Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Possible JDM IX crash bar fab

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by t51quicksilver
My appologizies if someone already in the other thousand threads about the JDM bumper but without the rear crash bar and foam support how well does the bumper sit on the car? is there any noticeable sagging or does it move easily when touched or when washing. The reason I ask is because I plan on buying one as soon as I find a vendor other then GruppeS and would hate to get it and have problems with it.

Thanks for any info in advance!

Joe
You end up reusing the same bumper retainer that comes with your usdm bumper, and it uses the same exact mounting points. Sturdiness is identical to the factory usdm rear bumper after the installation. No worries with that.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

yea but if i ever want to put my USDM one then, i still gotta find one....so can i buy it from Mitsu?
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

for the people who know how to weld, its an EASY job. plasma cut a little bit on the sides and simply tig weld it back (the welds will actually make the rear crash beam even stronger ) . thankfully i know how to weld and cant wait to do this after i purchase one. but yeah good luck with ur shop to fab one up. imho its still a pain to do it yourself cuz u hafta spend time on it. makes it very convenient.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

so if i show my welder, its as easy as that? well i still need to find an extra one, so if i ever want to go back to the USDM.....where can i buy another bumper support?
Old Sep 12, 2006, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't see any harm in using the modified beam with the usdm rear if you needed to. It would be shortened and would still clear the stock bumper. It would probably more important to order an extra bumper retainer. If the jdm rear is mangled in an accident and the retainer is ruined … you'll have to get a new retainer to use with the stock bumper, anyway. Have you read through jbigelow's how-to? It may clear up some unanswered questions …

Click for How-To
Old Sep 12, 2006, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

thanks WhatNoise
Old Sep 12, 2006, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Not a problem at all. I figured the how-to explains the entire swap and provides pics as a visual for assistance.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 05:34 PM

Just an update for this, I called the body shop and they should have everything ready to go to get started on my car by monday at the latest ( they're great, so they're always busy) so they think it should only take 3-4 days at most, so I should have some information for everyone this next week on the modded crash beam.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:11 AM

I appologize for it being the middle of the week before I got new info, but here are some quick shots of my camera from the progress:
3/4 view

rear view

top view(sorry, shadow)

And here are the brackets removed:

This is completely bolt on and removable, and will resist impact just like stock ( and a guarantee this fits like stock, pictures will come soon of my install.) Now I don't know how many of you have the stock crash bar still, but I got a basic price of around 350 or so including a new crash beam(Not sure of price if you send yours in to be modified.). I will ask more about it when my car is done.

PM me if interested so I know how many to initially plan to make( this may with the price).
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Damn I can't see the pics here at work.!!!

I would be interested...as soon as I can see it and get more info about. Thanks for putting this all together.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

well i already got rid of my original crash beam so if they fabricate a whole new one i would definatley buy it but i doubt my shop kept my old crash beam just lying about in case this opportunity came up
Old Sep 20, 2006, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

let me know of the price if i use my own crash beam....
Old Sep 20, 2006, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

4th day is tommorow get in there and take pix before they put it all back together!!!!or are those the pix with the modified one already?!?!?!?

Last edited by EVOIXMR8916; Sep 20, 2006 at 08:27 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by EVOIXMR8916
4th day is tommorow get in there and take pix before they put it all back together!!!!or are those the pix with the modified one already?!?!?!?
That's the modified one ( I have a picture of the brackets they removed to make it fit.)
Old Sep 27, 2006, 01:47 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure about any updates to this other than the fact that it's done. My brother has been sick as hell so I don't think he's been online much lately.

To anyone curious it came out looking AWESOME!! They ended up painting the diffuser part satin black instead of gloss black because Matt (my brother) forgot to tell them gloss. It looks WAY better in the satin.

The fitment is great, so whatever they did to the crash beam worked wonders. If anyone is interested in final pics, I will see about getting updated pics tomorrow and loading them up. Just have to find the AC cord for my digital camera.

If anyone is interested in a set price I will talk to him tomorrow to see if we can get the ball rolling. If people want to PM either him or me, we can probably work on this in a more personal manner so that it's convenient for everyone. The more people interested, the better the chance of getting the price cheaper and easier for everyone to purchase.

Quick Reply: Possible JDM IX crash bar fab