Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Polishing Stock UICP... Need help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2007, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polishing Stock UICP... Need help

So Im bored... had a bad day at work and I want to polish my stock UICP to relieve some stress. My question being, what would be the best thing to use to get this to a nice polished finish. I guess as far as products, what I would need, and a simple step by step process. I've never really done anything like this.. I dont have like a grinder or anything to work with... so Im gonna have to use some good ole elbow grease.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old Mar 2, 2007, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get some sandpaper (wet) and sand from 1000 grit to 2000 grit (might also need 1500) afterwords just use some metal polish. You might even get away with only doing 2000grit then polish
Old Mar 2, 2007, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eve-slow
get some sandpaper (wet) and sand from 1000 grit to 2000 grit (might also need 1500) afterwords just use some metal polish. You might even get away with only doing 2000grit then polish
thx! I may do this when i get bored too!
Old Mar 2, 2007, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
This is from my friend.
Here's a quick run down of what I do. I start with 200 grit on aluminum taking out any pores, and casting flaws. get it as smooth as possible. Then keep moving up to 400, 600, 800 grit. When you are ready for 1000 grit you should be wet sanding at this point. Then go to 1200 grit, 1500, finish at 2000 grit. I use mother's mag and aluminum polish for the final shine.

Some people clear coat after thay are done to keep the lustor, I didnt and have to touch up the aluminum every now and them with the mothers to keep it a shiny.

A buffing wheel will really help though if you have large pieces like the intake manifold, but you still need to use the sandpaper first to cut down the aluminum to a smooth finish.

This was the method I used, but their are different ways of obtaining the same thing.

Heres a pic showing about the middle stage of my turbo housing compared to the old one. I used a stationary belt sander for starters, and then I believe I was on 200 grit by hand at that point.

Another pic with a quick buff from the mothers. I was at 1000 grit at that point an as you can see their was still plenty of fine lines to remove for a mirror shine.

I hand polished everything aluminum in my engine bay. It is no where near as shiny as chrome, but it is definetly better looking than what it was stock. My intake manifold was a PITFA.

I think chrome is a much better soltion for the show guys as you dont have to re-polish it, and it cleans up with windex and a paper towel. I would chrome my stuff if i was into shows as it makes cleaning up the engine bay much easier and faster.

One more, ****ty picture but it shows the 3" aluminum intake I made as well as my carbon fiber bracket.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

if the piping is smooth u can probably get away with steel wool it comes in diffrent course's. then finish it off with a good aluminum polish. i used the mothers powerball on a drill works nice for some easy quick buff action
Old Mar 3, 2007, 04:28 PM

Kidloco nice MR2 do you still have it? I would like to see some more pictures of it
Old Apr 21, 2008, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

bump for memeber who polish uicp, I just want to know the step of grades of sand papers used.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Steel wool .
Old Apr 21, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

i started out with some p600 grit and just kept sanding lol didn't have any others so just kept giving it a lighter and lighter touch.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kidloco51
this is from my friend.
Here's a quick run down of what i do. I start with 200 grit on aluminum taking out any pores, and casting flaws. Get it as smooth as possible. Then keep moving up to 400, 600, 800 grit. When you are ready for 1000 grit you should be wet sanding at this point. Then go to 1200 grit, 1500, finish at 2000 grit. I use mother's mag and aluminum polish for the final shine.

Some people clear coat after thay are done to keep the lustor, i didnt and have to touch up the aluminum every now and them with the mothers to keep it a shiny.

A buffing wheel will really help though if you have large pieces like the intake manifold, but you still need to use the sandpaper first to cut down the aluminum to a smooth finish.

This was the method i used, but their are different ways of obtaining the same thing.

Heres a pic showing about the middle stage of my turbo housing compared to the old one. I used a stationary belt sander for starters, and then i believe i was on 200 grit by hand at that point.

another pic with a quick buff from the mothers. I was at 1000 grit at that point an as you can see their was still plenty of fine lines to remove for a mirror shine.

i hand polished everything aluminum in my engine bay. It is no where near as shiny as chrome, but it is definetly better looking than what it was stock. My intake manifold was a pitfa.

i think chrome is a much better soltion for the show guys as you dont have to re-polish it, and it cleans up with windex and a paper towel. I would chrome my stuff if i was into shows as it makes cleaning up the engine bay much easier and faster.

One more, ****ty picture but it shows the 3" aluminum intake i made as well as my carbon fiber bracket.
+1