Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Clay Bar

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2007, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I tried meguiars claybar, mothers claybar, and turtle wax ice claybar. By far zaino is by far the best.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

From personal experience try to wiped down the car with a regular cloth first. This will allow all the bulky impurties to wipe off leaving only the small ones. This will prevent any scratches.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 11:11 AM

Dudes, My frickin arm is sole after rubbing down the evo with the clay bar. It took me about 4 hours on saturday and another 4 hours on sunday to clay bar and to wax. But I have to say it looks awesome. I will take a pic tonight. Its well worth the hassle. My wife wants me to do her Honda Accord...ugh!
Old Mar 1, 2007, 06:46 PM

+1 for using the Meguiar's Clay Bar kit instead of the Mother's one. I didn't like the Mother's kit because 1) the quick detail spray reeks of cinnamon (I think... all I remember is wanting to vomit when I sprayed it) and 2) the clay doesn't seem to be durable or useful enough... with the Meguiar's or Clay Magic bar it's a lot more solid of a block and pulls up a lot more contaminants (in my eyes) whereas I felt like the Mother's bar was going to fall apart in my hand.

Kudos for using the clay bar in general, though. I talk to some people that are like "You're putting clay on your car??? Why would you do that???" Or when I bought my EB Evo IX new people didn't get why I clay barred a "new, perfect finish"... that's usually a bad idea with me since I start describing how my car was made 3 months prior in JAPAN and probably encountered its fair share of crap on its way to WI.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

dude ur arm shouldnt be tired at all w/ claybar..... watever lubricant ur using should make the claybar glide effortlessly. work in small portions and dont let the lubricant dry on the paint. dont know why u took 8 hrs to do it
Old Mar 2, 2007, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

yeah i can't wait till it gets warmer here. I haven't clay barred my car ever since i got it. It's been a year and a half so I hope i can take a before and after shot to see if there's any difference. I washed my car last week in the cold and i even waxed it, 2 days later it snowed, rained, and now it's raining some more... ... ... o well... hahaha just have to wash it again
Old Mar 3, 2007, 06:45 PM

And talk about exfoliating..........
Old Mar 3, 2007, 08:34 PM

I think it's funny when my girlfriend said "you spend more time clay barring your car than you do grooming yourself" which I replied with "well, bird crap, tar, and industrial fallout comes off of me a lot easier"

I also like:
girlfriend: "You spend more money on small microfibers for your car than you do on bath towels for yourself."
my response: "Well, I don't get swirl marks if I use a crappy towel." :-D

In all honesty, she's extremely supportive of my habit since she knows detailing my nice car is one of the best things to do with my free time instead of drinking, being a bum, etc. She can't complain a whole lot when I dedicate a whole day to detail her car, too
Old Mar 3, 2007, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

so what kind of lubricants do you use with clay barring? (quick detailers?)
Old Mar 3, 2007, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

if u are cheap u can use soap or go buy some quick detailer

read up
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...hreadid=222157
Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:23 PM

I personally use Meguiar's Speed Detailer for lubricant, but yeah, soap works well too. I generally start the spring with all of the nice products and then kinda mix it up between soapy water one time and speed detailer the next time. $7 a bottle for Speed Detailer vs. .... 2cents a bottle for soapy water for the same effect... I realize I shouldn't even bother with the speed detailer :-p
Old Mar 4, 2007, 04:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah Clay bar is the s*^^%t. My old car was like brand new after all.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by exceldetail

And talk about exfoliating..........
Patrick what are you doing on here?!?!?! I guess I've plugged you enough in my write up .
Old Mar 4, 2007, 08:37 AM

Oh, nothin......
Just seeing if I can help out in any way.......
I get bored in the usual detailing forums, so every now and then i find myself a new one and see whats happenin...=)
Old Mar 4, 2007, 07:27 PM

It's most fun when I show my mom pictures that look like the ones above after I detail her white car. She says "how did all that crud get on my white car when I just took it through the car wash last week and you washed it today?" *rolls eyes* moms are funny

Quick Reply: Clay Bar