Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

New Seats, Harnesses, and Rollbar

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2007 | 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

1. Do not use the rear seats as an attachment point, it is not safe and is useless if you have a cage.
2. Did you not read the thread? He has a roll bar yet you ask does someone make a roll bar for the evo, seems kind of silly don't you think?
3. If you have a roll bar, you can't have passengers, it's that simple.
Old May 10, 2007 | 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

what you're looking at IS a rollbar.

Anything that allows use of the seats in the rear is going to be majorly ineffective, if you ever tumble the car.
Old May 10, 2007 | 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by ambystom01
1. Do not use the rear seats as an attachment point, it is not safe and is useless if you have a cage.
2. Did you not read the thread? He has a roll bar yet you ask does someone make a roll bar for the evo, seems kind of silly don't you think?
3. If you have a roll bar, you can't have passengers, it's that simple.
Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
what you're looking at IS a rollbar.

Anything that allows use of the seats in the rear is going to be majorly ineffective, if you ever tumble the car.
You are both correct. Please excuse my ignorance and poor choice of words.

What I'm talking about is something that still allows the back seat to be used. I DO believe that such a roll bar / loop (Whatever you would like to call it) could be effective. Certainly more effective than nothing at all. Maybe the lateral and transverse support bars could be made to be easily removable. I see many other replies/posts where people are looking for the same thing.

How can the rear seat belt attachment points not be a safe place to attach the harnesses to? This area is reinforced for just this purpose. Schroth and others recommend this method.
Old May 10, 2007 | 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Having passengers in the back is not safe. Think about it this way, which would win, their head or an inch think tube of steel? If you have a roll bar, why would you not attach harnesses to the bar instead of the back seats? Sure schroth and others recommend it, but that doesn't mean its the best setup or that safe. Do a search in the motorsports section for harnesses and you'll understand why.
Old May 10, 2007 | 01:44 PM

Having passengers in the back is not safe. Think about it this way, which would win, their head or an inch think tube of steel? If you have a roll bar, why would you not attach harnesses to the bar instead of the back seats? Sure schroth and others recommend it, but that doesn't mean its the best setup or that safe. Do a search in the motorsports section for harnesses and you'll understand why.
I have searched, and I thought I took into account all of the factors. I'm not talking about tracking the car with passengers in the back seat.

I'm not talking about the autopower 1/2 cage or a even a full cage. I'm talking about a single piece of tubing that would mount to the floor with some reinforcement and follow the b pillars up then across the roof. If this 'loop' required lateral or tranverse support to be MORE effective then these 'support bars' could be made to be easily removable for daily use.

Daily use would be just the loop and stock 3-point seat belts up front with and ocassional passenger using stock seat belts in the back.

On track days the additional 'support bars' could be quickly installed and the front 5-point harness could be attached to the rear seat belt mounts.
Old May 10, 2007 | 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jdeitch
I have searched, and I thought I took into account all of the factors. I'm not talking about tracking the car with passengers in the back seat.

I'm not talking about the autopower 1/2 cage or a even a full cage. I'm talking about a single piece of tubing that would mount to the floor with some reinforcement and follow the b pillars up then across the roof. If this 'loop' required lateral or tranverse support to be MORE effective then these 'support bars' could be made to be easily removable for daily use.

Daily use would be just the loop and stock 3-point seat belts up front with and ocassional passenger using stock seat belts in the back.

On track days the additional 'support bars' could be quickly installed and the front 5-point harness could be attached to the rear seat belt mounts.
the problem with that is that the rear bars slide INSIDE the loop on the rear, so it's basically tube inside a tube. theres no real load on the bolt installed.

With that in mind, theres no way to create that same strength, and have it easily removable.

besides, you need to trim the rear seats to get the bar from the wheel well to the top of the hoop.
Old May 10, 2007 | 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Think about how strong that would be in accident on the street. You'd then risk injury or death if you're using harnesses or just from the impact with the bar. In all likeliness the bar would snap and you would up with a pretty serious hazard in the car with you.
Old May 10, 2007 | 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Think about how strong that would be in accident on the street. You'd then risk injury or death if you're using harnesses or just from the impact with the bar. In all likeliness the bar would snap and you would up with a pretty serious hazard in the car with you.
if the bar was far enough behind you, and was just the hoop, it wouldn't be bad at all.

however, with a full cage, you have bars along the top sides, that'd be the same in the rear with passengers.

what it boils down to is a street car, or a track car.

Mine has a 6 point, with dual nascar bars, in it.
Old May 10, 2007 | 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

I'm thinking with just the hoop (no supports linking to the seat area) the bar wouldn't be able to handle the force experienced in an accident. If the bar snaps or bends, it could become a risk to the passengers and possibly the driver. If harnesses are being used there wouldn't be any rollover protection or the damaged bar could interfere with the function of the safety system.
Old May 10, 2007 | 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
the problem with that is that the rear bars slide INSIDE the loop on the rear, so it's basically tube inside a tube. theres no real load on the bolt installed.

With that in mind, theres no way to create that same strength, and have it easily removable.

besides, you need to trim the rear seats to get the bar from the wheel well to the top of the hoop.
Now we're talking creative feedback! We'll get this figured out yet!

The lateral and/or transverse bars are only designed to support the main loop. It is not necessary for them to have constant tension on them. I will do some more research and will also examine my own car to find the best spot for theses bars to mount. I know the chassis is reinforced where the rear seat belts mount and also around the rear door openings, especially where the latch attaches. I will look into designing an attachment point that mounts to these locations without hacking and/or cutting up the rear seat.
Old May 10, 2007 | 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Autopower roll bar is a tested product and is good for a street/track double duty car. Nobody should ever sit in the rear....might as well remove the rear seats...

That and the harnesses should be worn at the track and then still use the stock seatbelt on the street and thread it through the seat holes in the side.

The autopower is wAAAAy safer than any Cusco or Safety 21 roll bar.....those two might as well be Monkey Barz...u know the cages you see at car shows.
Old May 10, 2007 | 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Even with just the main hoop and cross bar there it would not be safe for rear passengers...the way the evo is setup the main hoop sits about a foot behind the b-pillar......in other words the cross brace (diagonal bar) that supports the main hoop would be right in the rear passengers face if they were in a crash.....

For any car that is going to have rear passengers...no roll bar at all will be safe unless you remove it everytime you want to seat passengers. Roll bar effectively makes your car a two seater with more cargo room in the rear.

Ever since I put my roll bar in the other car the only thing to sit back there was my track rims and tools and a jack...
Old May 10, 2007 | 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

objects in mirror appear to be losing...lol thats hot.
Old May 10, 2007 | 02:31 PM
Pocket Mo

Just out of curiosity, about how long would it take to put this roll bar in?

I know the OP had a shop do it, but I'm wondering because I want harnesses with a roll bar for the track but want the rear seats for daily driving. I'll be taking the roll bar out after ever track session but just want to see roughly how long it would take.
Old May 10, 2007 | 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

once you get it in, you WILL NOT remove it. i assure you. its not "an easy boltin".

Quick Reply: New Seats, Harnesses, and Rollbar