Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Harness Help Please

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M3This, the rules recently changed to allow 2" lapbelts... I have the documentation here:

http://www.scca.com/_Filelibrary/Fil...ulechanges.pdf

Check out item 5, 2" lap belts are approved for 6-pt systems as long as they are FIA certified (The Profi II is FIA certified).

I also would STRONGLY urge you to invest in a HANS device. They are expensive but can basically save your neck and mobility in the event of a crash, I wouldn't race without one after seeing a guy walk away from a 140mph crash in to a wall up at Mosport in an S2000 (which was completely wadded up). That plus the cage and harness saved his life.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Where you come to vacation and go home on probation! Vegas!
Another question .... I was talking to the guy at HMS and he said unless the seats have the cut out for them not to use a 6 or 5 point harness system. I was looking at the Bride GIAS as the car is daily driven as well and those dont have the cuts out for the 5/6 point harnesses eaither that I can tell from the photos ... am I wrong about this? Do I have to get a Hardcore bucket seat?
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tsurara
M3This, the rules recently changed to allow 2" lapbelts... I have the documentation here:

http://www.scca.com/_Filelibrary/Fil...ulechanges.pdf

Check out item 5, 2" lap belts are approved for 6-pt systems as long as they are FIA certified (The Profi II is FIA certified).

I also would STRONGLY urge you to invest in a HANS device. They are expensive but can basically save your neck and mobility in the event of a crash, I wouldn't race without one after seeing a guy walk away from a 140mph crash in to a wall up at Mosport in an S2000 (which was completely wadded up). That plus the cage and harness saved his life.
Hans device is on my list of things to get ...
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by M3this
Another question .... I was talking to the guy at HMS and he said unless the seats have the cut out for them not to use a 6 or 5 point harness system. I was looking at the Bride GIAS as the car is daily driven as well and those dont have the cuts out for the 5/6 point harnesses eaither that I can tell from the photos ... am I wrong about this? Do I have to get a Hardcore bucket seat?
He is absolutely right. A seat without a substrap hole is in no way safe for a 5/6 point system. It pushes the subbelt forward and won't allow it to work properly. You run the risk of submarining by using the belts in this way. You DO NOT want to submarine, it is NOT pretty at all.

I would reccomend against getting the Bride GIAS seat. You want a non-reclinable bucket seat with a sub strap hole for a 6 point system. I have the Bride ZETA III and love it, however it is for smaller drivers (Hope you are thin). If you really want a Bride, get the ZETA III, with a reclinable bucket seat you run the risk of it snapping at the seam where it reclines... and well I am sure you can imagine what happens next. Plus it doesnt have a substrap hole anyways so it's worthless

If the ZETA is too small, check out the Recaro Pole Position.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tsurara
He is absolutely right. A seat without a substrap hole is in no way safe for a 5/6 point system. It pushes the subbelt forward and won't allow it to work properly. You run the risk of submarining by using the belts in this way. You DO NOT want to submarine, it is NOT pretty at all.

I would reccomend against getting the Bride GIAS seat. You want a non-reclinable bucket seat with a sub strap hole for a 6 point system. I have the Bride ZETA III and love it, however it is for smaller drivers (Hope you are thin). If you really want a Bride, get the ZETA III, with a reclinable bucket seat you run the risk of it snapping at the seam where it reclines... and well I am sure you can imagine what happens next. Plus it doesnt have a substrap hole anyways so it's worthless

If the ZETA is too small, check out the Recaro Pole Position.
Im real thin but tall (6'2"), I had a set of Sparcos in the past but they wher too wide for me so thats why I was looking at the Brides to begin with. Do you think the Zeta III bucket is too much for daily driving ?
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by M3this
Im real thin but tall (6'2"), I had a set of Sparcos in the past but they wher too wide for me so thats why I was looking at the Brides to begin with. Do you think the Zeta III bucket is too much for daily driving ?
I daily drive mine and don't mind it, but your mileage might vary. They are fairly comfortable. Look in to the Zeta III Type L for your size.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:37 PM
Account Disabled

I like sabelt's 5pt but i guess im a little biased
Old Aug 9, 2006, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
simpson.

what better known name in racing than simpson.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...6&postcount=20
Old Aug 9, 2006, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

^^ I like Simpson harnesses also. We have them in our old '69 911 and they're excellent, easy to adjust and operate. We used them to replace the nice but worn out Willans we had. Willans are nice, but $$$. Plus, with the Simpsons, I bought direct from the company and was able to piece togather exactly what we needed. Make sure you mount the harness as directed, that's the key to keeping you safe. You've recieved a lot of good info about seats here too.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoCS
^^ I like Simpson harnesses also. We have them in our old '69 911 and they're excellent, easy to adjust and operate. We used them to replace the nice but worn out Willans we had. Willans are nice, but $$$. Plus, with the Simpsons, I bought direct from the company and was able to piece togather exactly what we needed. Make sure you mount the harness as directed, that's the key to keeping you safe. You've recieved a lot of good info about seats here too.
yeah, after using smaller ones, 3" is the way to go, regardless of rules.

With you strapped into these, and the seats, you're STUCK, no questions asked. Anybody that's ridden with me on track can attest to that
Old Mar 7, 2007, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EMR8
I like sabelt's 5pt but i guess im a little biased
You got the right idea, but how can you stand driving around knowing that your interior dont match????? that would kill me only having (1) seat and (1) harness...

To me thats like them honda dudes rolling round with 15" steels in front and 18" chromes in the back
Old Mar 7, 2007, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

how about these seats? They ask you when purchasing for an extra $58 to put a hole in the bottom of the seat for the 5 PT harness... does that make it ok if you are hypothetically running the proper harness bar (roll bar, or whatever)...

Would the qualify as okay?

http://www.racing-seats-usa.com/60091.html
Old Mar 7, 2007, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Peteypab2133
You got the right idea, but how can you stand driving around knowing that your interior dont match????? that would kill me only having (1) seat and (1) harness...

To me thats like them honda dudes rolling round with 15" steels in front and 18" chromes in the back
if you tracked your car alot and still managed to daily drive it with passengers you would know why its done
Old Mar 12, 2007, 09:39 PM

shoot me now I just put a weapon R 4 point in my front drivers seat....works good except my factory seatbelt=disabled
Old Mar 13, 2007, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a good and properly fitted fixed back bucket can be as comfortable or even more comortable as the stock recaros. get a harness with a camlock, they are nice and convenient. whatever the cheapest certified camlock hanress is is what I would get.

Quick Reply: Harness Help Please