Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Carbon Fiber Trunk Spring?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2007, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Carbon Fiber Trunk Spring?

Hey guys, quick question. I'm in the process of installing my carbon fiber trunk and only plan on using the interior release to open/close it. Due to its lower weight it now flings itself open with the force of a 11th century trebuchet

I'd like to not have a potentially lethal trunk opening, however appealing the idea of a potato launching trunk is. So what are my options? Is there a way to adjust the spring force on the stock unit? Would getting an evo RS spring help/ be cost effective? Does anyone sell a kit to help reduce this at all?

Thanks for the help guys.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 02:58 PM

get a really heavy spoiler
Old Jun 3, 2007, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe you could get a ball, light it on fire, and open up your trunk to fling it at STi's

Old Jun 3, 2007, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Adamk24
Hey guys, quick question. I'm in the process of installing my carbon fiber trunk and only plan on using the interior release to open/close it. Due to its lower weight it now flings itself open with the force of a 11th century trebuchet

I'd like to not have a potentially lethal trunk opening, however appealing the idea of a potato launching trunk is. So what are my options? Is there a way to adjust the spring force on the stock unit? Would getting an evo RS spring help/ be cost effective? Does anyone sell a kit to help reduce this at all?

Thanks for the help guys.
No clue, but you posted a funny. Thanks for the laugh.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

ive heard the rs trunk spring will work. My lancer had this same issue and that was even with a cerious CF evo VIII wing on it. I went with a redline tuning trunk lift kit. heres link to my thread with a review and pics.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...trunk+lift+kit
Old Jun 3, 2007, 03:24 PM

i would hook up a truck release to my remote alarm so i can hold the truck and pop it with a single button??? might work
Old Jun 3, 2007, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

yeah. If you had a nice alarm you could... But, if you read my thread. The tension bars actually started warping my seibon trunk. I had to remove the tension bars so it would flatten out again. I got sick of holding my trunk open while getting in it so a trunk lift kit could solved both my problems. Plus, they look good. haha
Old Jun 3, 2007, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
take the spring off. the spring will eventually warp your trunk.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

I'm thinking about just removing my stock spring and leaving it un-sprung for a while. Any problems with doing this?

I would most likely put a set of shocks on it later to help keep it open. I don't the sound of a warped trunk.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Adamk24
I'm thinking about just removing my stock spring and leaving it un-sprung for a while. Any problems with doing this?

I would most likely put a set of shocks on it later to help keep it open. I don't the sound of a warped trunk.
yeah. I went with nothing at all for a while. I just pop it from inside (no keyhole). It would pop just enouph to get my fingers under it. I just got so tired of holding the trunk open I decided to get the lift kit. Removing the springs would be a great idea. My trunk literally warped over an inch in the middle. I was pissed. Luckily it flattened out.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

take one of the cross "springs" off, i did it to mine and works like a champ. it pops and springs up about an inch and sits there. first time i popped mine i threw up and passed out thinking that i just ruin my brand new varis trunk lid. i came to and it wasn't damaged at all thank god. i have my factory wing on by the way. not sure if the same mod would work without it. gl
Old Jun 4, 2007, 01:43 AM
Evolving Member

I had to remove the spring...sometimes is pain we need to use the trunk but most part doesnt bother me
Old Jun 4, 2007, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
can't you unhook like one side or something, that's what i heard people were doing... or maybe they meant both sides...
Old Jun 4, 2007, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Unhook one spring and it works perfectly.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

one spring will not work. At least with a CF trunk. I tried that first thing.... The one side with pressure on it sat about 1" higher then the other side.... Looked like crap. Then it took me and my brother a good 5 mins of struggling to get the spring back in.... ended up taking them both out later after it started warping...

Do not remove just one spring imho.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Trunk Spring?