Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Stealth Evo Front attempt...

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2004, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RA29
What a dumbass . . . painting the intercooler black.
Black absorbs heat like crazy.
Wear a black jacket out on a sunny hot day
Then wear a white or silver jacket.
I guarantee you wearing the black jacket will make you feel much hotter. Your Intercooler needs to be cool not hot.

Also as the others said, painting the intercooler reduces the heat transfer efficiency due to the paint.
You are SOOOOOOOOOOOO smart, you must know everything.

Why dont you actually do some research and figure out what your talking about before you open your mouth and insult people. Greddy yes the turbo people ran tests on this a while back and it doesnt make one god dam iota of difference in performance if you paint the IC black
Old May 18, 2004, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Liandrin11
Oh the poor thing . FMIC's are beautiful; I just don't understand it. Darker colors are heat absorbers and lighter colors are heat reflecters when dealing with sunlight. The black will definitely not transfer heat as efficiently. Also, ANY coating of paint will act as an insulation, no matter how slight. Each of those tiny little aluminum fins are now wearing a nice little black winter coat for the love of god when really all they wanted was to be naked on a cold, cold day .

see post above. only I dont mean to be disrespectfull to you just him and any one else in the thread who insulted the guy for painting his IC. You can tell me Im wrong and you can think that too but I'll take actually sceintific data from a respected aftermarket parts house over the bench racers that often populate this baord.

Last edited by absinthe; May 18, 2004 at 09:52 AM.
Old May 18, 2004, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Damn, I spent a whole day trying to polish my IC to a chrome like shine (end tanks). I wanna show of the bad boy, not mask it. I want drivers ahead of me to get a mirror full of intercooler coming at them. In fact, I want a bigger, brighter shinnier one. Whatever makes you happy. Who are we to criticize.
Old May 18, 2004, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks sleeper . This is something to consider if you don't want you car broken into. Great job xtnct.
Old May 20, 2004, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

screw that idea
'

I preffer showing off a huge front mount besides most people that drive sports cars and mod them and/or ricers haha know what an EVO is and looks like they know its Turbo out of the box so theres really no point hiding it. IMO
Old May 20, 2004, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

i agree with 2cool... painting yourself is different then painting with OEM specs. They use fine mist paint spray and possibly paint made for radiators and intercoolers. Did you use paint specifically made for it? My guess is, your black IC looks nice but you made a nice layer of auto paint which will reduce efficiency noticably.
Old May 20, 2004, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

i also agree with people that a black intercooler will be less efficient. ever sit in a black car or a white car in the summer? its night and day. i'm sure in the end it will be a marginally difference between a black or silver IC but hey why hurt efficiency?
Old May 20, 2004, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

The Black painted FMIC is awesome!! In Stealth mode
Old May 20, 2004, 06:42 AM
JDF

Originally Posted by SinCityEvo
Damn, I spent a whole day trying to polish my IC to a chrome like shine (end tanks). I wanna show of the bad boy, not mask it. I want drivers ahead of me to get a mirror full of intercooler coming at them. In fact, I want a bigger, brighter shinnier one. Whatever makes you happy. Who are we to criticize.

Polishing reduces surface area and would reduce the ability to radiate the heat. haha Although it was just the end tanks and I doubt that the % of heat transfer from the end tanks is significant compared to the heat exchanger portion.

The right paint may actually increase efficiency if the coefficient of heat transfer Al-paint-air is greater than that of Al-air. Plus if it is not smooth and creates turbulant airflow rather than laminar, the heat transfer improves.
Old May 21, 2004, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

I used to have a screen on my Evo and i took it off due to the fact, it does loose airflow through the ic. Here is the best way to test it out. Get one of your gf/wf hairdryer and put it on high. Get a piece of the screen and move it side to side covering and uncovering the hairdryer as it blow air. Guaranteed you will notice a big reduction in the amount of air going through the air as to no screen at all. What happens is, those little "holes" deflect the air flow and causes turbulence, so instead of going straight, it goes every which way it wants to. If you don't believe me, try it yourself.

Last edited by ex-honda; May 21, 2004 at 04:57 PM.
Old May 21, 2004, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 954DRGSR
I believe that Swain Tech has a special black coating called Black Body Emitter especially for IC's. It's supposed to improve thermal conductivity over bare aluminum.
This is correct. I was thinking about doing this to my intercooler. I just read about it in Sport Compact Car. Here is a link to Swain's web site. They claim it increases the thermal efficiency of you IC.

http://www.swaintech.com/race.html
Old May 22, 2004, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

well..Im not gonna flame anyone...but logically and factually....you should not paint your intercooler....Im not a master mechanic....nor am I some techy scientist....but I do ask alot of questions and I always try to not be ignorant...you wont lose alot of power but you definitely will reduce the efficiency to some degree...without major mods and if youre not racing i dont think it will make THAT much of a difference if youre going for asthetics..same with blocking airflow....Ive actually tested this on my GLHS way back when (Id love to find another one)....they used to come with painted intercoolers on the side of the radiator...a common practice was to put the intercooler in paint thinner remove the paint and the car had a more brisk feeling to it...forget jackets and color...put all that aside...even if you painted it silver...youre still coating the aluminum which conducts temperature so well..thats why there is an intercooler sprayer...it sprays water to increase the ability to dissipate that heat through the evaporation of the water off the fins...when you coat these fins you eliminate, to a small degree, the aluminums ability to do this.. if you dont believe me....here is an expert opinion (Im certainly no expert)

http://www.bellintercoolers.com/Pages/tech.asp#aa
Old May 22, 2004, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

these thermal conductivity coatings are obviously the exception..they seem to conduct heat better than aluminum.....i say we make the intercoolers out of that stuff.....i think they key to intercooler efficiency is to find the alloy or whatever that conducts heat the best..for u stealth guys....maybe its a dark color...who knows...i think we need a metallurgist to tell us this...but...i bet at some point there will be ceramics that may take the place to aluminum intercoolers...
Old May 22, 2004, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This forum is yet another winner... Nobody will probably see my response, but I have to give one anyway. First, I like the black look, I think it looks pretty badass. If the guy likes it then I dont see what the problem is. Four pages of arguing if the paint will reduce horsepower. Who really cares, whats it going to drop? 3 whp? If its black it will absorb more heat from the sun? Thats irrellevent, the sun wont heat it quick enough to make any difference on a moving car. Using my engineering expertise on this one, Im going to say he'll lose 1% whp or less, and thats on a sunlite burning hot day over the same car in the same conditions with an unpainted intercooler.
Nobody will see ceramic intercoolers on the street for hundreds of years. Simply too expensive to manufacture, especially for a marginal gain. Al is a decent heat exchanger, one of the better ones for its price and strength/weight ratios. Aluminum is here to stay for IC's.
Old May 23, 2004, 09:42 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Pesto360
well..Im not gonna flame anyone...but logically and factually....you should not paint your intercooler....Im not a master mechanic....nor am I some techy scientist....
A light coat on the outside (front) edge of the heat exchanger will make little difference. The front edge total surace area as compared to the entire cooling surface area is minimal, as long as cooling channels are not clogged with paint.

Originally Posted by 2GDSM
This forum is yet another winner... Nobody will probably see my response, but I have to give one anyway.
We have a constant parade of "experts" who offer superior technical input without a superior edge. I hope you are the latter.

Speedlimit...