Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Possible JDM IX crash bar fab

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2006, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK fellas, Sorry I've been away being horribly sick. This is how it's looking. Buying a new support from them and getting it moddified is not the right way to go. The man I always deal with gave me an estimate on the total price thinking the support was going to be a certain price ( relatively cheap) he didn't realize the crash bar costs 330.70 cents for just them to buy it. So the best thing is for everyone to have their own sent in, or go to a junk yard, cause I've been told regular lancers use the same rear crash beam. the process is going to be about 260 dollars. Now I'm trying to get him to include shipping with that and try to get it a little lower, we'll see how it goes. Everyone just keep letting me know those who are still interested so we can go from there.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Still interested.
Keep us posted.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

I'm interested. The rear crash beam is about 20lbs to ship. So I'm guessing everyone will have to cover the costs of shipping to NC and back + bodyshop costs.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

regardless if it was the original one and made to fit the jdm, if you ever get in a rear end mishap, the insurance company will see that it was altered and deni the claim. might as well not even have it in there. I am just going to use the apr rear diffuser and have the original rear bracket in place. What I am told the apr is actually functional and the jdm 9 is more cosmetic. just my two cents
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by savageevo
regardless if it was the original one and made to fit the jdm, if you ever get in a rear end mishap, the insurance company will see that it was altered and deni the claim. might as well not even have it in there. I am just going to use the apr rear diffuser and have the original rear bracket in place. What I am told the apr is actually functional and the jdm 9 is more cosmetic. just my two cents
You know the insurance will deny the claim based on what experience?? I don't see that altering the crash beam, the right way mind you, will absolutely reduce the integrity of the crash beam.

I can understand where you are coming from, but I don't think that an insurance company is going to automatically know that the beam was altered. And unless they can prove that said beam and it's faulty structure caused the damage to be more severe, they are obligated to cover you.

Their are MANY manufacturer defects that can make an accident potentially more destructive but that doesn't stop people from buying cars. Accidents happen everyday because of defects in cars. So I don't think this little alteration, which more than likely will not have adverse effects on the bar, will be a big deal in the case of an accident.

That's just my $0.02
Old Sep 29, 2006, 01:00 AM
Evolved Member

I think so far we're getting close to the amount of people that will be needed to get the ball rolling.

Probably around 15 people initially will help us lock in a price.

Also, as a sign of good faith, I will pay to overnight the completed bar to the first person who signs up. So that will be a little less time to wait, and will also expedite the results of the fabbed crash bar.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

If those pictures are the finished beam then the insurance co. will never even know.....They dont have a clue what the crash bar is supposed to look like? They will just look to see if it is there, other than that they will be cluless. A modified crashbar is better than no crash bar any day of the week......

By the looks of it I doubt its that hard to do? If people werent interested in making money this would make a nice "at your own risk" DIY write-up.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

This looks promising. Maybe we can get one fabbed for the front too.

I don't think sending in our own beam is a very good way of doing it. The beam is large and rather heavy - it would be really, really, really expensive to ship through any normal means. Ideally if they can fab it from scratch and go from there, it'd a lot better.

Also with the pics its hard to see the depth of the crash bar. I wonder if at a certain point of thickness it becomes useless. Is it still an I-beam design underneath? I remember trying to mod my beam but in the end it was just impossible to do.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Here's some pics of the finished bumper on the car, next to my car. Sorry if the pics aren't too great. Just got the Nikon D50 and figuring out how to use it!!

Old Oct 11, 2006, 04:34 AM

I'm sory I haven't had the information for anyone till now, but this is the place that is did the work:
Autoworks
600 richlands hwy
jacksonville, NC 28540-3655
phone#- (910)347-3077
If you want to give them a call and let them know you're interested in the rear crash bar fab, and they'll work with you on getting it shipped and payment ( which I believe is around $250.)
To those interested in doing it themselves, I am not a welder, and it was all installed before I got a good look at it, though hopefully someone can post some good pics up with one done and show how it's done, and I'm sure some of you amateur ( and professionals of coarse) welders can probably tackle it yourself, ( though for the rest like me, leaving it to the professionals was easier.)
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

anything new on this?

anyone else buy one yet?

i need to see what it looks like so i can have an idea
Old Jan 11, 2007, 07:36 PM

Looks good. Can't wait to get mine moded.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 03:38 PM
Ink
Evolving Member

bump for any new info
Old Jan 17, 2007, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

This is funny, I love how everyone is sooo concerned about being protected in 3mph crashes...

Seems like a waste of money to me..
Old Jan 17, 2007, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Frenchy4g63
This is funny, I love how everyone is sooo concerned about being protected in 3mph crashes...

Seems like a waste of money to me..
well you take a hit with one and without one and im sure its going to help....i would rather have some protection either way. insurance will look at that as well to get out of paying you, so i hope you dont have one and just pray nothing happens to the rear.

people on some of these forums I just dont understand.

Quick Reply: Possible JDM IX crash bar fab