Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

removing powder coating

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2007, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removing powder coating

Ok I have stock evo 8 enkei's that were powder coated black about 2 years ago. Now the powder coating is all faded and scratched and just looks like ****. I'm going to to try the paint method from the How-to's section but first I need to remove the powder coating aside from sand-blasting. Anyone have any suggestions? I was told gasket remover would work...it did but only in certain areas of the wheel. I want to get this done, preferably this weekend, but I seem to have hit a roadblock before I really even started. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Old Mar 24, 2007, 06:16 AM
mot
Evolved Member

go to walmart
theres this stuff thats spray on i forgot what its called its in the paint section
works awesome you spray it on and leave it for 5-10 minutes then the stuff just
wipes right off i used it on my street bike wheels
Old Mar 24, 2007, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

USE Air craft stripper , its in a Blue 1 gallon Jug , They sell them at your Paint (PPG) Places . The BEST stuff out there . IF ANY BODY else is in the Restortoion Business , then trust me . It loves to remove Powerdercoat
Old Mar 24, 2007, 07:07 AM

Thanks I'll try them both

Last edited by wrxedout; Mar 24, 2007 at 07:09 AM. Reason: fast posting
Old Mar 24, 2007, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
That aircraft remover will only make a mess with powder coat. Removing paint and removing powdwercoat are two entirely different things. Powdercoat is much more robust. Aircraft stripper is the best paint stripper out. It will remove any paint with ease. It barely makes powdercoat soft however. I bought a brand new set of wheels last year. Thought I would change the color. Bought some aircraft stripper. Took five hours to strip one wheel. was very angry. Got a little faster on the second one. Got so frustrated I eneded up selling the wheels two stripped and two not. My advice is dont fool around with paint stripper on poweder coat. Save your sef the headache and have them sand blasted.
Old May 28, 2011, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
That aircraft remover will only make a mess with powder coat. Removing paint and removing powdwercoat are two entirely different things. Powdercoat is much more robust. Aircraft stripper is the best paint stripper out. It will remove any paint with ease. It barely makes powdercoat soft however. I bought a brand new set of wheels last year. Thought I would change the color. Bought some aircraft stripper. Took five hours to strip one wheel. was very angry. Got a little faster on the second one. Got so frustrated I eneded up selling the wheels two stripped and two not. My advice is dont fool around with paint stripper on poweder coat. Save your sef the headache and have them sand blasted.
Sorry to revive an old thread but I had to leave some feedback about this and my method. The brand you used probably sucked. Brands do make a difference.

I decided to do something different on my Kosei 15lb wheels. Originally they came with gunmetal powder coating. Color was nice but they had a few scratches and I couldn't find the correct color of paint to touch them up.

Here's the color they were originally:

I decided to strip the powder coat off the wheels myself using a chemical aircraft stripper. The stuff to use:

They sell it at O'Reilly and Advance auto parts. DON'T USE ANYTHING ELSE!!! I tried other brands such as Rustoleum and some crap they sell at Pep Boys. Nothing would strip the wheels like this stuff. I also tried the non aerosol version in a jug and it didn't work as good as the spray can. BE CAREFUL WITH THIS PRODUCT!!! It's very potent and just the over spray and vapor will burn your skin and eyes. The stuff even went through thin rubber gloves. Oven cleaning gloves may work better. Use in a well ventilated area.

Takes about 4 applications but the powder coating will eventually flake off. I used a stiff nylon brush to help. A metal brush would scratch the wheel. Underneath the coating was a nice aluminum finish thats been machined. I also did the back side.

Finished product:
Old May 28, 2011, 07:42 PM

ya! they came out good man!
Old May 28, 2011, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks Derek! I forgot to mention I cleared them with clear wheel paint. This will help keep the alum looking nice in the weather. Total cost was about 50 bucks and took 5 cans of stripper. Picture was taken in the garage with a flash. I'll try to get one in the sun.

I'd be curious what the stock Enkei and BBS wheels look like underneath the coating. I'd assume a nice machined finish.