Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

C/F hoods

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2007 | 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

C/F hoods

ok i was being stupid and not really paying attention and rear ended someone yesterday. i feel like such crap!! its got to be the worst feeling in the world(kinda like someone beating up your girlfriend lol). anyway since the hood is shot i want to get a c/f hood.i hear about wet c/f and dry c/f and have searched and cant find any good answers. i think the wet might be more expensive but i am not sure. i also heard the wet has a different look then the dry. can someone enlighten me on this. another issue i have is there has got to be 50 different c/f hoods, so i dont know which one to get. i hear a lot of people having fitment issues with seibon but have not heard any to much about all the other companies.please help me with the dry and wet issue and some good info on what c/f hood you have, how the fitment was, is it dry or wet c/f. i just want a good fitting hood and want to know about the wet dry thing.if someone could post a pic of a wet and a dry c/f next to each other would be great!! i was very close to buying a chargespeed c/f hood today but was not sure and i haven't heard to much about there c/f hoods. well thanks ahead of time guys. your help is always greatly appriciated.
Old May 8, 2007 | 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

bummpp
Old May 9, 2007 | 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

please someone help me out..
Old May 9, 2007 | 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

Dry CF is lighter but more brittle than wet CF. Wet CF usually has that slick look (from the clear coat) and dry CF isn't clear coated? Someone correct me if I'm wrong anywhere. It's been a while lol
Old May 10, 2007 | 03:06 AM
Evolved Member

wet carbon is what it looks like...wet...as in the clear coat.

dry carbon is dry...IMHO it's gross looking.

let me find you some pics really quick, but I know you want to get a wet carbon hood for your car.
Old May 10, 2007 | 03:16 AM
Evolved Member

wet carbon :

dry carbon :

Old May 10, 2007 | 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Plus, make sure it has good UV protection.
Old May 10, 2007 | 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

The main benefit of dry carbon is weight savings due to not having multiple coats of clearcoat.
Old May 10, 2007 | 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Most of the weight savings in using dry carbon is because of the lack of resin.

Wet carbon is made pretty much the same way fiberglass is made. Get a mold, lay in sheet of CF, resin, repeat, clearcoat, wet sand and buff.

Dry carbon is when the sheet is put into a mold, then vacuum bagged and baked.

If, you were so inclined, you could get a dry carbon hood and have it cleared.

Dry carbon is lighter, stiffer, and more expensive. 90% of the carbon hoods out there are wet carbon. C-West makes a dry carbon option.
Old May 10, 2007 | 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

well besides the wet and dry carbon, i am not totally sure on what brand to go with as you can refer to post #1.like i said i have an oppertunity to buy a chargespeed c/f hood, but i dont know. i dont want to have fitment issues and a good quality piece without spending $1600 on the ralliart hood. thanks for all the help guys.
Old May 10, 2007 | 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

The lightest carbon hood I know of is the one Robispec sells. It looks just like stock, it is wet carbon, it is very thin, fitment is perfect.

You will need to use hood pins with it, just as you would with any carbon hood other than Seibon.

Quality carbon hoods such as Varis, C-West, Gialla, will all fit very nicely. I would imagine Chargespeed would be just as good fitment wise.
Old May 10, 2007 | 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

see i didnt really want to get hood pins if i didnt have to. does anyone now of any c/f hoods that u dont need the pins with. i thought u dont need them with chargespeed.thanks for all the help and please post if you have a c/f hood what brand out how it fits. and also if you need hood pins or not.
Old May 10, 2007 | 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

pins aren't bad. they sell aerocatch hoopins, and robi can actually instal them before shipping you the hood. the blend in with the hood, you can barely even see them.

as for the dry and wet, they are called that because of different processes to make them. dry carbon is a lot stronger and lighter than wet carbon. somebody said dry carbon was more brittle, that's completely false. dry carbon is the strong stuff. dry carbon usually has a flat/satin finish probably because it's meant to be painted. race cars use dry carbon instead of the wet stuff because it's a higher quality, more durable, stronger, and lighter. wet carbon and generally all carbon sold to the public is crap compared to the stuff they make for race applications.

personally, i'd stay away from seibon. i hate them. i had one of their trunks, and it fit like total ****. i have one of their hoods and after 3 months it turned green. after 4 months, the clear coat started peeling, and spotting. now after about 8-9 months of being on the car, the clear is cloudy, spotted, and green. it looks like ****. the weave also isn't very good. it's 2x2 weave, unlike the 1x1 weave on our wings, and other JDM parts like the ralliart lip.

if you want a good hood, go with chargespeed. i have a chargespeed carbon trunk, and it's gorgeous. the weave is beautiful 1x1, the clear coat is great, and it's lighter than the seibon trunk was. the contstruction is also much much better. i'm going to be replacing my ****ty seibon hood with a chargespeed unit soon. good luck.

oh, and if you'd like good prices on everything, check with jeffrey at 500whp.com. he'll hook you up.