Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Stealth Evo Front attempt...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2003, 10:30 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally posted by RA29
What a dumbass . . . painting the intercooler black.
Black absorbs heat like crazy.
Wear a black jacket out on a sunny hot day
Then wear a white or silver jacket.
I guarantee you wearing the black jacket will make you feel much hotter. Your Intercooler needs to be cool not hot.

Also as the others said, painting the intercooler reduces the heat transfer efficiency due to the paint.
Hi,

Your comments are welcomed, however, calling a member a dumbass is not.

This thread is somewhat unecumbered by the fact that the surface area of the outside edge of the heat exchanger is very small when compared to the total surface area. Consider a 6" mailing tube that has a 3" in diameter. Turn the tube around so you are looking down the tube. Now paint the edge facing you and notice the total amount of surface area you painted compared to the outside surface area of the tube. Not much huh?

Additionally, radiant heat absorbtion and heat transfer coeficient on an air-air heat exchanger are being interchanged. Can't do that.

Speedlimit....
Old Jun 17, 2003, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by xtnct

So, would one conclude that if you have anything bigger it will not really matter, well, at 70cfm anyway? Am I intrepreting the results correctly?
Well, I would be very cautious about interpreting those results, since they are at very low speeds relative to the speed of airflow to your intercooler.

The graphs in that document go up to airflow speed of around 200 fpm, while your front grill of your car can reasonably expect to have airflow speeds around 7000 fpm (about 80 mph).

Clearly it would be premature to interpret the test results of that document as being valid at speeds of 7000 fpm -- that airflow speed is so far away from the experimental range.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 10:53 PM

EVO? a stealth car? Lets see what else you gotta get rid of:

-4 inch high CF wing
-Vented hood
-Altezza rear lights
-Remove the Recaro seats
-Paint the brembo calipers black?

Goodluck.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

Looks pretty cool...

^_^
Old Jun 18, 2003, 01:15 AM
Evolving Member

it does look alright...

as far as airflow... airflow when spoken about in such like aerospace is like/acts like a liquid... it's flow can be disturbed or routed off... for example, take a hose to screens of various sizes and see how it's affected by the smaller openings of smaller screens... you can feel that resistance in your hands... that's kinda like how the air would react when confronted with smaller holed meshing... smaller holes equal more metal/wire mesh which would impact negatively on airflow as there's more surface to impede.

The painting part? well... i do like the look of it, i must say... but, in theory you are placing a layer of material on the surface... this could possibly be looked at as, either blocking as an extra layer the cool air would have to get through to cool as intended, or, it could act like an additional coating for the heat to be exchanged out of... also, if you added the mass of the paint itself, it may also restrict at least slighty, the air that must flow through the IC to the radiator by the ducts in the IC...

It would definetly save costs on IC damage though... that i do agree... but, it might do damage in otherways, be it performance or engine reliability... heat can kill even the strongest engine... I'd just keep eye on everything, just in case... if nothing goes wrong, well, then that's great, lot's of ppl will be following suit...

but... if my IC got pretty beat up, it'd give me an excuse to upgrade to a higher/bigger model... say a Greddy 4-row, with N2O IC cooldown sprayer...
Old Jul 7, 2003, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Would you mind me asking how you got that screen mesh to stay in there? I got some black screen window mesh and I want to put it over the intercooler area on the inside so bugs and rocks won't bend the fins on my intercooler.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

very nice
Old Jul 7, 2003, 04:32 PM

plus the extra paint makes it heavier. LOL
Old Jul 7, 2003, 04:41 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
As far as performance goes, it does not appear be very detrimental. Using xtnct's road dyno, his car (with painted intercooler and screen mesh) recorded 5 more HP than my EVO without. Go figure.

Speedlimit..
Old Jul 7, 2003, 05:44 PM
Account Disabled

Painting the IC black....one of the best sleeper mods I have ever seen......great idea!
Old Jul 7, 2003, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Except that it looks like ***! Looks like somebody giving you a big smile just after removing their dentures.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

i likey.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 06:07 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Tarmac Black
plus the extra paint makes it heavier. LOL
Weight of the extra paint is a wash. The additional weight is offset by the cumulative total of factory paint that disappears from chips every day as a result of daily driving.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very true. Everytime I wash it I see more nicks.
This is in places you would never even get them.
paint
Old Oct 19, 2003, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by Speedlimit
As far as performance goes, it does not appear be very detrimental. Using xtnct's road dyno, his car (with painted intercooler and screen mesh) recorded 5 more HP than my EVO without.
That means nothing unless you guys swapped intercoolers and tested with the same car. I think black intercoolers are cool, but I would have sent it out to PerformanceCoatings for their heat emitter coating vs. rattlecan black.