Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

cheap brempo coating gets a face lift...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2007, 03:36 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary 805
so now you have to do a write up. Also what did you use to take off the old powder coating? also whats it look like after you installed them back on man? lets see that.
Hey Gary. Wasup. Hows Virginia?
Old Mar 6, 2007, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

+1 on a writeup
Old Mar 6, 2007, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mdosu
he has an STi, they come with gold calipers.
oops my bad

I wanna do my calipers in gold w/ "brembo" in black
Old Mar 6, 2007, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

were did u get the brembo stickers?
Old Mar 6, 2007, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Very nice alternative to dealing with the dealerships... looks nice in black too..

+1 for the wrench time involved.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AutobonEvo
were did u get the brembo stickers?

Originally Posted by WillGroup5Motor
modern image in miramar down the street from us can make them, we went there and go them made for about 15 bucks..im still waiting to do mine..my gold is faded and stained. The process was pretty easy, patienced and prep is all you need.

Originally Posted by bandwagon
modern images made them for me they do a lot of decals and vinyls for cars.. they say that they use a high temp vinyl for the stickers...

there...
Old Mar 6, 2007, 05:00 PM

looks real good.
Im still trying to get the dealer to waranty mine
car only has 8500 miles
Old Mar 6, 2007, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

new pics added dont mind the crappy wheel paint... and the dirt and brake dust needs a bath
Old Mar 6, 2007, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks awsome....

Def need a writeup....

How did you remove the red? whats involved in the prep work??
Old Mar 6, 2007, 07:34 PM

I figured i'd do the write up for this. Its all rather simple. The tools youre going to need are as follows.

17mm socket
14mm socket
12mm socket
wire brush, preferably copper
breaker bar, unless you have a pneumatic gun
ratchet
brake piston spreader (not absolutly needed, but makes it easier to install the caliper with the pads)
brake bleeder, or do it the old fashion way and get a buddy pump and put a hose on the nipple so you dont leak any fluids on the calipers

Materials needed:
1 - 2 cans of VHT caliper paint. You can get that through my shop that I work at Group5 Motorsport.
1 - 2 cans of automotive clear coat. High temp engine enamel clear would work as well.
100 grit sand paper, as well as 300 grit sad paper.
2 cans of brake cleaner
1 large bottle of brake fluid, i.e. Motul, super blue or whatever you use for brake fluid.
baking sheet
Optional: Brembo stickers to replace the orignal logo. Modern Image in Miramar can make them for you. 15 dollars at the most.
Copper banjo washers if needed for the brakes lines.

Step 1: If you already know how to remove your brake calipers and brake lines move on to step 4...if not continue to read. Get your vehicle on jack stands or if available, a lift. Remove all 4 wheels.

Step 2: Removal of brake lines from calipers. When you remove the brake lines take your 12mm socket and if you dont want to be messy you can hang the lines up so the fluid doesnt leak as much or just zip tie a sandwich bag on the end. Remember to check the banjo copper washers on the lines and check them to be replaced. Replace if needed.

Step 3: Take your 17mm socket and loosen the 2 bolts holding the front calipers on. The rears are 14mm. Once you have taken the bolts out, the calipers will come off.

Step 4: Your calipers should be off now and still have the pads in them. There are two pins holding the pads in. Take a punch and tap them out. The pads will come out with no problem. Set them aside and remember which ones go to which rotor unless youre replacing them with new ones.

Step 5: Take some brake cleaner and spray off whatever brake dust and crud off the calipers. Then take your wire brush and get into the cracks removing any of the remaining grease and dust. You should have a fairly clean caliper.

Step 6: You really only need to get the old powdercoat roughed up and you dont have to fully remove it. The paint will stick fine. Take your sand paper, or sanding block and sand the old powder coat. It might take some time getting into all the cracks, but it will offer a better painting surface. So sand, sand, sand..and more sanding. Once you feel that its smooth and no grease or dust is left, clean off the calipers and make sure there ready to paint.

Step 7: Be sure to clog the banjo hole with something so you dont get any paint into the piston. VHT satin black caliper paint. You dont have to apply primer since the surface should be prepped fine and be adequete for the base coats of black.
Hang your calipers so you can apply the paint evenly. Apply 4-5 coats of black caliper paint. Allow proper time to dry in between so you dont get any ones.

Step 8:Once you get your coats on, throw it into the oven at 210 for about 15-20 mins to cure the base coat enough for clear coat. (The oven just speeds the process up, especially for the clear coat)

Step 9: Once out of the oven, make sure the base coat is dry enough to apply the sticker. Hang and it start applying the clear coats. Be sure you dont rush this point, the clear will drip much easier than the base coat. Apply 5-6 coats and throw it back into the over.

Step 10: Allow the calipers to bake in the overn for about 45mins or until the clear is dry enough for install. The finished product should look good if done properly.

Step 11: Follow steps 1-3 in reverse order to reinstall the calipers. If needed, use the piston spreader to make it easier to install the pads back into the caliper.

Step 12: Reinstall all the brake lines and be ready to bleed your lines. Be sure you have someone watching your level in your master cylinder so you dont allow any air into your lines and top it off. Or unless you have a seal cap to put on the end of you bottle and just stick the top of the bottle in there. You want to start with the caliper farthest away from the master cylinder. Which would be the passenger rear. Bleed both nippes doing the one closet to you, then the one on the inside. The inside one should take less time. Then do the driver side rear, then the passenger front, then finally the driverside front.

That should be everything, put your wheels back on and you should be good to go. If i missed any steps im sorry, but it should all be there. Good luck with it. If you need stickers made. Give me a call at Group5Motorsport 858.693.3278, ask for Will.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

someone (hint, hint) needs to post this ^^^ as a stick in the "how to" forum so I can find it later
Old Mar 6, 2007, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
good job man! looks great!
Old Mar 6, 2007, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

damn dude i want to do something similar. But i dont know how and no one around here messes with this type of thing.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:00 PM
Account Disabled

nice write up...
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:12 PM

This is a great write up, the calipers look awesome. How much does the paint cans cost and does the company you work for have a website we can order from?

Quick Reply: cheap brempo coating gets a face lift...