Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

100% Identical CARBON fiber hood?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2006, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I probably would have spent the extra $30 or so on the Seibon had I known. Everyone made it sound like it was a major pain to swap the stock vent onto the Seibon.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Stay away from Seibon. Their quality sucks. I've seen one OEM hood out of a dozen that fit right. And it's only a matter of time before it cracks and fades like EVERY Seibon hood I've seen.
Ask the guys at Atlantic Motorsports about thiers. They have four or five Evo's there with varying Seibon hoods and they all look like ***.

BTW, you can order OEM hoods online for $375 and free shipping. Do some searching...
Old Oct 13, 2006, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

I'll report back on mine in about six months. I'm sub-tropical so we'll see how the hood reacts to the sun down here.

$375 for an OEM hood???? Every shop I received an estimate from stated it was $850.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Carbon Fiber Sucks A$$, just get OEM hood, theres 100 for sale on here.

Try to remember carbon fiber hoods keep all the heat in your engine bay, Mitsu did their homework on this one they make evo hoods out of alum. to (a) save weight and (b) act as a huge heatsink. to disapate heat.

carbon is strictly for looks, and fits like crap

Carbon Hood FTL!
Old Oct 13, 2006, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Someone's gotta cough up the info on a new stock hood for $375....I haven't found any info after searching through countless threads.

I also haven't seen any apex silver hoods for sale on here either. I can't imagine the cost of purchasing someone's used hood, having it stripped, and then repainted. It'd be cheaper to start with a new OEM hood at $850 and having it painted. Not sure where those 100 hoods for sale are.

The aluminum hood is for weight savings only. That's why they put the big vent in the middle of the hood If they were really concerned about heat transfer, they wouldn't paint them or put insulating material on the bottom of the hood. Just my .2 cents.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Stock

The aluminum hood is for weight savings only. That's why they put the big vent in the middle of the hood If they were really concerned about heat transfer, they wouldn't paint them or put insulating material on the bottom of the hood. Just my .2 cents.
I would guess the insulating material on the bottom of the hood is to prevent us from touching the hood and burning our hands. Thats alot of potential lawssuits for mitsu right there They'd have to start putting "Caution Contents are hot" like the McD's coffee cups lol... I wouldn't spend 500+ for a hood that isn't lighter than stock id just rather keep the stocker...
Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Run your hood without the insulation material in place. What happens is that it'll eventually cause flaws in the paint on the top side of your hood. I know this, unfortunately, from personal experience. The insulation is to protect the hood's finish. Notice they only use it above what would be the hottest areas of the engine. As aluminum does conduct heat so well, I'm sure it does help to make the hood cooler to the touch around the front latch area too where most people would normally come in contact with the hood.

I really, really wanted to keep the stocker myself but at $1K+ with paint, this was a far less expensive alternative. I was even going to paint the hood until I saw the edges. Never ever park behind your wife's SUV when there's even the slightest chance she might be in a hurry at some point in the day. I learned the hard way!
Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

only thing i was worried about with mine was....here in chicago the snow is an issue, and i needed my stock one also for the winter so the salt does not turn the cf look yellow over time...so i put on my carbon one for reg year and then switch back to oe when winter hits.....just a heads up
Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:25 PM
Account Disabled

stay waway from vis

just like the title says
Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:29 PM

cheap stuff = cheap material