Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Another set of Painted Stock Enkeis.....GOLD!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks good.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

damn thats pretty badass

i think its time to do something with my stock enkies
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:01 AM

Very nice. I like it. Are you thinking about powdercoating them?
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

That does look very good! How long did the whole process take?also how long did you wait for it to dry before driving on them?
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Ok. I'll try to answer all the questions.....

Yes I used Rustoleum for the Gold. It is part of their Bright Coat line of paint and is just called GOLD. They recommend NOT using clear coat over it but I wanted the extra protection of the clear so I used it. It is definitely "brighter" before the clear went on, but I like how it came out with the clear.

I do plan on having them powder coated, but rattlecan is a cheap way to figure out what color is going to look best. I thought for sure I was going to go bronze but after I painted them I didn't like the look as much as I thought I would. So I'm glad I didn't spend the money to powder coat them then. I really like how the Gold color looks so I'll see how they hold up through the winter and then have them blasted and powder coated next summer while they're off the car for the season.

When I painted them the first two times they were the only wheels I had and since it's a daily driver I had to do the whole job in a night. You need more time than that to do it right. This time I spent a total of about 6 days to do them. I did the prep, primer and basecoat for one wheel in one evening and called it good. Spent another night doing the prep, primer and basecoat for the next wheel and so on. The basecoat actually cured for about 3 days before I sprayed the clearcoat. I finished spraying the clear last week so they sat for nearly a week before I mounted them last night.

Hope that helps and thanks for the compliments.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

how did you not end up painting over the enkie sign? very clean. i really wanna know how.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TycoRacing702
how did you not end up painting over the enkie sign? very clean. i really wanna know how.
Probably took off the old stickers and slapped on some new ones.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

If you read earlier you would know. They are vinyl stickers put on after painting.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Box Rocket
Like I said this is the third time I've painted them. The first time I used some custom mixed gunmetal from the local autobody place. It actually didn't hold up all that well. The second time (when I did bronze) I used the duplicolor wheel paint. That stuff is actually darn good for wheel paint. It held up much better than the more expesive custom stuff I used. The only downside is color selection. They have a gunmetal, silver, bronze and white I think. Might actually have a gold too, but I used Rustoleum Bright Coat.

I sanded down to almost bare metal, but that probably isn't necessary, just rough up the surface enough for primer to adhere. I used 2 coats of rustoleum auto primer, 3-4 coats of paint, and 3-4 coats of rustoleum clear coat. The original Enkei stickers got sanded off, and the ones on there now are cheap Ebay vinyls.
Read the thread, guys...
Old Oct 25, 2006, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was wanting to do this to my blk evo so bad. your car wheels turned out awesome!
Don't know how big some of you guys will be on this but I was also wanting to do my brembos gold too. after seeing the Z's and STI's with the gold brakes, i liked it awhole lot better, I dunno just me i guess

anyways wheels look freakin sick
james
Old Oct 25, 2006, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

I like how the gold Brembos look on the STI/350Z/G35 too but I don't think it would look good with gold wheels too. You need some separation in the color. If you do gold wheels, don't do gold brakes.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

A few people have sent PM's asking about the gunmetal and bronze versions I had painted. Here they are.
Attached Thumbnails Another set of Painted Stock Enkeis.....GOLD!-gunmetalenkeis.jpg   Another set of Painted Stock Enkeis.....GOLD!-evo4_06.jpg  
Old Oct 25, 2006, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

The gold ones definately looks best for the black. Awesome job, and thanks for the gunmetal pics, that might go good on my silver.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks Box.

Humm...bronze looks pretty good too.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

awesome. Clean and nice.

Quick Reply: Another set of Painted Stock Enkeis.....GOLD!