Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

100% Identical CARBON fiber hood?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2006, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
100% Identical CARBON fiber hood?

Does such thing exist?

I'm having to replace my hood after getting it bent up... Might as well go carbon fiber now and save some money and weight.

What I'm looking for is a 100% 1/1 Stock to Carbon Fiber transition..

I need something that can have the vent hole material transferred from stock to the carbon.. i don't want to put some chickenwire in there.. looks too tacky.

I've searched the forums a bit but couldn't find what I needed.

I know i've saw something like this on some pictures but can't find them...

Thanks in advance.

Old Oct 12, 2006, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

ive been wondering the same thing
Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hks kansai cf hood ftw.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

well i dont think any of the aftermarket cf hoods (oem style) come with the stock vent...you will have to modify the hood yourself to make the stock stuff fit onto the carbon...

but the top end hoods like monster sports, or hks, varis etc....they might but theyy areee very expensive...but...

for example: seibon. it comes with all the indentations of the stock hood but nothing is drilled out. you will need to custom everything to fit. This is something that is not hard to do but it will take sometime...just my .02 cents

good luck man!!
Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lancer EVO IX
hks kansai cf hood ftw.
1x1 weave for SHO son.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

I just purchased a CF hood under the same circumstances...dented the stock hood, er, well the wife dented the stock hood when she backed into it. Stock hoods run over $800 new unpainted so I thought the Street Concepts hood would be a good deal at $500 shipped. It allows you to transfer over the stock vent cover with drilling. Let me go snap some pics before I loose all available light here and I'll be back to give you all the details.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My OEM CF Seibon hood works great! water sprayer holes already predrilled, original vent and weatherstripping around it fit in no problem.....just had the hood color sanded and looks like new again!

I snapped these AFTER I had the CF hood color sanded ........OEM Seibon CF style hood with no issues.....

Last edited by SilverShadow03; Oct 12, 2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

SilverShadow show pix ?

And Mr Stock.. thanks for the pix in advance !
Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

SilverShadow: EXACTLY what I need! Looks awesome.. DROOL
Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is the link to Gruppe-S where I bought the hood from ...... scroll down...to Seibon and you'll see it.....there are other shops selling them.....so feel free to search for better pricing.....

http://gruppe-s.com/Evo/evoext.htm
Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, what I expected given the information I was given from Street Concepts on their website and in personal contacts with them on this forum:
9.9/10 for fitment
slightly dull surface (heck, I'd prefer matte!)
pre-drilled washer nozzle holes
rolled and not cut edges
good finish
able to transfer stock vent over from OEM hood

What I got:
7/10 fitment (IMHO). Lines up perfectly vertically, but the driver' side rises above fender by about 1/4 of an inch up front and 1/8" near the windshield. Passenger's side is perfect.
CUT edges, not rolled
NO pre-drilling as stated except for the hood prop rod
Was able to transfer over stock vent but there are "gaps" around the edge of the vent where the hood was cut to clear the stock vent (they cut too much in other words).
visible blemishes in the cf weave, but nothing major and heck, it was a $500 hood (with shipping) so what am I to expect?
Underside of hood is virtual match for stock hood so everything can be transferred over. The necessary holes must be drilled by you. Not much of an issue for me. It took me about 1/2 hour to install the vent mesh. There was no mesh that I had to cut out unlike the Seibon so installation didn't take long.
The gloss was very good. SC rates it at 8/10 but I couldn't see why...surface finish only had two small blemishes in it that I could find and that was really searching.

http://streetconcept.com/LANCER/LANC...N_OEM_HOOD.htm
That's where the info is on the fitment, gloss, and pre-drilling. Evo-MR stated the edges were rolled and not cut which is not true with the hood I received.

Wrapping it up, for the money, I'm not overly upset. Yes, I would most definitely prefer a hood without the listed flaws, rolled edges and holes pre-drilled. I'm most upset about the fitment along the driver's side fender, specifically the rise, and the gaps around the vent. It appears that a hood pin, latched tight, would fix this issue. I do not have pins in the hood as of yet. The latch is very solid and the hood doesn't flex/flap in the wind. Feels about the same weight as stock, listed as 2lbs. lighter (I believe it). From five feet, none of the flaws are super apparent. I did debate having the hood painted silver but with the cut edges, I decided against it.

The buying experience was 10/10. Hood was purchased easily, stock was checked, and it was shipped the same day. Arrived two days earlier than expected. Demerits for the lack of correct information however.
Attached Thumbnails 100% Identical CARBON fiber hood?-hood1.jpg   100% Identical CARBON fiber hood?-hood2.jpg   100% Identical CARBON fiber hood?-hood3.jpg   100% Identical CARBON fiber hood?-hood4.jpg   100% Identical CARBON fiber hood?-hood5.jpg  

Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Two more images
Attached Thumbnails 100% Identical CARBON fiber hood?-hood6.jpg   100% Identical CARBON fiber hood?-hood7.jpg  
Old Oct 12, 2006, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Hot
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My seibon hood fits like a glove. Now the trunk is a whole different story...
Old Oct 13, 2006, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

Robispec sells a lightweight carbon hood, do a search for nils he has some pics up or check robi's site, it's also lighter than stock.

Quick Reply: 100% Identical CARBON fiber hood?