Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Stealth Evo Front attempt...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2003, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stealth Evo Front attempt...

Well, I painted my IC black. I really like it. Just for kicks, I also installed regular screen door mesh in front of the mesh parts on the front end. I can't decide if I like it or not. From far away, it looks kinds neat, from up close, kinda cheap. I may rip it out...not sure yet. Here are some before and after pics (not very good):

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Last edited by xtnct; Jun 15, 2003 at 06:47 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

i think it looks pretty cool! i liek it, specially since u cant see the intercooler so alot of peopel that dont know the evo wont knwo its turbo and will be shocked after they get there asses handed to them!
Old Jun 15, 2003, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

WOW!! That looks really cool.. i love how you can't see it..that is awsome!! I can't really tell a differnce with the mesh..so but the black IC is
Old Jun 15, 2003, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Watch your air temps... that small an opening screen will have an effect on airflow.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Very nice look... the black FMIC especially. I think the screen may be too fine and restrict air flow too much, but time will tell I guess. If it doesn't restrict air flow or hamper performance at all, then it will definitely help protect that soft metal in the long run.... good deal, dude.
-N
Old Jun 15, 2003, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 2Cool
Watch your air temps... that small an opening screen will have an effect on airflow.
I was wondering about that myself... but I could not find any proof of this. At this point, to me, it is a hypothetical assumption. I'd like to see real world proof to the contrary. Also, the mesh may only create some turbulance before the rad/IC, but I'm sure the openings in the mesh are large enough (about 1-2mm x 1-2mm each hole) for air molecules to pass through.
I could argue hypothetically, that the screen mesh will actually prevent insects from lodging inside the IC & rad, and prevent road debris from bending the slits, thereby maintaining maximum flow at all times and increase cooling effciency.
But yeah, I was planning on keeping an eye on things, just to make sure.

Last edited by xtnct; Jun 15, 2003 at 06:47 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 2Cool
Those 'small an openings' should be fine. K&N use the same size mesh to make their air-filters with the oil/cotton setup, they claim it flows nearly as much as an open element filter. It should be fine without affecting air flow. It can even catch bugs! Look!
Old Jun 15, 2003, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

I think you guys are using some bad analogies there... how about this one... ever stand on a screen porch on a hot day, watching the slight breeze moving the tree leaves, yet feeling hardly any air moving inside? Ever see an OEM installed screen over the radiator on any vehicle? Theres a reason for it, it will and does effect airflow. If you run a thermistor under the hood, you will see a difference. I prefer to let my intercooler breathe, not choking it off with a screen or paint, but its your call for your own car...

If you want to actually see proof of this, how about a nice mathematical description of the effect of a screen on airflow, with the size of the mesh opening related to backpressure and velocity: Air Flow

Last edited by 2Cool; Jun 15, 2003 at 07:35 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Did you use the regualr black mesh screen or aluminum painted black?? I would opt for aluminum for durability sake... I've been thinking about doing the IC section with a layer of aluminum screen to keep the bugs and rocks out of the fins...

Doesn't painting the IC reduce the heat transfer??

Looks real nice
Old Jun 15, 2003, 07:48 PM

cool, now you lost some intercooler efficiency by spray painting it black.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

I'd do the experiment to settle this once and for all, but I lack one piece of equipment (the speedometer on bike). If any of you have all the required items to perform an experiment, please do so. I'm really curious what the results are.

ITEMS:
1. 20" fan or similar (more than one stting would be nice)
2. some screen door mesh (or take it out of your door)
3. bicycle with a speedometer
4. old deck of cards (or similar)
5. stopwatch

PROCEDURE:
- place the bike upside down say 3" in front of fan
- place a few cards in the spokes (like when you were a kid) to catch some of the air to make the wheel spin)
- turn fan on
- wait till you get a constant speed on the speedometer. Make sure the speed is constant for say about 30 seconds
- place the screen mesh between fan and bike (make sure you do not change the distance between bike and fan)
- wait for a new constant speed, note the speed change if ANY
- reapet above for each of the sttings on fan

Don't hypothesize, prove it! If anyone has access to better tools/methods, be my guest.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Ibiza013
Really? How do you figure that?
Why was the top of the IC already painted black from the factory? (go check your car)
Why did mitsu paint the oil cooler black then? (go check your car)
Why somone (mitsu team?) paint their red diamonds on a rally car IC if it decreases performance (pic in this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ooler+painting)
Why did my NEW aftermarket radiator (for another car) come painted black then? (sorry, don't feel like digging up the pic)

Last edited by xtnct; Jun 15, 2003 at 08:12 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Ibiza013
Hey the factory sprayed the oil cooler black too. Get some paint remover...can't have the factory do that.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

why do cars come with Radiator painted black and the AC condenser painted black?

Black may be pretty good at heat transfer???

Last edited by modvp; Jun 15, 2003 at 08:22 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Normally they are painted with a very thin coat of paint thats actually designed for use on a radiator, but even then it slightly decreases efficiency. OEM radiators that come painted black are done that way for one main reason... corrosion prevention. Its the lesser of evils to prevent corrosion at the expense of some lost efficiency. But if you notice, most performance radiators are bare metal, and even the emblemed example is only a rather small area of the total cooling area, which doubtless deems worthwhile for the advertising it provides.