel shuttle bus could accommodate the length/size of the box. After a quick call to the bus agency: no problem.
5) 1st potential "upset": Upon arrival at the airport luggage counter, I was prepared that it may cost $100 for an oversized luggage charge. Fortunately, they never asked. Note that I was flying business class, and there is usually a bit more leeway regarding luggage. As a result of my good luck, extra luggage charge = $0
6) Upon arrival at US Customs, they had several questions about the box. Since there's nothing wrong with a carbon fibre lip, I told the truth and breezed through.
7) 2nd potential "upset": make sure that you don't exceed $800 in purchases during your trip. You need to declare your purchases at U.S. Customs, and because this is a suspicious-looking box you don't want to lie. This means that you can only spend about $180 on other souveniers, or else you'll pay customs duty on the amount >$800. I was careful during my trip, so total amount declared was $790 (and therefore didn't need to be declared).
8) Note that the $800 is per person, so if you're traveling as a family of 3, your maximum value increases by $1600 to $2400
9) Arrival home. The oversized box came through the "oversized" luggage area. I loaded it into my wife's SUV and brought it home.

Total cost: $613

Arrived safe and sound, no problems

I have a Ralliart catalogue if anyone needs prices on other Ralliart JDM parts. There's only good pricing on items that don't have U.S. versions. For example, HKS, Greddy you're better off buying in the U.S. However, direct JDM imports are cheaper if you carry because you don't have to pay a "handling charge", shipping, or duty.

Thanks again to Speed Element for the box dimensions, without which I wouldn't have tried this.

RedAustinIX
Old Sep 10, 2006, 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

i would like to see that catalogue....can you scan it and e-mail it to me?
Old Sep 10, 2006, 02:09 AM

I'm getting ready to head out of town again for a couple weeks. I'll try to scan it and post it in a new topic when I return.

RedAustinIX
Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RedAustinIX
Ok, I just returned from Japan. I was able to get the Ralliart front lip to my house for a total of $613 ($US). Here are the details (and the possible "upsets" that I could have encountered along the way...):

1) Called a local Ralliart Mitsubishi dealer in Shinjuku prefecture close to my hotel in Japan. Made arrangements for them to order the front lip and have it available by the time I arrived in Japan. They quoted a lead time of approximately 7 days.
2) When I arrived in Japan, I called the dealer to ensure they had received the lip (they had), and I walked over to the dealership. (The hotel concierge showed me where it was on a map).
3) I paid for the lip with my Mastercard, and walked out with the box. Although large, the box was pretty light and it was only a short walk back to my hotel.
4) I checked again with the concierge to make sure that the airport/hotel shuttle bus could accommodate the length/size of the box. After a quick call to the bus agency: no problem.
5) 1st potential "upset": Upon arrival at the airport luggage counter, I was prepared that it may cost $100 for an oversized luggage charge. Fortunately, they never asked. Note that I was flying business class, and there is usually a bit more leeway regarding luggage. As a result of my good luck, extra luggage charge = $0
6) Upon arrival at US Customs, they had several questions about the box. Since there's nothing wrong with a carbon fibre lip, I told the truth and breezed through.
7) 2nd potential "upset": make sure that you don't exceed $800 in purchases during your trip. You need to declare your purchases at U.S. Customs, and because this is a suspicious-looking box you don't want to lie. This means that you can only spend about $180 on other souveniers, or else you'll pay customs duty on the amount >$800. I was careful during my trip, so total amount declared was $790 (and therefore didn't need to be declared).
8) Note that the $800 is per person, so if you're traveling as a family of 3, your maximum value increases by $1600 to $2400
9) Arrival home. The oversized box came through the "oversized" luggage area. I loaded it into my wife's SUV and brought it home.

Total cost: $613

Arrived safe and sound, no problems

I have a Ralliart catalogue if anyone needs prices on other Ralliart JDM parts. There's only good pricing on items that don't have U.S. versions. For example, HKS, Greddy you're better off buying in the U.S. However, direct JDM imports are cheaper if you carry because you don't have to pay a "handling charge", shipping, or duty.

Thanks again to Speed Element for the box dimensions, without which I wouldn't have tried this.

RedAustinIX

No problem! glad i could help out.. did you enjoy your stay in Japan?

Quick Reply: Ralliart Evo IX Front lip box dimensions?